Metal Storm logo
Internet Warriors Of The World Unite

Written by: Marcel Hubregtse
Published: 07.11.2009

Disclaimer: Although this blog was written out of frustration concerning the last couple of doom gigs I attended it can just as easily be applied to any other subgenre of metal when it comes to the respective underground.

This blog actually started off as the introduction for my Dutch Doom Days report but because of the way it progressed I have decided to post it as blog instead.

It's fall, so that means it's that time of festival season again. Yes, Dutch Doom Days on the last weekend of October, and this will be edition number eight.

Unlike last year's edition, which focused more on the more extreme side of doom, this year's edition had its eyes set on the more tradional side with some touches of sludge and death/doom.
Like last year, Metal Storm set off with a three man strong delegation consisting of Lucas, Dismaleuphony and Marcel.

Upon entrance of the always intimate and welcoming Baroeg club the first thing that was noticeable was the fact that there seemed to be a lot less people present at that hour in comparison to last year. Unfortunately this first impression seemed to be the right one, for during the entire weekend I don't think more than 150 people were present per day, maximum, and the lowpoint would be the attendance during Sunday's headliner Count Raven with at most 40 people still present.
So, this is apparently the state doom metal is in? Well, those present, including the bands, had a blast and showed those not present to be wrong.

Reasons? Recession, probably a big factor, since the Irish contingent wasn't present, neither were the Spaniards and some other non-Dutch, but why o why were there almost no Dutch present? Can't be due to the fact that on the same weekend a black metal festival was being hosted in Arnhem.
It probably has to do with the fact the line-up, although very appatising for the doom metal connoisseur wasn't as appealing for your regular metaller. But then again only 25 euros for a weekend consisting of 14 bands, so what if you don't know 12 of them? There is bound to be something surprisingly good and unknown there for you.

But here you have it, the state of metal worldwide. Always complaining that one only knows one or two bands of a line-up and that it therefore is so extremely expensive. Take a chance, check out those unknown ones, they are the ones that need support, not the well-known established acts. Bands such as the ones playing here this weekend (Tekhton, My Lament, Unsilence, Process Of Guilt, Saturnalia Temple, The Prophecy, Lord Vicar, Fatum Elisum, Möse, Sardonis, The 11th Hour, Spiritus Mortis, Ereb Altor, Count Raven make zero to no money from record sales and don't make anything from touring and merchandise either because of the herd mentality of the brainwashed mainstream metaller. Yes, that's you there that didn't show up and will never show up to support the underground. But whine you do that cd's are so expensive, that your favourite band doesn't tour your country. Well, get off your ass, stand up from behind your computer, stop downloading music, stop being that internet keyboard warrior. Go out, support your local underground, become active. Have you forgotten about the do-it-yourself ethics of metal? Apparently so, because you want everything handed to you on a golden platter. Doing nothing but getting loads of fun in return. All you do is whine and moan. Wake up, that's not how the world works. Keep on going the way you currently are and metal will die. Were it not for the fact that, thank God, there are still the underground bands around willing to work their ass off, travel across Europe for just fuel money, some food, and a place to sleep (albeit on the floor) and also thank God for the organisers like those that organise Dutch Doom Days and are willing to stick their necks out financially, same of course applies for clubs such as Baroeg and booking agencies.

So here is one mighty hail to bands, organisers, clubs, booking agencies, and record labels still willing to stick their necks out and support the underground and a big raised middle finger and shouted Fuck Off And Die to all you donwloading internet keyboard warriors.

Support the underground, or perish.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 39   Visited by: 226 users
24.11.2009 - 22:23
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 24.11.2009 at 22:19

Uh, wow, that's just cold. Seriously. My mother might be naggy and controlling, but I still love her. Don't even joke about that shit, man.

Mm a naggy and controlling mum, yet you love her. Let me guess, your real name is Norman Bates?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

24.11.2009 - 22:32
Insineratehymn
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.11.2009 at 22:23

Written by Guest on 24.11.2009 at 22:19

Uh, wow, that's just cold. Seriously. My mother might be naggy and controlling, but I still love her. Don't even joke about that shit, man.

Mm a naggy and controlling mum, yet you love her. Let me guess, your real name is Norman Bates?

This conversation is over.
25.11.2009 - 09:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by BitterCOld on at 01:00

and it's a clear sign how bad the record industry is doing based on how many tours are going on.

we're getting a ton down here. i guess bands like being in our 75 degree weather when winter rolls around.

Actually it's the opposite here. We've gotten the least amount of tours I've ever noticed, even less than when gas prices were higher. I also noticed that European bands are touring in my area even less than before. Still, ticket prices have remained the same. For how rainy, cloudy, and grey Seattle is, it's a wonder why we get one doom band a year :/
25.11.2009 - 15:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Dangerboner on 25.11.2009 at 09:07

For how rainy, cloudy, and grey Seattle is, it's a wonder why we get one doom band a year :/

For doom you gotta move to Maryland I guess.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.04.2010 - 21:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I really want to stay away from the "Romanian metalhead stereotype" if you know what i mean, the fact is many people here don't have enough money to buy CD's very often, so far i only have one CD which i bought(a reasonably well-known national act, Trooper) and one i got for free. but there are of course many many people who prefer to spend the money on their favorite band's discographies and shit. the fact is, i don't want to make people not see their favorite bands or something, but FFS they already have millions of $ in sales, why the hell would they need another 8-9 euros from you? all this while good underground bands are starving to death playing in front of 4 people(like Anvil in their documentary, that was one of the saddest things i've ever seen ) with album sales that could barely insure basic survival if they kicked out 2-3 members (best case).

what i found pretty ironic was this: i was at a Trooper concert since it was my birthday and, as always, there were lots of crazy young fans around. they were playing a long set, i think it was at least 1 hour and 45 minutes, so i had to take a piss-break near the end. i see the merch stand and surprisingly the guy sitting there still had a whole box of Trooper and other band's CDs.

the only overall album i like and bought from them is their last one, which imo is really really good and absurdly cheap(15 lei, or something like 3.5 euros, same price as their other 3 albums), but FFS everyone there was chanting along through the whole show, they didn't even play any cover songs too, but still the guy had a pretty full box of cd's. it might be that the concert wasn't over yet and there were still many people that bought albums after the gig was over, but in retrospective it was really a bummer to hear everyone there singing along like crazy and the guy at the merch stand just sitting around with a box full of the same band's albums at just 15 lei(or something like 2.5 beers in the same slightly overpriced venue)
17.05.2010 - 01:54
The Turbanator

Marcel - I appreciate what you wrote.

I read this line about 'stop downloading and start supporting'.

I have an issue with downloading. You see, the place where I live at (Malaysia) has banned metal totally from the radios, stores and everything. No albums allowed to be sold, no shirts, no banners, nothing.

And I'm a big big black metal fan (thanks to the blogspots and forums like these). And I appreciate downloading. Whenever I find a good album, I'll order it through Amazon or trade it with people I know who have the albums. And I can't do it everytime because it's expensive for me (I'm still a student).

My point is : downloading is not all that bad. Some people do have tough time to get the music they love. Although I recommend that once you have the chance, you should pay for it.

And don't bother about Malaysian scene. It suck balls.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
17.05.2010 - 02:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by The Turbanator on 17.05.2010 at 01:54

Marcel - I appreciate what you wrote.

I read this line about 'stop downloading and start supporting'.

I have an issue with downloading. You see, the place where I live at (Malaysia) has banned metal totally from the radios, stores and everything. No albums allowed to be sold, no shirts, no banners, nothing.

And in such cases I can understand downloading and I am actually for it.
One question though, are you allowed to import stuff you buy from abroad (either via people you know, bands, or mailorders)?

Quote:

And don't bother about Malaysian scene. It suck balls.

Maybe nowadays due to the banning of metal. But back in the early 90s to mid to late 90s it was strong.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.05.2010 - 02:28
The Turbanator

Yeah we're allowed to do that. That's how I got few of my albums and few football jerseys but they are really expensive. I had to fork out RM 300 just for one shirt. And that's like my 3 weeks allowance

Yeah you got a point about that banning thing. That's all it was.. until the mid 90's. Then the government decided to ban it. When these bands do gigs, they do it in a very quiet manner. So it's hard to notice if one's being held even in the same town I'm in. Like the other day Deep Purple came Malaysia. I didn't know until 2 days before the gig. And it was too late to get tickets (would have got one for my dad since he's a big fan).
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
17.02.2016 - 02:30
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Forgot how hilarious some of this was. good times. good times.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!

Hits total: 7439 | This month: 28