Metal Storm logo
Rise Against - Rock Cafe, Tallinn, Estonia, 28.10.2009

Event: Rise Against
Written by: Ivor
Published: 31.10.2009

Galleries:

Rise Against - Rock Cafe, Tallinn, Estonia, 28.10.2009 by Ivor (15)

On the evening of Wednesday, October 28th, I found myself in Rock Cafe waiting for a gig by this Chicago punk-rock band called Rise Against. How? Why? Those are the questions that I'm sort of asking myself in retrospective because I'm not normally into punk-rock. Well, it's been a busy time and I needed a gig to chill out. However, I have gone through a stage of punk-rocking a while back. To be honest, that stage was brief but Bad Religion sure was cool, as were some other bands. To this day I like to listen to the stuff once in a while and I definitely don't mind once in a while seeing something of the sorts live. So, the gig was coming and why not check the band out, right?

Arriving an hour and a half after opening I had already missed Estonian warm-up act OneWord*. Which, again in retrospective, I think is far more down my alley than Rise Against. So, due to unexpectedly being late, I was rather taken by surprise when Rise Against hit the stage. After initial punch, with strobes flashing and the band running around the stage making it near impossible to shoot photos, things calmed a bit and, standing somewhere in the back, I got around to assessing what I was witnessing.

And what I was seeing didn't impress me at all. The music was mostly passing me by. Vocals were somewhat drowned under other instruments and it was near impossible to understand what any of the songs were about. Given that punk-rock songs on the average aren't particularly heavily laden with variation, it was all blending together. And it reminded me why I didn't like most of the punk-rock even when I listened to it. It might have been the acoustics... It all made me feel detached and out of place.

What's worse, not to sound like Marcel around here, but I was kind of feeling old at this gig. The venue was full of teenagers, and most of them were really enjoying the gig, hopping and singing along. For the band, it must have been great. For the people into the band, it must have been excellent as well. However, as a clean sheet experience the page mostly remained blank. What made me smile during the gig, was when the singer requested people to form a circle pit, and simple mosh pit was formed instead. Heh, noobs... In the end, out of the whole set, only one song left a lasting impression. It was "Ready To Fall." It was different. It was different even from the regular version you can find on the album or video. That showed and it was memorable.

I consider punk-rock on the average a stage that quite some people go through while discovering rock music. For me it's an intermediate stage associated with a period somewhere in the high-school years. Either they go punk all the way and make a statement by becoming punks, or they pick up something else, like metal. I'm glad I got to see a Pink Floyd tribute show the next evening. However, I'm left with a feeling that I still want to see a really good punk-rock gig... some Bad Religion maybe...

Unverified set list (taken from here):
1. Collapse (Post-Amerika)
2. State of the Union
3. Re-Education (Through Labor)
4. Paper Wings
5. Long Forgotten Sons
6. The Good Left Undone
7. Chamber the Cartridge
8. Drones
9. The Dirt Whispered
10. Audience Of One
11. Blood to Bleed
12. Savior
13. Blood Red, White & Blue
14. Prayer of the Refugee
15. Swing Life Away
16. Give It All
17. Ready To Fall

Rise Against: http://www.riseagainst.com, MySpace
OneWord*: http://onewordband.com, MySpace

Written on 31.10.2009 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 23 users
09.11.2009 - 06:20
Crème fraiche

I used to listen to these guys heavily in high school. I can totally understand you associating punk rock with high school years. Alot of it feels like teenage rebelion, and it's hard to take that serious. I have friends that still believe in "Anarchy" and wear all of the patches and plaid pants and all of that shit, but work full time at Arby's lol.

I can enjoy a lot of punk, but Rise Against has lost a lot of their edge after "Siren Songs of The Counterculture" and have kind of turned into an angry teenage punk band.

As for Bad Religion, I saw them live briefly at Warped Tour (ugh don't ask lol), and they played a decent set!
09.11.2009 - 22:11
Ivor
Staff
Written by Crème fraiche on 09.11.2009 at 06:20

I can enjoy a lot of punk, but Rise Against has lost a lot of their edge after "Siren Songs of The Counterculture" and have kind of turned into an angry teenage punk band.

As for Bad Religion, I saw them live briefly at Warped Tour (ugh don't ask lol), and they played a decent set!

Thanks, man, for confirming that it wasn't just me but the band had a quite a big saying in leaving me indifferent. As for Bad Religion, I don't know whether they are good live, or if they ever were good live. Never saw them and they haven't been here recently, or I'd have been there. And I did really enjoy NOFX live when they were at Hellfest 2008.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
09.11.2009 - 22:32
Crème fraiche

NOFX are just fun as hell! Their new cd Coaster is totally worth checking out too.
02.12.2009 - 18:02
anarchist_36

Rise Against kinda suck I wouldnt even call them punk anymore their pretty fucking corporate

Hits total: 7081 | This month: 3