04. Alone
05. 9-29-045
    1 - I: My Greater Cause
    2 - II: Homecoming
    3 - III: House Of Cards
06. Child's Play Part III
07. High Tide Waves
08. Six Ribbons [Jon English cover] [bonus]

It's a wintry afternoon, the clouds start covering the horizon and melancholy is pouring from the darkening sky. I decide to listen to something soft, fragile and at the same time utterly emotional and, believe me, Green Carnation's new attempt, "The Acoustic Verses", is the ideal soundtrack to a serene and esoteric journey adorned with beauty and melancholy.

The album is what the title says, an acoustic monument of thoughts, emotions, dreams, wishes, sweet bitterness. This time Green Carnation take their sound another step forward offering something different, something elegant, soul-touching and from the heart. Acoustic compositions might sound "easy" to some in terms of structure, yet, these Norwegians know how to make an acoustic song sound complex, with a variety of sounds being present through its whole duration, without losing in emotion and atmosphere.

All the instruments are blending together in the most beautiful way and thus the outcome is the marriage of the most fragile side of all the instruments partaking in "The Acoustic Verses". The acoustic guitar chords are well-thought and tranquil, simplistic in a way, without forgetting though to offer at times some more affected ideas here and there, evoking that feeling of bittersweet melancholy that makes the atmosphere have that grey/scarlet color. Some slight psychedelic rock references in the guitar work are vivid here and there, especially on "High Tide Waves", a beautiful and obscure song, probably the most complex song of the album.

Apart from the really good guitar work another strong part of Green Carnation's sound on this attempt is definitely the use of the keyboards and some orchestral-driven parts that make their appearance at times. The keyboard melodies have a more atmosphere-keeping role, floating in the air in gentle ways, caressing the listener's soul tenderly, having a quit experimental sound and approach in some keyboard passages, whereas the orchestral-driven passages make the whole feeling more affected and varied, making the whole aesthetic more intense and emotional. The rhythm section has definitely an accompanying role, sounding a bit imposing at times, but don't expect something exaggerating from the rhythm section on an acoustic album, just well-executed calm and tempo-keeping work - some creative passages are obvious though. The vocals evoke a pleasant shade of grey with their melodic warm interpretation that gives voice to the deep lyrics in the most expressive way.

The album flows definitely as one, a beautifully melancholic dream from which you don't want to wake up, but if you want me to pick up some songs I shouldn't forget to mention the heart-rending and haunting "Maybe?", the emotional and utterly touching "Alone" with the beautiful violin appearance, the inspired lengthy opus "9-29-045", the instrumental "Childs Play Part III" with its traumatic bittersweet piano melodies that won't fail entering the deepest core of your soul, the doleful and fragile "The Burden Is Mine?Alone" etc.

"The Acoustic Verses" will appeal to those who adore soft and fragile music, but those who shouldn't miss it for sure must be the fans of Antimatter, the more acoustic side of Radiohead and latest Anathema (those who have seen Anathema on live acoustic shows will get what I mean) for Green Carnation this time walk in similar sound pathways as the bands mentioned above, through a personal sound prism of course (those who know of neofolk will notice a Sol Invictus reference too).

Written on 18.01.2006 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 205 users
25.07.2006 - 12:59
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
One of the best, among my favorites. I'd rate it a 9.5, but furthermore it is a great review. Good job!
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.07.2006 - 07:11
Metalguaska

A great review for a great album, i definitely liked this piece, and i think is a flawlessly made album, it really shows that acoustic metal pieces are really brilliant (if well made) and i personally would have give the album a 10...
----
Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea Hijueputa Gonorrea
02.09.2006 - 06:59
DreamWeaver

I agree with you, Green Carnation has done it again, and in a very original way.
----
27.10.2006 - 01:39
BloodTears
ANA-thema
this album is brilliant. It deserves all the recognition it can get. amasing songwritting and constuction of the songs.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.07.2007 - 19:44
Infurnace

Totally agee with the review. This is probably one of the best releases ever. I really like this album. Good review!
15.07.2007 - 20:57
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
This album is truely a master piece, and is by far my favorite album by them (Yes I like it better than Light of Day, Day of Darkness) and is my second favorite acustic album (just loses for 12:5 by Pain of Salvation=P)
----
16.08.2008 - 12:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i didn't really like this album very much when i tried to listen to it.. the guitars sound too cold and emotionless to me...
16.08.2008 - 20:45
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Valentin B on 16.08.2008 at 12:44

i didn't really like this album very much when i tried to listen to it.. the guitars sound too cold and emotionless to me...

You really think the guitars sound emotionless? Wow.

I don't at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.11.2008 - 03:18
lazarus

Me neither, I thought it was accurate to the title of the album exposed, sad almost in every second of it, even the name picked for the tracks give the idea of what you should expect
----
And sometimes I despair
At who I've become
I have to come to terms
With what I've done
04.03.2009 - 11:57
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
This album is simply great, I like this sort of experiments.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
27.06.2009 - 22:27
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
This is their best work since light of day....day of darkness.I'd give it 9.5 for sure:thumbup:

Hits total: 8686 | This month: 13