Metal Storm logo
Metal History

13.11.2009 - 16:14
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Hey guys, I'm making a research for my History class at college and my subject is: Metal and Society. I'm looking for books, documents, etc, that would help me in my work. If you know anything like that, please help me. Thanks!

(PS: I'm already aware of Global Metal)
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
13.11.2009 - 16:34
soadbyob
Account deleted
Metal: A Headbangers journey (movie) does a good job showing true metal society, try that
13.11.2009 - 19:41
IronAngel

You'll obviously want to cover the Norwegian events and BM publicity; there's a lot of articles and books on that. A quick Google should help you to a bunch of contemporary articles, I suspect.

I know a couple of documentaries and interviews from the early 90s in Finnish, but I suppose that won't help you?
13.11.2009 - 20:02
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by IronAngel on 13.11.2009 at 19:41

You'll obviously want to cover the Norwegian events and BM publicity; there's a lot of articles and books on that. A quick Google should help you to a bunch of contemporary articles, I suspect.

I know a couple of documentaries and interviews from the early 90s in Finnish, but I suppose that won't help you?

You suppose well ^^ But, yeah, I effectively intend to talk about the inevitable church burnings and all the mess around that crackpot Varg.
----
14.11.2009 - 01:01
MetallicA

I did a paper very similar to this for an english class my freshman year of college. here's my bibliography:

Sam Dunn. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. (viewed April 13 2006)

Robert Sandall. (2004, August 1). The Songs That Shook the World. Sunday Times. 49

Palace101. (2006 February 11) Favorite 80s Heavy Metal Band. http://forum.atlantametal.net/viewtopic.phpt=1256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 (accessed February 20 2006)

Trevor Baker. (2005, October 8). Trevor Baker returns to the world of backward. The Guardian. 23

Bite Me. (2006 April). Revolver Magazine. 82

Moynihan , Michael, and Deidrick Søderlind. (1998, 2003). Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the
Satanic Metal Underground.

Araminta Wordsworth. (2005, February 28). Exorcism seminar a hit with priests: Vatican v. Satanism.
NationalPost. A13

Jim Fusilli. (2006, February 1). Cookie Monster's of Death Metal Music. The Wallstreet Journal. D12

Jeffrey Arnett. (1993). Three profiles of heavy metal fans: A taste for sensation and a subculture of
alienation. Qualitative Sociology, 16(4), 423.443

Keliah. (2005 December 30) http://www.metalstorm.ee/index. (accessed April 20 2006)

and here's some more stuff you may find useful:

search for a feminist magazine called Bitch and the article is called Horning In. It's about metal from their veiwpoint...some of it's rubbish but not all.

Sound of the Beast The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal - book written by Ian Christe (this is a great book!)
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
14.11.2009 - 01:07
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
One thing you could also look at is the general perception of metal in movies, see how it has evolved over the past couple of decades. I personnally find there is an evolution from violence (the punk/metalhead of many horror flicks) to stupidity (Wayne's World, Bill and Ted, Airheads, of course continued today with films like Little Nicky, School of Rock or Tenacious D and the pick of destiny) to depression (see some modern horror movies and stuff like Bong Water).
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
19.11.2009 - 03:08
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by MetallicA on 14.11.2009 at 01:01

I did a paper very similar to this for an english class my freshman year of college. here's my bibliography:

Sam Dunn. Metal: A Headbanger's Journey. (viewed April 13 2006)

Robert Sandall. (2004, August 1). The Songs That Shook the World. Sunday Times. 49

Palace101. (2006 February 11) Favorite 80s Heavy Metal Band. http://forum.atlantametal.net/viewtopic.phpt=1256&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 (accessed February 20 2006)

Trevor Baker. (2005, October 8). Trevor Baker returns to the world of backward. The Guardian. 23

Bite Me. (2006 April). Revolver Magazine. 82

Moynihan , Michael, and Deidrick Søderlind. (1998, 2003). Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the
Satanic Metal Underground.

Araminta Wordsworth. (2005, February 28). Exorcism seminar a hit with priests: Vatican v. Satanism.
NationalPost. A13

Jim Fusilli. (2006, February 1). Cookie Monster's of Death Metal Music. The Wallstreet Journal. D12

Jeffrey Arnett. (1993). Three profiles of heavy metal fans: A taste for sensation and a subculture of
alienation. Qualitative Sociology, 16(4), 423.443

Keliah. (2005 December 30) http://www.metalstorm.ee/index. (accessed April 20 2006)

and here's some more stuff you may find useful:

search for a feminist magazine called Bitch and the article is called Horning In. It's about metal from their veiwpoint...some of it's rubbish but not all.

Sound of the Beast The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal - book written by Ian Christe (this is a great book!)

Wow that should be more than useful, thanks a lot! ^^ Unfortunately, it might be difficult to find those books in my shit hole of a hometown... But I'm impressed by the number of documents you found about the subject.
----
19.11.2009 - 04:56
MetallicA

Haha cool I'm glab I could help! Yeah some of this was found using search engines at my school....they should have them at yours. Some great ones are Jstor and Web of Knowledge. Happy writing
----

God's disciples want you to die!
In the blazing inferno
Slewed on Satan's pitchfork
Burning for eternity
Death
I see it coming your way
by my hand... or by your fate
with no remorse.
19.11.2009 - 23:25
Warlock84

If you can find it try The Guitarst Book of Heavy Metal. It outlines a brief history of metal, but goes in depth with bands like Black Sabbath, Pantera, AC/DC, Anthrax, Slipknot, Zakk Wylde, etc. It has interviews with each guitarist about their style, influences, and you can catch a glimpse of what metal is from their point of view. (Plus if you play, you can really learn a whole hell of a lot)
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
20.11.2009 - 01:15
ToMegaTherion

Written by Guest on 13.11.2009 at 16:34

Metal: A Headbangers journey (movie) does a good job showing true metal society, try that

Perfect choice,

They shoudl be plenty of book though it is hard to say how accurate they are without reading them. Two area that might help, look for interviews and biographies involving Tony Iommi and/or Ronnie James Dio they both seem to have a very good knowledge of metal history, considering they lived and took center stage in a large portion of it. Also any of the other band from the 1970s and early 80s might be of some assistance.

Hope that has helped.