03. Bend It Like Bender!
04. Supercrush!
05. Hyperdrive!
06. Resolve!
07. Ih-Ah!
08. The Way Home!
09. Numbered!
10. Awake!!

Devin Townsend is back in all his original, fruity and experimental bald headed glory. Addicted is Devin's second album of the year, and true to his word it is heavier than predecessor Ki. Devin is a man of music and is now also a clean man giving alcohol and other addictions the kick. Along with Ki, Addicted is the clearest and most stable music the man has ever put out, and now with this latest edition to the catalogue Devin is once again up to his tricks breaking down the walls of music.

Addicted is quite simply the sweetest and most addictive album Devin has ever released. Along with the aid of The Gathering's Anneke, the duo sing their way through a diverse array of bold songs that will leave you both bemused and giddy. "Universe In A Ball" is a super-heavyweight, bass bash perplexing slap in the face destined for any good night club, where "Bend It Like Bender" takes things to the next level in almost Euro-dance music fashion with an ultra catchy, bopping chorus complete with Anneke's smooth vocals. Ziltoid's sci-fi-ish "Hyperdrive" is revisited with Anneke taking main vocal duties, and the soothing "In-Ah" is the closest Devin is going to get to cheesy pop music while still tastefully pulling it all off.

This is the biggest feel-good and consistently complete album the man has ever put to disc. You won't find a weak track on this blaringly colourful album. Devin and Anneke both do a fantastic job through a heavy and quite electronic, bordering on spacey at times, album that flows effortlessly from song to song to the unfortunate end.

Catchy, addictive and very melodic, Addicted will have you hooked, craving for more. You won't find anything so infatuating as this through the whole year, only time will tell how long its spellbinding charm will last.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 10

Written on 15.11.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 48   Visited by: 487 users
15.11.2009 - 20:10
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Very addictive... some of the best tracks the man has ever recorded.

I'm still trying to get into "Ih-Ah!"

and "Bend It Like Bender!" - regarding which Devin states on his MySpace:

Quote:
Oh ok...here it is. 'Bend It Like Bender' (You! ...in the Nasum shirt! ...look away!!!)
I know...I know...it's a pretty bippy-boppy-Euro-type dance track, but you know? guilty as charged when it comes to loving that stuff. I remember hearing The Vengaboys 'We Like To Party' back when it came out and it nearly brought me to tears (I was cutting onions at the time...) something about EASY, FUN music that takes very little effort to enjoy...or detest as the case may well end up being .

So yeah, I wrote a song like that. ppppttthhhhhhhhhpppppppphhhhhhhh.....

I'm working on album three of the DTP quartet right now, Deconstruction. And it's such brained out, complicated nonsense, that while I was writing it (all 4 albums were written during the same period) I remember just finishing the track 'Traestorz' (Deconstruction) and my brain was reeling. Super complicated metal madness, and I was like, 'ENOUGH!!!' and threw my lube down in revulsion and laid into Bender with a 'phat ass beat' y'all.

Whats it about? Ah, indeed young knave, gather ye round and I shall despense the benevolent meaning of this cosmic conundrum upon thee:

ready..?

It's a play on the title 'Bend It Like Beckham' and the robot from Futurama named 'Bender', because he's into partying, and the records called 'Addicted'. Yup. Oh...and 'Bender' and 'Beckham' both start with the letter 'B'.

Anneke VanGeirbergen ladies and Germs...Anneke VanGeirbergen. Did I mention I love Abba as well? Well I do. AND we're still metal.

Again, all 4 records were written together...which was good for me, because when I would get all antsy with Ki, I would unload with Deconstruction, then get offended by my own pretension and rock some good vibes with Addicted, then when I would feel like it was ALL stupid, I'd write for Ghost, and make some dead country voices.

So yeah, enjoy. Or don't. I do.

Lastly, There's a time and a place for fat, shirtless men with head tattoos to bump into each other and yell, and a time and a place for women to move like the beautiful creatures they are.

...just sayin'

dev

Awesome review on an album that may give Riverside competition for best progressive metal album of the year.
15.11.2009 - 21:03
Derwood

I'm glad Devin realizes how easy it is to detest "Bend It Like Bender" because I got to that track and nearly wretched. It's a horrendous blight on an otherwise stellar album. "...pretty bippy-boppy-Euro-type dance..." is, in my never humble opinion, the worst type music ever made.

But the rest of the album slays.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
15.11.2009 - 22:07
Darkside Momo
Retired
At first listen, I found it very good, catchy ASO... but less original than most of what he's done before.
But I'll sure listen to it again to have a better opinion.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
15.11.2009 - 22:42
Rating: 9
arj

The album is very very good
16.11.2009 - 01:14
Rating: 10
Fat & Sassy!

I can't wait until I get this album... and then see him live in Jan. :O
16.11.2009 - 02:04
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Soooooo funny that all the song titles have exclamation marks. definitely checking this out fo sho.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
16.11.2009 - 06:17
Raiden
Down Under Staff
I heard samples of tracks on this album and they sounded great. Glad to hear the whole album follows the same line of goodness. Really looking forward to hearing this one!
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
16.11.2009 - 07:01
Rating: 8
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
This album is surely not for everyone, but I like it, I find it kinda short, but I like that, and it's very different from "Ki", but again I like it seems like Devin is having a great time doing this.

IMO Anneke's voice fits perfect in this album.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
16.11.2009 - 08:28
dEAthB3D

Universe in a ball slapped my head away!!!!!! great song!
bend it like bender is somewhat unique but i really can't get into it since it's really weird and annoying sometimes (or all the times lol)...
btw good review mr anderson..
----
the ultimate use of treason is the treacherous use of reason
16.11.2009 - 14:07
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Definitely listening to this, if not for anything else because I'm curious.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
16.11.2009 - 14:48
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Gonna check it out despite "Ki" being such a big letdown
----
loves 小巫
16.11.2009 - 18:17
HardSide

Written by Ag Fox on 16.11.2009 at 14:48

If you did not like KI you will not like this album, Devin is making a 3 album saga starting with KI, the first 2 are non-metal albums, the last one will be a "heavy" album as per Devin.
16.11.2009 - 18:26
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by HardSide on 16.11.2009 at 18:17

If you did not like KI you will not like this album, Devin is making a 3 album saga starting with KI, the first 2 are non-metal albums, the last one will be a "heavy" album as per Devin.

The fact that Ki and Addicted! are both "non-metal" doesn't mean that he won't like this. Ki was a letdown in my opinion too and from an objective point of view, it wasn't that good. Now we have this new album, Addicted! for sure better than Ki. Silver_foxy may not like this one either but your statement was kinda weak imo.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
16.11.2009 - 18:53
ExtremeX

No, the Devin Townsend Project is 4 albums: Ki, Addicted, Deconstruction (originally titled Deconstruction of a Cheeseburger), and Ghost. And yes, Devin said that Deconstruction is going to be the heaviest and most technical stuff he's ever put out.
16.11.2009 - 23:00
Fat & Sassy!

What? This album *IS* heavy as shit (except Ih-Ah!).

Just got done with my first listen, and I'd have to say for obviously being an intentionally more accessible Dev album, this blows Physicist out of the water.
17.11.2009 - 00:27
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Devin Townsend records from this decade are all somewhat hit or miss affairs, with some tracks being highly impressive and otheres ing filler (that includes SYL).

This album has some very pretty melodies and catchy songs, nevertheless, I find that whenever Anneke isn't singing, it gets kinda boring. Conclusion - Anneke needs to sing instead of him in his band
17.11.2009 - 00:43
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Devin's vibrato on "Awake!" is amazing...
17.11.2009 - 02:18
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Introspekrieg on 17.11.2009 at 00:43

Devin's vibrato on "Awake!" is amazing...

No argument, Devin is a great vocalist and this album might have some of his most impressive vocals. Nevertheless, I think Anneke really wipes the floor with poor ol' Dev here
17.11.2009 - 19:45
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Elio on 16.11.2009 at 18:26

The fact that Ki and Addicted! are both "non-metal" doesn't mean that he won't like this. Ki was a letdown in my opinion too and from an objective point of view, it wasn't that good. Now we have this new album, Addicted! for sure better than Ki. Silver_foxy may not like this one either but your statement was kinda weak imo.

It turns out that i really enjoyed it (=
----
loves 小巫
17.11.2009 - 20:52
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I didn't really like this album. Weird music. Too "happy" for me.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
18.11.2009 - 20:15
MetalManic

Letdown? Wow
19.11.2009 - 18:56
3dd

Really shitty album. This is some kind of pop experimental? WTF this is doing in Metal Storm at all?

...I wonder why people like it.
19.11.2009 - 20:47
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by 3dd on 19.11.2009 at 18:56

Really shitty album. This is some kind of pop experimental? WTF this is doing in Metal Storm at all?

The key word is experimental... something most progressive metal seems to have forgotten anymore.
Almost every other track on Addicted is heavier than Katatonia and Diablo Swing Orchestra combined... did you just listen to "Bend It Like Bender"?
19.11.2009 - 22:36
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Introspekrieg on 19.11.2009 at 20:47

The key word is experimental... something most progressive metal seems to have forgotten anymore.
Almost every other track on Addicted is heavier than Katatonia and Diablo Swing Orchestra combined... did you just listen to "Bend It Like Bender"?

Agreed. I think why some people find this album distasteful is that it has a very bright and happy aesthetic (With pop influences and whatnot)... For some reason, I suppose this would not validate it as "metal"... Which is utter bullshit.

Also, I am getting SO FUCKING TIRED of people claiming shit as not "real metal" or whatever. If you want to see a huge plethora of ignorance, check out some of these comments on this somewhat recent article.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=9633&page=&message_id=
19.11.2009 - 23:28
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare

I'd prefer to listen to this album than your boring crappy arguments anytime of the day.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
20.11.2009 - 00:12
VPeter

Having fun creating clone accounts to downrate an album you don't like? pathetic loser.
20.11.2009 - 18:50
3dd

Written by Introspekrieg on 19.11.2009 at 20:47

You can't compare Katatonia with that. Yes, I had, dind't like it, sorry. Diablo Swing Orchestra had something really different, and similar, but with good (and fun) taste of music.

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 19.11.2009 at 22:36

Agreed. I think why some people find this album distasteful is that it has a very bright and happy aesthetic (With pop influences and whatnot)... For some reason, I suppose this would not validate it as "metal"... Which is utter bullshit.

Also, I am getting SO FUCKING TIRED of people claiming shit as not "real metal" or whatever. If you want to see a huge plethora of ignorance, check out some of these comments on this somewhat recent article.

http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=9633&page=&message_id=

And that's the point, and the problem: "very bright and happy aesthetic With pop influences"

Written by Elio on 19.11.2009 at 23:28

I'd prefer to listen to this album than your boring crappy arguments anytime of the day.

Then don't read and leave.
20.11.2009 - 22:40
Fat & Sassy!

Written by 3dd on 20.11.2009 at 18:50

And that's the point, and the problem: "very bright and happy aesthetic With pop influences"

So, let me get this right. You are judging the album based off of *one* song that Introspekrieg mentioned? Also, any sort of metal with modern pop influences isn't metal? And since it doesn't qualify to you as "metal", it deserves a rating of "worst ever"?
21.11.2009 - 12:32
3dd

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 20.11.2009 at 22:40

Written by 3dd on 20.11.2009 at 18:50

So, let me get this right. You are judging the album based off of *one* song that Introspekrieg mentioned? Also, any sort of metal with modern pop influences isn't metal? And since it doesn't qualify to you as "metal", it deserves a rating of "worst ever"?

No man, it's about he whole album. But hey, everyone have different opinions, there's no point talking more about it, arguing why it sucks or not.
21.11.2009 - 15:43
Fat & Sassy!

Written by 3dd on 21.11.2009 at 12:32

No man, it's about he whole album. But hey, everyone have different opinions, there's no point talking more about it, arguing why it sucks or not.

I believe that's why these discussion boards are here, but alright...

Hits total: 19935 | This month: 16