07. Dawn Of A New Day
08. Egonomic
09. Minus
10. Dismiss The Cynics
11. Free Fall
12. Dark Signs
13. Metaphor
14. Black & White

There are always going to be debates about whether In Flames have sold out or not. People are always going to slate the newer material whilst praising the older. Personally, I enjoy all their discography, I see their change as neither good nor bad, but just as a simple evolution. In the late 90s and early 2000s In Flames were probably my favourite band. Today, although I still enjoy listening to them from time to time, they have somewhat lost some of their appeal. However, one album sticks out and never ceases to amaze me, that one is Reroute To Remain.

I know many people do not really like this album as they see it as the bands complete change from their earlier sound. I, however, believe the band peaked with this album. With Lunar Strain, Whoracle and Jester Race, the band produced aggressive fast paced music that blended heavy rhythms with majestic melodic harmonies. With Colony and Clayman, the band started to approach their music in a whole new way. Their songs took on more conventional structures and the melodies slowly eliminated some of their aggression. Whereas some see this as a sign of the band going more mainstream, I look at it as being the result of harmony within the band, since Colony, the band has kept the same members.

Reroute To Remain is packed with awesome and catchy melodies that allows the listener to sing along after just one listen. The songs are all pretty much strong and blend together perfectly to create an overall harmonized piece of work. Another strong point in the album is the presence of "Dawn Of A New Day" and "Metaphor". In the past, In Flames had flirted with folk elements but usually kept them limited to short instrumental songs. Here, these two songs offer decent folk sounds with vocals on top. "Dawn Of A New Day" is just sublime and gives me shivers every time I listen to it.

Overall, we have an album that divides the opinion. But like lots of great works, sometimes this is a sign of quality. And, in my opinion, Reroute To Remain is definitely that. Daniel Bergstrand's production is awesome and creates the perfect atmosphere. A true classic of modern times.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written by Haddonfield | 16.11.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
gojko88
Rating:
This is it. The infamous album. The album where In Flames definitely left the underground and joined the mainstream. The sound could be heard on the "Cloud Connected" single released prior to this album (which is strange because this is one of the least interesting tracks on the album) and caused quite a stir in the metal press. Some hailed the new sound, some hated it, but the fact (as seen from this time distance) is that the whole thing was exaggerated and the change isn't THAT drastic. It is just the next step in the speeding evolution of their music. Listen to any track from "Clayman" before these ones to see what I'm talking about.

Read more ››
published 21.01.2007 | Comments (23)

Comments

Comments: 14   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 140 users
16.11.2009 - 22:48
Rating: 9
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Guest on 16.11.2009 at 22:47

Nice review man

Thanks. Nice to see a good comment before the bad ones flood in.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
16.11.2009 - 22:52
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Guest on 16.11.2009 at 22:50

Written by Haddonfield on 16.11.2009 at 22:48

Written by Guest on 16.11.2009 at 22:47

Nice review man

Thanks. Nice to see a good comment before the bad ones flood in.

you are welcome the bad ones...

Yep, it seems a lot of people don't like the post Clayman In Flames round here.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
16.11.2009 - 23:04
Rating: 7
Andresopeth

Well, even i don't like this album i also don't hate it, i don't feel the same when i listen to it that what i feel listening to Whoracle, Jester Race or Clayman, but it has some songs which i enjoy.

But i would give a 10 to this review, nice way to describe the album going into In Flames history.
16.11.2009 - 23:15
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Andresopeth on 16.11.2009 at 23:04

But i would give a 10 to this review, nice way to describe the album going into In Flames history.

I thought that was the best way to approach it. Each album prior to Reroute to Remain is, imo, an original piece of material. The albums after Reroute to Remain are more or less the fruit of that album and are less distinctive in sound than the previous works.
----

17.11.2009 - 00:26
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Haddon kickin ass in reviews. I prefer the ''Show no Mercy'' althou. =X

Its a good album (the mood change in System is great) but I prefer Soundtrack to your escape.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
17.11.2009 - 00:31
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Uirapuru on 17.11.2009 at 00:26

Haddon kickin ass in reviews. I prefer the ''Show no Mercy'' althou. =X

Its a good album (the mood change in System is great) but I prefer Soundtrack to your escape.

Soundtrack to Your Escape is a very good album but I find, although it doesn't really have any weak songs, that they don't blend as well as on Reroute to Remain. I used to review movies for my own personal website before, I even had a partnership with Warner Bros., ah the good old days, free DVD's, I'm gonna start doing a few reviews for here, to get myself back on track with the writing, I'm a bit rusty at the moment.
----

17.11.2009 - 06:03
-N-

Songs in the album are very aggressive, and "Anders Fridén" vocals is really savage and amazing!!!!
this album is second my favourite In Flames album, after "The Jester Race".
17.11.2009 - 10:09
Rating: 8
Thor arise

Really good reveiw!!! I think this album rocks! In flames is my favorite band beacuse they always make something new and different with each album...even the new ablum is quite ok, from my perspective. Still A sense of purpouse is bad compared with this splendid ablum!!!
18.11.2009 - 07:34
Lachy
Account deleted
This is my favorite in flames album, i dont think they sold out they just wanted to try something new.i liked the new album a sense of purpose but the 2 before that were average. Still great review, every track on this album is killer
13.01.2010 - 20:58
shine

I agree, Rerout to Remain is the album I like the most of In Flames and Clayman.
13.01.2010 - 21:30
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Does anyone else think Metaphor sounds a lot like Moonshield? By "Metaphor" do they mean a metaphor for themselves?
13.01.2010 - 22:38
Deadsoulman

Hehe, that's a nice review, which sums up my opinion about this album quite well. While I always enjoyed RTR, with time I've come to realize that it is actually my favourite In Flames album, and the only one I regularly go back to.

Oh, it's funny you mention the two quiet songs as strong points when most people see them as the weakest parts of the album. Metaphor is one of my favourite In Flames songs.
14.01.2010 - 01:59
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
I honestly do think the soft songs are a strong point. Some people are against diversity, I believe that if that diversity is well done, what's the problem? Metaphor and Dawn of a New Day are beautiful pieces of work.

@ Introspekrieg: What's wrong with them using a previous piece of material and adjusting, many bands do so. And to top it the melodies between the two are vaguely similar.
----

14.01.2010 - 22:39
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Haddonfield on 14.01.2010 at 01:59

@ Introspekrieg: What's wrong with them using a previous piece of material and adjusting, many bands do so. And to top it the melodies between the two are vaguely similar.

There's nothing wrong with it I guess.. Dream Theater has a habit of doing it more than anyone. I remember hating this album when it first came out, but I went back and listened to it and I definitely see what you are saying in the review. Maybe a few years ago my expectations for that old In Flames sound were stronger than today... 7/10

Hits total: 5661 | This month: 12