01. Liberty Chants The Scriptures Of Satan
02. Vomit Upon The Scum Of Society
03. The Unworth
04. Desirable Calamity
05. Eternal
06. Antipathy For Otiose Flesh
07. Raping The Brides Of Christ
08. Revenge Ayn Sof

Canada, home of many utterly extreme Metal bands, including but not limited to Blasphemy Axis Of Advance, Revenge and Lust. No idea what sort of issues they have over there, but they're a pretty pissed off country it seems. In '08, Canada spew forth another hatred-fuelled Black metal band, the monstrous brainchild of Valax called Black Pestilence. First feat of arms: Vice.

So what's this Vice thing? Well, just in case you were wondering, it's not anything Britney Spears would enjoy. Well, perhaps during her hardcore punk cocaine-loving phase... but uhm, I'm not here to slag off Britney Spears, the poor old girl. Vice is raw, filthy and more infectious than H1N1. Vice is Black metal built on Punk and Noise, with just the right mix of relentless hatred and catchiness to remain interesting. Fortunately Black Pestilence does not step into the pitfall of senseless rage that often cripples genre-mates with less vision. A large part of this should be credited to the production, which fits perfectly. It is a little hallow and thin, but not annoyingly so, and it gives the album a very DIY and garage-y feel.

I very much doubt Black Pestilence will ever sell enough for a platinum album, but a gold album might be within reach. Perhaps Britney Spears could twitter sometime about this album. In any case, if you're looking for raw and grimy Black metal without frills, Black Pestilence is for you. Enjoyable 'no-nonsense no compromises' rage.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 15.11.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 52 users
17.11.2009 - 01:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
There are several problems with the infrastructure of this country that are often ignored or have been deemed as inappropriate dinner table discussion, leaving those who understand the need for progression to form insanely rage-filled black metal bands to vent their pent-up frustrations on the also-seemingly-pissed-off metal community.

That, or they just wanted to give back to their childhood idol Britney Spears. No wait, that's Children of Bodom...

Nice review. Very accurate description.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."

Hits total: 3852 | This month: 3