Metal Storm logo
In The Woods...

26.07.2006 - 01:24
Damnated
Churchburner
There's no topic of this awsome band from Norway, so I made one. Some bio: In the Woods... started out as a black metal band in the early 90s having some prog influences. They slowly left behind their black metal sounds, and focused on the prog part. Their best albums, IMO are the ones with the black metal sound, their demo, Isle of Men is just awsome.

If you didn't hear this band, go check them out, NOW.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.07.2006 - 00:13
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Have a lot of their stuff on my pc. I always thought it were two bands, because some songs sounded so different from each other. I'll put them on, now.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.07.2006 - 01:41
Daru Jericho

A lot of the members of this band were from Green Carnation. I only had Isle Of Man but it was a good album. I think I actually perferred it to a lot of GC stuff. Too bad this band aren't too well known.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

27.07.2006 - 12:35
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Nah, I think GC is much better. There is something in their clean vocals that I don't really like, or better said, that is inferior to GC's clean vocals.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
28.07.2006 - 02:31
Daru Jericho

Fair enough. I actually heard In The Woods...first. I was at a music fest looking at the CDs and said something like "I wonder if Green Carnation are as good as Opeth," because a lot of people compare the two. Then this guy told me to avoid Green Carnation and check out ITW... because he reckons they're better. Still, I suppose I'm a bit stupid making my decision after having just one ITW..album. I have far more GC, which probably sounds odd as to why I perfer ITW...
----

28.07.2006 - 12:07
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Yeah, that is odd.

I have to admit I only have about 40 downloaded songs, so it is quite a 'random' collection. But judging from what I've heard, the clean vocals of Kjetil slay those of ITW. Each to his own, tho.
----

28.07.2006 - 14:59
Xaphiris

I really don't think anybody can tell you what to listen to. And since Green Carnation and In The Woods... roam on different planes, I belive everybody should embrace both of them. If tomorrow becomes grimmer, maybe there won't be bands like them around. I love Opeth. They're my favorite but Green Carnation is just as good IMO. As for In The Woods..., they're a rare jewel in anyone's collection.
----
29.07.2006 - 03:41
Daru Jericho

One of my most visited metal CD shops around here were selling IOM for about £7, which is cheap for a metal CD. I didn't pick it up because I had no cash but I might when I do get enough. I don't know when that will be though, seeing as I have to pay for so many gigs and all.
----

01.08.2006 - 01:07
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Daru Jericho on 29.07.2006 at 03:41

One of my most visited metal CD shops around here were selling IOM for about £7, which is cheap for a metal CD. I didn't pick it up because I had no cash but I might when I do get enough. I don't know when that will be though, seeing as I have to pay for so many gigs and all.

Don't hesitate, get that album, it's more the awsome
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.08.2006 - 02:46
Daru Jericho

I might as well, you know. It got deleted of my comp and I remember enjoying it a lot. I just hope no one has bought it yet.
----

01.08.2006 - 12:21
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Probably not, mostly when I find a more 'underground' metal cd (so not slipknot, you know what I mean) in a normal pop-shop, I can wait for weeks/months, and most probably it is still there.
----

02.08.2006 - 20:37
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Have to come back on the vocals. Now listening to the song 'Child Of Universal Tongue' and in that song they are brilliant!
----

02.08.2006 - 21:48
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I enjoy In The Woods but I have some problems with the vocals, find them really annoying by times specially on "The Return To The Isle Of Man"... I bought months ago their live album after reading and hearing lots of praises, but it was quite dissapointing, I thin it's an extremely amateur release, in terms of performance.
02.08.2006 - 23:06
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 02.08.2006 at 21:48

I enjoy In The Woods but I have some problems with the vocals, find them really annoying by times specially on "The Return To The Isle Of Man"... I bought months ago their live album after reading and hearing lots of praises, but it was quite dissapointing, I thin it's an extremely amateur release, in terms of performance.

Yup, the vocals anoy me on the later releases, but sometimes they fit very well with the music. The BM vocals were awsome, though, so high pitched.
----

16.08.2006 - 19:16
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I like In The Woods only firts album when thay play BM, maybe some demo too, but I had hear only firts, no I mean I listen firts, I had hear something leither too, but I just delite all it freom PC left only firts and I think thets the real In The Woods, after it isnt In The Woods anymore
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.08.2006 - 19:42
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 16.08.2006 at 19:16

I like In The Woods only firts album when thay play BM, maybe some demo too, but I had hear only firts, no I mean I listen firts, I had hear something leither too, but I just delite all it freom PC left only firts and I think thets the real In The Woods, after it isnt In The Woods anymore

Yup, I say this aswel. They should have disbanded, to from another band. The prog albums are also very good, but just wont fit next to the olds. The best release by far is Isle Of Men, I listened to this band a lot these days, and this is my final opinion.
----

17.08.2006 - 16:40
Kurzag
Account deleted
A band that I enjoy very much. I have Heart of the Ages, which is a beautiful album. They are truly a underrated band, to bad they split up.
15.01.2007 - 08:49
drum fiend
Account deleted
never heard of this band i will defientely have to check them out they sound really awesome
17.01.2007 - 19:03
Himann
Orm KrigGud
I quite enjoyed their Black Metal stuff but was quite annoyed when they their work turned continuously progressive. Stopped buying after that.. Hope they will join up in a Black Metal band rather than a Progressive one As the first post said, the first bit was definitely the highlight of their career..
----
To be Draped by the Shadow of your Morbid Palace. Ohh, Hate Living...The only heat is warm blood

So Pure... So Cold
Transilvanian Hunger
09.01.2008 - 14:50
rageing atheist
Account deleted
HEart of the Ages is one of my favorite albums, I really like how well In The Woods... managed to blend black metal parts with the calm passages on their debut. Omnio's also very good, though I like HEart... more since it had more contrast than Omnio, Omnio however had better lyrics than HEart... . Haven't gotten Return to the Isle of Men and Strange in Stereo yet, though I definetly intend to get them.

Btw on Chronicles of Chaos there's a pretty good and insightful interview with Jan Svithjod, taken in 1999, if anyone's interested: http://www.chroniclesofchaos.com/articles/chats/1-222_in_the_woods.aspx

edit: I couldn't figure out how to make the link work so just copy/paste it to your adressbar.
10.03.2011 - 14:41
SaleFlamand

Written by Guest on 09.01.2008 at 14:50

HEart of the Ages is one of my favorite albums, I really like how well In The Woods... managed to blend black metal parts with the calm passages on their debut.

Second this.
I remember I blindly ordered this cd in the local cd-shop. Had to wait 3 months before I got it, but it was worth the waiting.
----
I'm a Jupiler man, drink it as much as I can.