Style: Atmospheric black metal, Pagan black metal
Release date: July 2009

01. Days That Passed
02. Distant Cries Of Cranes
03. Decadence
04. Ars Poetica
05. Everything Unsaid Before
06. Widow's Grief

One of the few subjects of music pride for my country, Drudkh, gladdened me with their new album Microcosmos. And once again they prove to be one of the greatest bands in the black metal world, which I am no expert of, but I just dig good music, especially when there are some catchy melodies involved, and they are quite abundant on this record. Some are quite naturally dark and sinister; some are rather uplifting ("Ars Poetica"); some straightforward and punishing; some intricate and melodic. Microcosmos has a big deal of riff changes and acoustic breaks. You don't get bored with this one.

Well, there is not a lot more to say about this album. Drudkh continue to do their thing. The distorted, melancholic, melodic, depressive, sometimes groovy guitar sound is still with us, and it just pleases the ear. As a bonus we get two cool-sounding solos at the beginning of "Everything Unsaid Before," and they couldn't fit more into the song. There is also a solo on "Distant Cry Of Cranes," but it's not as good. The unadulterated bass, which, as some may know, I am a huge fan of, makes this record complete. The bass is raw and alive; it adds to the character of the album. The overall sound is as usually crusty, cryptic and of course kvlt. I also personally find Microcosmos better recorded than its predecessor Estrangement. I would actually go as far as saying that this is Drudkh's best-recorded album.

I had to give this one quite a few spins before taking it for it really is, but for most fans of the band and the particular sound they employ, Microcosmos should be easy to digest. The optimum length of just over 40 minutes only makes it easier. So does the number of tracks: four real songs plus an intro and outro. Go ahead and buy it. Microcosmos is definitely worth your money.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written by K✞ulu | 17.11.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 130 users
18.11.2009 - 19:58
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Solid album, but Drudkh can do even better...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.11.2009 - 20:35
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Not among Drudkh best efforts. Its good as always, the only problem is not being ''Blood In Our Wells'' imo
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.11.2009 - 23:27
Rating: 7
Elio
Red Nightmare
I pretty much agree with Ellrohir, we have heard better stuff from this band, yet this album is still quite good and solid overall. Ars Poetica is a great song.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
30.05.2010 - 22:42
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
A fair review. This is probably my favourite since Autumn Aurora actually. As others have said, a solid album but not likely to become a classic like their first two.

Hits total: 4663 | This month: 5