03. Athanatoi Este
04. Tyrannical
05. You My Cross
06. Sanctimonius
07. Serve In Heaven
08. Shades Of Evil
09. Doctrine
10. Sanctus Diavolos

The year is 2004 A.C. in a small planet called earth; a minor a dot in the universe, a triviality. But it's also the kingdom of the social species called? humans. In this particular time one man expresses his psychological self with a tribute. A tribute to the evil powers? a tribute to darkness? a tribute to "Sanctus Diavolos." He manages to overcome the triviality of his physical world? he gives color to this world? black? he escapes?

The album's name is Sanctus Diavolos and it's one the most multidimensional albums up to date and the most satanic of their career. Sanctus means saint in Latin and Diavolos is another name for Devil in Greek. Weird combination. How is it possible for the Devil to be saint?

The whole thing begins with a powerful track from the first era of the band (Visions of a Blind Order). We have to mention also that in this track Gus G. participates as guest guitarist. As we go on we can find tracks with Greek lyrics (Athanatoi Este), Latin lyrics, atmospheric, instrumental, choral, thrashy (Serve in heaven), and orchestrated parts (Doctrine). This album has everything a blackster wants to hear and this is what I mean by multidimensional ("many ways to approach the evil").

If we have to pick the best track then we have a difficult task. All tracks are too good to choose but at this point I have to mention my favorite one: "Tyrannical." Well "Tyrannical" is the darkest, the most satanic, and the most atmospheric piece of sound I've ever heard. It makes you bang your head all the time.

This time Sakis chooses to make the production of the album alone. To be honest the production is not optimal. Who cares, this is just a minor flaw. The CD artwork created by Set<H'> and it's once again exceptional and unique.

Sanctus Diavolos is the 9th album of Rotting Christ and it's really interesting that they can still make masterpieces and evolve their sound with every release. Get it; it's a "must" for the fans of atmospheric/melodic black metal!

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by GODlike ? | 14.06.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
KwonVerge
Rating:
Along with the Norwegian scene in the late 80s/early 90s there was another scene that was trying to get out of the lairs of darkness, the Greek black metal scene. To some of you might sound funny, "the Greek black metal scene", but there were bands just like Rotting Christ, Necromantia and Varathron that had their very own style setting the flames of Hell alight in the South along with their black metal brothers in the North. The years were passing by and Rotting Christ after they formed a cult name in the underground black metal scene, they reach nowadays, being a well-known and respected band in the extreme sound, with "Sanctus Diavolos".

Read more ››
published 24.09.2004 | Comments (6)

Guest review by
Sulac
Rating:
N/A
In the beginning, the canvas is pure white, the color of an angel's wings.

Then the music starts, staining the purity with evil.

Swathes of dark grey are painted in thick, harsh strokes by guitars, creating a haze of engulfing smoke. The strokes are applied fast, but with cold precision, creating a swirling cloud on the canvas, a picture of calculated chaos - the meat of the unhallowed creation.

Read more ››
published 01.02.2013 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 2   Visited by: 53 users
21.11.2009 - 22:29
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Quote:

If we have to pick the best track then we have a difficult task. All tracks are too good to choose

To me the difficult to choose is because none of the tracks stand out so much. ''Athanati Este'' is pretty nice, also doctrine.

Good album.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
26.04.2014 - 15:46
Rating: 5
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Production 9? I don't think so..

Hits total: 5343 | This month: 14