05. Defamation
06. Almost Ready
07. Heads
08. Vegetable
09. Choice Cuts
10. Forms Of Illusions
11. When Your Face Doesn't Melt Snowflakes
12. Idemnity

Defect Designer is a young death metal band hailing from Novosibirsk (Siberia), who just released their first album, Wax. They play a very erratic, kind of progressive style of death metal with a lot of weird riffing and eccentric melodies. Most of the time their music is very heavy and has a dirty edge to it.

The thing with Wax is that it's probably pretty much love it or hate it. It could be a great work of art for some, while it just seems randomly-jumbled-together and unspectacular for others. Although I personally rather belong to the second group, I can't deny that the two guitarists and the drummer are pretty good. Even though a lot of it sounds very similar on first listen, the guitars do a lot of very different things throughout the album and the drumming is just tight as fuck. The vocals are pretty standard and greatly lack in variety. When they do vary though, usually in the form of hysterical shouting, they're kind of annoying.

When listening to the CD you never quite know where you are at the moment. Basically all songs are similar. Some parts are slower, some faster, some more melodic, others are more brutal, but in the end all parts are just somehow stuck together anyway. What is a slow sludgy riff right now could give way to melodic DM riffing and double bass drumming any second. It all sounds similar due to its disjointed and chaotic nature.

This is also the reason I didn't rate the album. It's definitely not easy-listening and will take a while to get into, or it's just not your thing. I'd enjoy it a lot more if it were more structured and the different parts would lead into each other in a smoother way. If all these descriptions sound like it's something you could dig you'll definitely have to give it a shot, you could end up immensely enjoying this! If it doesn't sound like it's for you, you should rather stay away though. In any case it will be very interesting to see how the band evolves.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: -
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 27.11.2009

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 64 users
28.11.2009 - 00:03
Darkside Momo
Retired
Bas, have you heard Gorguts' album Obscura? If yes, how would you compare both?
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
28.11.2009 - 00:26
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Sounds jazzy.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.11.2009 - 15:18
Rating: 7
Bas
Retired Staff
Written by Darkside Momo on 28.11.2009 at 00:03

Bas, have you heard Gorguts' album Obscura? If yes, how would you compare both?

I didn't know them before, checked out their myspace player (the song Obscura Instrumental) on their profile just now.

Judging by that one track Wax kind of goes in the same direction, but none of the elements on it are as "weird" as some in that Obscura song
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness

Hits total: 4101 | This month: 1