02. Swamphell
03. Principle Hero
04. Human Fates
05. They Will Return
06. Kill The Idealist
07. The Blind Leader
08. My Nation
09. Skin O' My Teeth [Megadeth cover]

Kalmah's second album, released in 2001, is appropriately named "They Will Return" because Kalmah did return, bringing with them more amazing melodic death metal. "They Will Return" is loaded with speed, awesome riffs, solos and of course, the band's unique reptilian vocals.

The intro song "Hollow Heart" reflects the band's swamp theme, with splashing, footprint sounds that fade into guitar riffs. The song launches quickly into a fast paced, melodic song with more melody from the keyboards and drums that flow with the song. The album's title song "They Will Return" starts off with a mini drum solo, and brings some more speed and flowing guitar melodies and solos.

"The Blind Leader" perhaps the heaviest sounding song on the album, gets credit from me for amazing guitar work, bringing blistering guitar solos and riffs, and if you're a fan of wicked fast keyboard solos, then listen to "My Nation." The final track, a cover of Megadeth's "Skin O' My Teeth" is done in Kalmah's own style and is definitely worth a listen if you're a Megadeth fan.

Kalmah are one of my favourite bands. They are awesome to listen to; with no shortage of creativity, each song has it's own unique riffs. There is something for everyone in each of their albums, blistering drums, guitars, keyboards and bass, demonic vocals, and melodies that can be exhilarating and relaxing. A must listen if you enjoy Children Of Bodom or Norther.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 9
Production: 9

Written by Savage Messiah | 27.07.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 20   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 161 users
27.07.2006 - 11:13
Vicsor
Account deleted
IMO their best piece of music, awesome album, full of metal & passion, very useful when in low mood to cheer up, and then eat the fkn wolrd again.
I love it

Here Antti & Pasi RULE
27.07.2006 - 12:35
Rating: 10
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
haha yeah
27.07.2006 - 15:07
Rating: 9
Bash'
:)
good review

yeah the album is one of the albums i can't live without, all Kalamah's stuff i can't live without..

it's from my top fav. bands

a best melodics .. i hope other bands learn from those what the word Melodeth means and how should it been done..!!!:thankyou:
----
I saw her standing by the crimson sea...
Isolated by the silent thoughts...
Her gazing was intense but so dead...

The teardrops corroded the soil.. She couldn't say a word to me...
28.07.2006 - 13:58
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
thankyou
29.11.2006 - 13:23
zarakkazak

the worst among their 4 albums
30.11.2006 - 09:00
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by zarakkazak on 29.11.2006 at 13:23

the worst among their 4 albums

Why do you say that?
30.11.2006 - 17:10
zarakkazak

I said that because the other three are much more beautiful...but even this one is not bad ;-)
06.12.2006 - 19:07
Sidragasum
Account deleted
I would agree with that. Well, I haven't heard the new one yet, but I've heard the other three. I think this is the weakest one I've heard. That said, it's still a brilliant album.
11.12.2006 - 10:01
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Written by Guest on 06.12.2006 at 19:07

I would agree with that. Well, I haven't heard the new one yet, but I've heard the other three. I think this is the weakest one I've heard. That said, it's still a brilliant album.

you should check out their new album... i thought it sounded REALLY different to their other ones...
12.12.2006 - 21:18
Rating: 8
Sunioj

Written by Savage Messiah on 11.12.2006 at 10:01

Written by Guest on 06.12.2006 at 19:07

you should check out their new album... i thought it sounded REALLY different to their other ones...

Yes, it really is, Ive always loved the low end growls but I wouldve never thought they would base most of their album off of it. Nevertheless the new stuff is pretty good. Groan of the Wind!

This album is great, though its the weakest link, its still an outstanding album, yes the megadeth cover was pretty brutal, long live kalmah! Hollowheart, Swamphell, They will return still kick my till this very day.
14.12.2006 - 02:08
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
Quote:

Yes, it really is, Ive always loved the low end growls but I wouldve never thought they would base most of their album off of it. Nevertheless the new stuff is pretty good. Groan of the Wind!

This album is great, though its the weakest link, its still an outstanding album, yes the megadeth cover was pretty brutal, long live kalmah! Hollowheart, Swamphell, They will return still kick my till this very day.

hehe hell yeah man
02.04.2007 - 20:37
Rating: 9
Danny Thomas

out of the first 3 this is the weakest, but again, amazing. i for some reason, cant get into the new album as much, i don't think its as dark and its missing alot of the keys that i liked in the other albums.
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
09.04.2008 - 17:17
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
one of the most boring album's i've ever heard. By far the worst from Kalmah, only two good songs (Principle Here and My Nation) are very few for such a glorified band.
Anyway, im going to listen to their other works, but i gotta say that this one was pretty disappointing.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
15.05.2008 - 16:48
Mull666

By far the best album and swamphell and blind leader are best songs ever. this isnt my opinion...its a bloody fact so dont bother arguing, only agree...kalmah rocks! anyone heard the new album? i love the mixed vocals, great fan homage
15.05.2008 - 17:58
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
I think this is their weakest album, although it's still great of course. Not a big fan of the cover song though.
----
18.08.2008 - 17:35
Necromutant

The album is rather good but not perfect. It includes many energetic songs but it's still not a masterpiece.
20.12.2008 - 17:40
Hayzte
Account deleted
My favorite Kalmah album and the Megadeth cover was pretty good.
10.08.2010 - 17:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Not a fan of kalmah... i only likre they will return
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
08.08.2011 - 00:40
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
It's quite amazing that a death metal song is one of the most haunting and beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. I am of course talking about "My Nation", that piano is just divine...
27.09.2016 - 20:38
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
IMO megateh cover was not success at all, don't fits to genre
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 10010 | This month: 13