07. Ярило
08. Лики Бессмертных Богов
09. Коло Нави
10. Корочун
11. Память
12. Купалец
13. Аркона
14. Небо Хмурое, Тучи Мрачные

Admittedly, I have been quite critical in the past of this genre called "folk metal". It was novel and fun at first, but after a while - like any other genre - it became watered down with a lot of worthless crap. It's a lot easier for me to put down crappy folk metal than any other genre. I'm a man who appreciates solid riffing above anything else, and when any potential riffing is completely drowned out in accordions or synthesizers (not mentioning a particular Finnish band that begins with a "K"), I get angry. No one likes a rabid reviewer when they're angry. However, every once in a while a band or album will come along to raise the bar for metal as a whole; using the folk sound to enhance the music rather than cover up any lack of song writing abilities with gimmicky child's play. With Goi, Rode, Goi!, Arkona have undoubtedly secured their place next to the more respectable folk acts out there these days such as Moonsorrow and Eluveitie.

So why do Arkona deserve respect above other folk "metal" acts? It's simple - they keep the "metal" in folk metal. Between the staple chants & interludes of various instruments (done tastefully may I add), there is plenty of aggressive riffing, blast-beats, and pissed-off guttural vocals. The impressive part about this album is how well it flows together, end to end, with next to no repetition. The whole thing almost works like a story in itself; you're not going to see the same scene twice.

Like the common problem within folk metal, Arkona appear to be a little too over-indulgent. Unlike most folk metal, the over-indulgent tendencies aren't the instruments themselves, but rather the sheer length of this piece. As I said, it's a seamless, flowing, varied work of art, each section being essential to the overall picture - not so bad, right? Well, in most cases, no, but Goi, Rode, Goi! Is about twice as long as your average album. Sitting through 80 minutes of anything is difficult, but especially so when it's an album that isn't easily broken into more digestible pieces. It could just be my A.D.D. talking, but it's hard not to get distracted after a while, which results in overlooking potential highlights. Long story short Goi, Rode, Goi! could have benefited from being broken down into 2 discs. Unless you're particularly enthusiastic about the genre, an entire play through will leave you with no energy to do anything but sit in your swivel chair and drool on yourself.

Altogether this is what the pinnacle of folk metal could sound like, but needs a little bit of consolidation to offer a more direct punch to be heralded as any kind of instant classic. Oh well, maybe next time.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 02.12.2009 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 41   Visited by: 428 users
02.12.2009 - 12:02
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Good review, dually noted on the korpiklaani reference and the length of the album. I must checks it out.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
02.12.2009 - 13:26
Baz Anderson

Eluveitie are one folk band I won't touch. It just goes to show folk metal is very person-specific.

The length makes this album unbearable. The new Equilibrium album was also this length (well, a little longer), but it was consistently good. This just seems long for the sake of cramming as much on as possible.
02.12.2009 - 13:31
BudDa

Written by Baz Anderson on 02.12.2009 at 13:26

This just seems long for the sake of cramming as much on as possible.

What do u mean by that..
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
02.12.2009 - 13:40
Baz Anderson

Written by BudDa on 02.12.2009 at 13:31

What do u mean by that..

It's long without the quality to back it up.
02.12.2009 - 14:16
Stigmatized
Written by Baz Anderson on 02.12.2009 at 13:26

Eluveitie are one folk band I won't touch. It just goes to show folk metal is very person-specific.

I've never thought of them as folk metal. It's basically In Flames with folk instruments. Arkona is more along the lines of actual folk metal IMO.
02.12.2009 - 14:27
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Eluveitie sucks imo and it is incredibly overrated...but this doesnt belong here

what i want to say about this review is, that i dont understand, why is everyone so bothered with "long albums"? i listen to music almost all time i sit before my computer at home and this makes sometimes not less then 10 hours pro day...so i really dont mind one album would be 1/10th of it...for me it is even sort of an advantage...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

02.12.2009 - 15:31
Elio
Red Nightmare
This review kinda intrigues me, I still haven't heard the album. The 80 mins could be an important question mark though, I don't know if it can be interesting this long. Oh, and latest Eluveitie was really bad.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
02.12.2009 - 16:11
Rating: 8
*!*

Quote:
It's long without the quality to back it up.

just what i was thinking ;P
02.12.2009 - 16:58
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
Quote:
i really dont mind one album would be 1/10th of it...for me it is even sort of an advantage...

I don't have anything against long albums in general, and I think that most people agree. But when an album just doesn't deliver over the course of 80 minutes I can see how that would be a huge turn off. Now that being said, I haven't listened to this so I wont make any assumptions about its quality, but if its 80 min of sub-par or even ok folk metal I could see not being interested enough to sit through the whole thing.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
02.12.2009 - 18:05
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
And above it all, from a personal point of view, I cant stand female-fronted metal. Nothing chauvinistic about it, it just sounds wrong. But yeah, sometimes a lot of variation can be bad when the album is so killer long - Im all for music which takes time to digest but then it should be because of its complexity or musicianship and songstructures - not simply because its so crap long because then it turns into elevator / background music.
02.12.2009 - 18:15
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Guest on 02.12.2009 at 18:05

And above it all, from a personal point of view, I cant stand female-fronted metal. Nothing chauvinistic about it

sorry, but this simply IS chauvinistic
----

02.12.2009 - 18:26
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 02.12.2009 at 18:15

Written by Guest on 02.12.2009 at 18:05

And above it all, from a personal point of view, I cant stand female-fronted metal. Nothing chauvinistic about it

sorry, but this simply IS chauvinistic

lol fair enough it prolly is, but its my preference....for what its worth the woman who sang on the first couple of Dark Moor albums was super good and better than all the guys who followed her so that should count for a LITTLE bit to redeem myself. But yeah, thats just how it is.
02.12.2009 - 19:04
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Maybe its just you are jealous Masha can growl better than you...
----

02.12.2009 - 20:08
Rating: 9
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
The rating is OK, but the comments about the length are irrelevent. I've been let down by many albums that were too short, and this one is long enough to make you fully appreciate what the band wanted you to feel. And, without Na Moey Zemle, the album would have been average in terms of length, but this track is the album's highlight. This is Arkona's best album to date and one of the best folk efforts I ever heard.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
02.12.2009 - 22:38
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think their best album is Od Sertsa K Nebu, but this is very good one too
----

02.12.2009 - 23:13
Ernis
狼獾
Quote:
I'm a man who appreciates solid riffing above anything else, and when any potential riffing is completely drowned out in accordions or synthesizers (not mentioning a particular Finnish band that begins with a "K"), I get angry.

Let's make a club....
I have never liked those "ultra-finnish(so finnish you can tell it's finnish in an instant)" folk metal acts who add so much "jenkka", "humppa" etc into the music it becomes painfully annoying...Finntroll, for instance, being one of the worst examples...the ridiculous Finnish accordion/fiddle style is not my cup of tea at all...the first association I have is overweight drunk Finns dancing some cheap barn-dance and singing something really silly so...no happy lil' boozer for me, thank you : )

Arkona, on the other hand is special....although Eastern-European folk (including Finnish) is also in Arkona's work, it's more closer to me in Estonia and I understand it better...Finnish is distinct from others and thus has some characteristics I find annoying which Russian, Estonian, Wõro, Karelian, Ukrainian etc don't have....

Eluveitie is grand too...a good example...their antique/celtic/greek style and Gaulish language lyrics are wonderful and very special....they put great effort into what they do plus the overall fiery (south European) style and the distinctive sound of the ancient language form a fine blend....

unlike "LET'S DRINK! (accordion rape) LET'S PUKE! (fiddle/accordion rape)...humppa humppa humppa..."
That's just my taste tho...

But I'm definitely going to check out Arkona's Гой, роде, гой...
02.12.2009 - 23:20
GT
Coffee!!
I don't really like this album. I can't put my finger on what annoys me, but something does and it's not the length. One moment I find myself thinking "this is actually good" and then five seconds later "this is awful/annoying/boring/pointless".
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
12.12.2009 - 21:27
Rating: 10
Nergal

How's that Goi, Rode, Goi has the worst rating among Arkona's albums???
Very strange, it's their best album...
14.01.2010 - 00:17
Winterthrone

This review is very good. I agree with almost everything stated in it except for the comment about the length of this awesome album. To me it passes quickly despite it 's over an hour long, just because the music is so diversified and awe-inspiring. This review made me check out that band and I was not disapointed at all!
14.01.2010 - 03:11
wes337

Good review, Arkona is a sick band
25.03.2010 - 19:08
Rating: 10
Torgo

Written by MétalNoir on 02.12.2009 at 20:08

I've been let down by many albums that were too short, and this one is long enough to make you fully appreciate what the band wanted you to feel.
I completely agree. Many times I will buy a new album and just when Im Really getting into it BAM! it ends! and find myself wanting more then realizing it's going to be another 2-3 years before this band will be releasing a new album With an album like this it gives you alot more to hold you over and I believe the quality is there to back it up

And, without Na Moey Zemle, the album would have been average in terms of length, but this track is the album's highlight.
Again I agree. and also the last track which has a 10 min run time is really only a 4.30 min song the rest is just nature sounds with a little instrumental jig at the end. So there's another 5 min off for you!

Anyways! I think it's great! just ordered one for myself!
26.03.2010 - 13:57
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
Written by Torgo on 25.03.2010 at 19:08

I've been let down by many albums that were too short, and this one is long enough to make you fully appreciate what the band wanted you to feel.
I completely agree. Many times I will buy a new album and just when Im Really getting into it BAM! it ends! and find myself wanting more then realizing it's going to be another 2-3 years before this band will be releasing a new album With an album like this it gives you alot more to hold you over and I believe the quality is there to back it up

And, without Na Moey Zemle, the album would have been average in terms of length, but this track is the album's highlight.
Again I agree. and also the last track which has a 10 min run time is really only a 4.30 min song the rest is just nature sounds with a little instrumental jig at the end. So there's another 5 min off for you!

Anyways! I think it's great! just ordered one for myself!

And guess what? Ensiferum won the MS folk award! Total bullshit... The awards are not won by worthy albums, they're won by popular bands. I personnally try to listen a bit to many listed albums before I vote. Anyway, Goi, Rode, Goi is in my top ten of folk metal for a long time.
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
30.11.2010 - 18:41
Bovinus

Complainting about "the length of an album" sounds like Emperor Joseph II about Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro", which contained "too many notes". In two words : total bullshit.
02.12.2010 - 07:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Bovinus on 30.11.2010 at 18:41

Complainting about "the length of an album" sounds like Emperor Joseph II about Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro", which contained "too many notes". In two words : total bullshit.

Not really. As listening to basically the same thing for too long is tiresome.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
02.12.2010 - 12:43
Bovinus

Written by Doc G. on 02.12.2010 at 07:17

Then the problem is how do you like the album, rather than its length. If folk metal is not your cup of tea, forcing yourself listening to folk metal for 75 minutes long is probably not the most reasonable thing to do. But again, there are "stop" buttons on a CD Player. And someone who enjoys folk metal would on the contrary be pretty happy to get such a long album for the price of a "normal" one. Only my 2 cents.

By the way, Doc Godin, may I ask how did you get that 8 for the songwriting part of the review ? Do you speak russian ? I studied it, and I still don't get the half of the text, even with the lyrics right under my nose. This is not even russian, this is ancient russian. I also got the english version of the booklet, which contains basically nothing. Not trying to be agressive here, just wondering.
02.12.2010 - 12:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck

Ever heard of the saying "less is more"? Most of the times that applies. Loads of albums when going over the 50 minute mark lose punch and become less effective.
And too many notes usually also is a weakness, sipmlicity is the key to great works of art
I love doom and old school death metal and old school thrash metal. And most of the great albums in those genres clock around 50 minutes. There are only couple of exceptions. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale which is over 100 minutes being one.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.12.2010 - 13:45
Bovinus

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2010 at 12:52

Ever heard of the saying "less is more"? Most of the times that applies. Loads of albums when going over the 50 minute mark lose punch and become less effective.
And too many notes usually also is a weakness, sipmlicity is the key to great works of art
I love doom and old school death metal and old school thrash metal. And most of the great albums in those genres clock around 50 minutes. There are only couple of exceptions. Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale which is over 100 minutes being one.

Heh, I hate death metal. From my point of view, any death metal album longer than 1 minute is already way too long
But I can understand that there are people out there who like this genre, and probably are able to enjoy a death metal album 75 minutes long.
02.12.2010 - 19:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Bovinus on 02.12.2010 at 12:43

By the way, Doc Godin, may I ask how did you get that 8 for the songwriting part of the review ? Do you speak russian ? I studied it, and I still don't get the half of the text, even with the lyrics right under my nose. This is not even russian, this is ancient russian. I also got the english version of the booklet, which contains basically nothing. Not trying to be agressive here, just wondering.

The songwriting doesn't have anything to do with the lyrics... at all. It's just about how the SONGS are build. The composition, etc...

My 2 cents here: Yes... You can judge an album by it's lenght, some bands don't have the skills to back it up and make you focus on the music.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
02.12.2010 - 19:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by X-Ray Rod on 02.12.2010 at 19:20

The songwriting doesn't have anything to do with the lyrics... at all. It's just about how the SONGS are build. The composition, etc...

My 2 cents here: Yes... You can judge an album by it's lenght, some bands don't have the skills to back it up and make you focus on the music.

Guy just wants to bitch because he's butthurt I didn't give a favourite album of his 10/10.
----
- George Carlin
02.12.2010 - 19:37
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

Written by Doc G. on 02.12.2010 at 07:17

Then the problem is how do you like the album, rather than its length. If folk metal is not your cup of tea, forcing yourself listening to folk metal for 75 minutes long is probably not the most reasonable thing to do. But again, there are "stop" buttons on a CD Player. And someone who enjoys folk metal would on the contrary be pretty happy to get such a long album for the price of a "normal" one. Only my 2 cents.

I enjoy folk metal very much. It doesn't take some profound understanding to "get" this genre so it's nothing like doom or black where I may be approaching it from the wrong angle. The complaint on length applies to an album of any genre. I've heard bands play a 35 minute album that was too long for it's own good. There was a lot of dead parts in this album that could have been cut out, making 80 minutes wholly unnecessary.

As for your second point. Think that over a few times, and if you still don't quite understand why it's a silly question, read Mr.Doctors response, as he seems to have a grasp on what criteria music should be judged on.
----
- George Carlin

Hits total: 10753 | This month: 12