08. New Night
09. Inheritance
10. Day And Then The Shade
11. Departer
12. Ashen [Swedish and special tour edition bonus]
13. Sold Heart [special tour edition bonus]
14. Day And Then The Shade [Frank Default remix] [special tour edition bonus]
15. Idle Blood [Linje 14] [special tour edition bonus]

There has been a lot of buzz about the new album, Night is the New Day, by Katatonia and I honestly have to say that I was looking forward to this release. My first exposure to the band was their previous studio release, 2006's The Great Cold Distance, which enticed me more than a fat kid in a candy store. So naturally I was excited to hear another album from a band who had captured my attention a few years ago.

This album comes across as a mediocre and almost passé. Now before you all start hurling insults at me and informing me that I "don't know anything about music," just calm down. Katatonia has had the same line up for a decade now, and the majority of the band has been together for even longer than that. This situation brings both a positive and negative aspect with it: your musicianship becomes tighter and more solid but your creative juices begin to run dry. In all honesty, I think this is what has happened here.

Night is the New Day features that familiar moody and Gothic feel that the band has been focusing on for a while. The hypnotic melodic atmospheres of this album are driven by some of the most beautiful guitar tones I've heard in a long time. The vocals are still haunting and convey a lost and hopeless feeling which blend great with the Massive Attack style of keyboards. The rhythm section is very solid with some very graceful and tasteful drumming throughout the album. Katatonia has proven to be an outfit that knows how to play as one solid unit.

On the downside, these songs just don't have the same impact that past material has had. The great hooks that subtlety wove in and out of darker passages are gone. Virtually none of the guitar riffs are memorable and the ones that are I feel like Opeth has already played them. Lyrically there is no depth; a bunch of depressive cliché lines about being sad coming across as a very smart and well crafted Emo album at times. The album is too depressive to be any fun but not haunting enough to be enjoyable.

If you are looking for a doomy-Gothic Metal album that is inspired by The Cure with a dash of Portishead, this is probably for you. Bets are that most of the Katatonia fans already have it or are planning on getting it, which is fine. This is a solid album with outstanding musicianship and production that would be a great asset for any fans collection. At the same time if you're not really big on the doom and gloom type music this probably isn't for you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 02.12.2009 by Dane hails from Asheville, NC which is Beer City, USA. When he is not drinking various craft and micro brews, Dane fronts the Stoner Doom Metal band, The Quick. He also has a massive collection of Hellboy comic books.

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 83   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 535 users
04.12.2009 - 20:29
Rating: 9
Jeeers
Not so good as previous album, but still a solid one. Yes, some songs are boring and some unoriginal, but rest are a little jewels in Katatonia musical history. At first I was dissapointed, but after some 10 listens I begin to like this one pretty much.
Renkses vocals are nice, but too monotone, he should think about changing intonation sometimes, maybe give faster pace to singing...
I liked his vocals in Discouraged Ones. And a little growling somwhere would be very welcome and fresh. C'mon, I know you can do it more agressive!!! Or else listening to their next album will put me to sleep, I'm afraid . I give it 8. (better 7,6)
05.12.2009 - 00:00
VPeter
I find it funny how the new Katatonia seems to get more hyped then the new Slayer.
05.12.2009 - 01:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Thank you for voicing my opinion on this. I couldn't explain for the life of me what I didn't enjoy about this album, and then I read it.

"...these songs just don't have the same impact that past material has had."
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2009 - 17:19
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite
Ok Ive read the review and opinions in there, and I couldnt disagree MORE. Its not strange that not everyone likes it, after all people have different taste and opinion. But the thing is, you have to judge every album/music in its OWN category. For example, if you listen to a power metal album you have to compare it in its own category, you cant say its bad if youre not into POWER metal music in general.

It is VERY obvious to me that when people picked up this album they are comparing it with Katatonias older stuff and with other doom metal music. What people dont realize is that this album isnt even doom metal, and its definetely not gothic. Hell, Im not even sure if it even really is metal. Like another guy said, Katatonia has just moved on and have a new sound, you must compare it in their "new" category now, and I dont think many "metalfans" are into this kind of music and are judging and comparing this album in the wrong music category.

Its like you are going out to buy candy and you get a really good cheese instead, its maybe the best cheese ever but you say "this is not good candy"
----
06.12.2009 - 01:50
Rating: 6
pdepmcp
Written by X-Ray Rod on 03.12.2009 at 17:20

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 02.12.2009 at 23:21

Oh btw, I do find it a slight imrpovement over theior previous one which totally bored me to tears and death.

I have a question... I actually liked the previous one quite a lot, while far from being one of the best it's still very enjoyable for me... So yeah, Do you think that I could like the new album? In what way it is an improvement?

I personally feel no relation between TGCD and NITND. While the previous was the most metal-oriented work in years (and to me their worst album since their funeral-doom era ended), if you exclude 3-4 songs this one is not a metal album.
I feel this last one closer to TD/LFDGD era with many more orchestrations.

This release is at most an enjoyable album for "relaxing" moments and nothing more. And it's a bit boring too...
06.12.2009 - 06:26
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite
Some other reviews:

* Powerplay (10/10) - "?an inspiring, near-flawless metal tour-de-force that threatens to leave most of their competitors way behind and choking on their melancholic dust?"
* Guitarist (5/5) - "?the standard never drops from truly masterful?"
* Rocksound (9/10) - "?the Swedes have quite possibly penned their very own masterpiece here?"
* Terrorizer (8/10) - "?Night is the New Day fills the vast space opened by 'Distance'?"
* Metal Hammer (8/10) - "?If this album is the result of Katatonia confronting their inner demons, let's hope they never cheer up?"
* Ultimate Guitar (9/10) - "Katatonia return with one of their most complete and gratifying efforts yet?"
* Scratch The Surface (8/10) - "?it's a unique and intense set of songs?"
* One Metal (4.5/5) - "?Katatonia's finest work to date - an album staggering in both its ambition and its accessibility, showcasing beauty and despair in equal measure?"
* Thrash Hits (5/6) - "?Katatonia stand proud as one of the fore runners of the doom laced rock movement. Night Is The New Day delivers a blindingly good orchestrated soundscape. It is a perfect example showing how Jonas Renkse and Co not only helped define the genre but they also have a massive influence in shaping its forward movement?"
* Kerrang (3/5) - "?keeps a creative light burning throughout?"
* Shake N Stir (4/5) - "?It's nothing short of remarkable?"
----
06.12.2009 - 09:57
Rating: 8
Slayer666
Written by VPeter on 05.12.2009 at 00:00

I find it funny how the new Katatonia seems to get more hyped then the new Slayer.

Maybe it's because this one is something different, while Slayer is just same old-same old?
06.12.2009 - 11:11
Damned-In-Black
Written by Azhidahak on 05.12.2009 at 17:19

Ok Ive read the review and opinions in there, and I couldnt disagree MORE. Its not strange that not everyone likes it, after all people have different taste and opinion. But the thing is, you have to judge every album/music in its OWN category. For example, if you listen to a power metal album you have to compare it in its own category, you cant say its bad if youre not into POWER metal music in general.

It is VERY obvious to me that when people picked up this album they are comparing it with Katatonias older stuff and with other doom metal music. What people dont realize is that this album isnt even doom metal, and its definetely not gothic. Hell, Im not even sure if it even really is metal. Like another guy said, Katatonia has just moved on and have a new sound, you must compare it in their "new" category now, and I dont think many "metalfans" are into this kind of music and are judging and comparing this album in the wrong music category.

Its like you are going out to buy candy and you get a really good cheese instead, its maybe the best cheese ever but you say "this is not good candy"

The fact that something may be 'VERY obvious to you' doesn't make it any more true, I suppose. You said that all people have different taste and opinion. Good observation, and your post should have ended there.

You said the reviewer and subsequent comments are comparing the album with early Katatonia. The reviewer professed to having got into Katatonia relatively recently with The Great Cold Distance - which is as close in style to Night Is The New Day as one can possibly get, and thus is THE logical comparison. He didn't make any mention of their early material and it could well be that he has only heard two albums. Even if he has heard all their material, it didn't make an obvious impact on the review. What appeared as being so-called "very obvious" to you, was in fact imaginary, or vastly exaggerated. Same goes for the other comments. Comparisons with post-2000 Katatonia are all valid and I don't think anyone was comparing with anything earlier than that. Sure, they have progressed since then but not so much that you could mistake them as being a different band.

It was a mostly positive review with a fair score for what he considered to be an average to good album. I don't see the controversy there. No baseless or unjustified comparions were made.
06.12.2009 - 14:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by pdepmcp on 06.12.2009 at 01:50

Oh btw, I do find it a slight imrpovement over theior previous one which totally bored me to tears and death.

I have a question... I actually liked the previous one quite a lot, while far from being one of the best it's still very enjoyable for me... So yeah, Do you think that I could like the new album? In what way it is an improvement?

(and to me their worst album since their funeral-doom era ended),

Since when did Katatonia play funeral doom
Their really early work was either black/doom (Dance Of December Souls) or death/doom (Brave Murder Day) but nothing funeral doom about it and after Brave Murder Day they changed gradually into what they are now.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.12.2009 - 16:15
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite
Written by Damned-In-Black on 06.12.2009 at 11:11

You said the reviewer and subsequent comments are comparing the album with early Katatonia. The reviewer professed to having got into Katatonia relatively recently with The Great Cold Distance - which is as close in style to Night Is The New Day as one can possibly get, and thus is THE logical comparison.

Hmmm, can you point to me exactly where I said that "the reviewer is comparing the album with early Katatonia"

I clearly said PEOPLE are doing this comparison and wasnt pointing at this reviewer in particular. In fact, I was mostly posting here because "some people" told me there were many comments here not so much because of the review and reviewer in particular.

As for the review in particular though, I respect his opinion, but Ive always had the belief (as Ive been reviewing a lot before myself also and written reviews for magazines) that you should never review a new album before youve listened to most of the bands earlier work (80-90% and not 1 out of 7 older albums) and done a lot of research and homework. So as soon as I saw he admitting he hasnt heard much of Katatonia before and he hasnt done his homework I didnt really put much more energy into the review itself (with all due respect)

This is something me and Marcel always used to discuss before
----
06.12.2009 - 23:14
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.12.2009 at 14:51

Their really early work was either black/doom (Dance Of December Souls) or death/doom (Brave Murder Day) but nothing funeral doom about it and after Brave Murder Day they changed gradually into what they are now.

So, tell me something, Маrcel. Since you are already on the subject (their early work), I'm curious about something. What do you think about "Sounds of Decay"? It's a somewhat... odd release, I think.
07.12.2009 - 00:53
Damned-In-Black
Written by Azhidahak on 06.12.2009 at 16:15

Written by Damned-In-Black on 06.12.2009 at 11:11

You said the reviewer and subsequent comments are comparing the album with early Katatonia. The reviewer professed to having got into Katatonia relatively recently with The Great Cold Distance - which is as close in style to Night Is The New Day as one can possibly get, and thus is THE logical comparison.

Hmmm, can you point to me exactly where I said that "the reviewer is comparing the album with early Katatonia"

I clearly said PEOPLE are doing this comparison and wasnt pointing at this reviewer in particular. In fact, I was mostly posting here because "some people" told me there were many comments here not so much because of the review and reviewer in particular.

As for the review in particular though, I respect his opinion, but Ive always had the belief (as Ive been reviewing a lot before myself also and written reviews for magazines) that you should never review a new album before youve listened to most of the bands earlier work (80-90% and not 1 out of 7 older albums) and done a lot of research and homework. So as soon as I saw he admitting he hasnt heard much of Katatonia before and he hasnt done his homework I didnt really put much more energy into the review itself (with all due respect)

This is something me and Marcel always used to discuss before

"Ok Ive read the review and opinions in there, and I couldnt disagree MORE". This indicated to me that the remainder of the sentence and paragraph were inclusive of both the review and the comments. And thus when you later said 'people' - it was natural to assume you were also referring to the reviewer as the point was a continuation of your previous one.

Also, it was an assumption on your part that the reviewer hasn't heard anything of earlier Katatonia (I did have this thought too, but thought little of it and now think it's incorrect). Having just read the review again I'm inclined to think now that he has done. This: "that familiar moody and Gothic feel that the band has been focusing on for a while." - among other comments would indicate he's familiar with more than just the one previous release.

Anyway, I still don't see where people are comparing the sound of Night Is The New Day to early Katatonia, either. These comments don't exist. A number of people referred to The Great Cold Distance, which is recent and valid. A couple mentioned Discouraged Ones, but not as a 'comparison'. No, I don't really get where you were coming from with your comments.
07.12.2009 - 07:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Slayer666 on 06.12.2009 at 23:14

So, tell me something, Маrcel. Since you are already on the subject (their early work), I'm curious about something. What do you think about "Sounds of Decay"? It's a somewhat... odd release, I think.

Yes, imo it is an odd release as well. Clearly a transitional e.p. between Brave Murder Day and Discouraged Ones
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.12.2009 - 09:29
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I agree with the review. Night is the New Day serves as great background music, but I'd be bored to death if I focused all of my attention on this album. Still fairly decent overall I'd say
07.12.2009 - 16:37
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.12.2009 at 07:49

Yes, imo it is an odd release as well. Clearly a transitional e.p. between Brave Murder Day and Discouraged Ones

yeah... It really feels like they put the music from DO and the vocals and overall feeling of BMD. I still don't know if I really like it or don't
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.12.2009 - 20:45
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
@Damned-In-Black and Azhidahak

Let me just clear up a few things real quick for you:

It is true that I first heard Katataonia when Great Cold Distance came out. After I heard that album and really enjoyed it I bought all their other material, including live material and the DVD. I own their whole discography.
----
(space for rent)
07.12.2009 - 20:53
Slayer666
Written by X-Ray Rod on 07.12.2009 at 16:37

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 07.12.2009 at 07:49

yeah... It really feels like they put the music from DO and the vocals and overall feeling of BMD. I still don't know if I really like it or don't

Well, I didn't after one listen or two. In fact, I was certian it was their crappiest ever. But it grew on me eventually. In fact, the song "Inside The Fall" is one of their best, alongside "Without God", "Palace of Frost", "Velvet Thorns", "Murder".....
07.12.2009 - 21:44
pdepmcp
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.12.2009 at 14:51

Ok, call it however you like, I'm probably wrong. I ment the first 2 releases. Brave murder day is indeed different and it's a great album.
Gradually? After Brave Murder Day they turned to gothic rock for 3 records with no "passage" (and almost no metal in them)...
08.12.2009 - 02:58
Azhidahak
Doom Metal Eliti
elite
Written by Dane Train on 07.12.2009 at 20:45

@Damned-In-Black and Azhidahak

Let me just clear up a few things real quick for you:

It is true that I first heard Katataonia when Great Cold Distance came out. After I heard that album and really enjoyed it I bought all their other material, including live material and the DVD. I own their whole discography.

Ahh ok thanks for clearing that up its a bit misleading otherwise when reading the review one can get the impression you are really new to this stuff/music. Its a good review however, in the end not everyone can agree.
----
08.12.2009 - 05:24
Flashok
Trust me, when you are in the right mood you will come to like it.. not overwhelming, just comforting melodies for the lost & broken
08.12.2009 - 08:08
7 is far too low. This album is a grower. I thought it was mediocre at first, now I love it. These are always the best ones. 9/10 from me at least.
----
you should all check out a band called synthetic breed.
09.12.2009 - 14:05
It is indeed a grower... a beatiful and mature album, dark and introspective... I wasn't expecting much (especially after the tedious TGCD), but this has put a smile on my face...
09.12.2009 - 20:22
thisempty
Well, this album is a 9 in 10 for me.
I'm a fan of Katatonia since Brave Murder Day, and i loved every single album from them. When Viva Emptiness came out things changed a little. I liked the album very very much, but it wasn't a 9 in 10 as all their previous albuns starting in BMD. It was an 8 in 10. Then came The Great Cold Distance, and i just couldn't love it as all the others. And i was amazed as to how everyone rated it as the greatest katatonia album, i just couldn't believe. Donn't get me wrong, its still a 7, 7.5 in 10 album for me, but for katatonia thats pretty low. Where were the Anders leads? Those beautiful melodies from his guitar that we can find in every other album? They were almost completely gone in The Great Cold Distance.
And then came Night Is The New Day. My expectations were low, because i knew they weren't going to make an album like the albuns before TGCD. But i just love the new album, is magnificent.
So why so many people don't like it? I have a theory. I'm not pretentious, so don't get me wrong. But i think that many people dont like this album because this is not metal...
Well, it is metal cause it has very strong distorted guitars, sure. But the majority of those songs could do without the distorted guitars. In fact, some of them would probably sound better, lol.
I love the album because even though i love metal with a passion, i like other kinds of music. To be honest i cant stand happy music, and everything i listen tends to be sad, depressive, being metal or non metal. So, many songs on this album are disliked by metal fans because they have nothing to do with metal. I cant think of many bands that we can't put a label on it. But in Katas case, can we? What? Gothic? na... Doom? na... They just can't be labeled nowadays. Because they don't even sound like metal if you take out the distortion in the guitars.
With this album katatonia passed the boundaries of metal. This is a beautiful work of music, whatever gender it is.
For the first time a katatonia record achieved the greatness status without the thing i most loved about kata in the past. The beautiful melodic leads that Anders did in LFDGD, TD, DO, etc.
I love this album much more than i loved TGCD, because in TGCD we still had some few examples of the melodic leads, but they were few and not that great, and i just couldn't stop missing them. But in this album i think they are completely gone (except for the swedish bonus track, it has a great melodic lead in the chorus), and i don't miss them, because the songs are beautiful, even though they lost the katatonia trademark. But they created a new trademark. i Call it beautiful music with distorted poweful guitars. Not metal
10.12.2009 - 19:32
3dd
I've been with Katatonia since 2002, and Night Is The New Day is a really solid album, with three good songs (Onward Into Battle, Inheritance and Departer fist 2 minutes IMO) it was almost perfect at first listen, but It got tired and old pretty fast, and it started to become boring. But what's the problem?

In my point of view the main problem is the annoying guitar breakdowns - totally out of place sometimes! it's good in death, nu-metal, etc But Anders/Fredrik exaggerated (are they out of ideas?). Where's the old great riffs? (Dispossession, I Break, Deadhouse, and so many many others!)

Jonas has done a perfect work, his voice now is unmatched. But when the guitar breakdowns riffs comes....I just turn down the volume.
12.12.2009 - 10:53
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Ok Ive listened to this album time and time again, and my oppinion changed a little. its not as bad as I thought. this is a good album but not a masterpiece or even an excelent album.
12.12.2009 - 21:28
Slayer666
Hmm.... The more I listen to it, the less I like it.... It just looses a good chunk of it's gloom after awhile. Still, a whole lot better than "Viva Emptiness" (whatever possesed Katatonia to write that crap is beyond me) or "The Great Cold Distance".
12.12.2009 - 21:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Slayer666 on 12.12.2009 at 21:28

Hmm.... The more I listen to it, the less I like it.... It just looses a good chunk of it's gloom after awhile. Still, a whole lot better than "Viva Emptiness" (whatever possesed Katatonia to write that crap is beyond me) or "The Great Cold Distance".

I consider Viva emptiness the best after Brave Murder Day by far. A lot of variety and some good catchiness.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2009 - 21:36
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2009 at 21:30

Written by Slayer666 on 12.12.2009 at 21:28

I consider Viva emptiness the best after Brave Murder Day by far. A lot of variety and some good catchiness.

There are a few songs on which I could agree with you, but it's mostly just far too heavy, and quite shallow. For me, at least.
And I don't like Renkse using "fuck(-er,-ing...) in the lyrics. Sounds like he's trying to be all badass, gangsta and shit, but Katatonia isn't that kind of a band.
12.12.2009 - 21:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Slayer666 on 12.12.2009 at 21:36

There are a few songs on which I could agree with you, but it's mostly just far too heavy, and quite shallow. For me, at least.
And I don't like Renkse using "fuck(-er,-ing...) in the lyrics. Sounds like he's trying to be all badass, gangsta and shit, but Katatonia isn't that kind of a band.

imo the fuck he uses fit the lyrics perfectly well. Shallow? I find Discouraged Ones, and the others after Brave Murder Day a lot more shallow. As for it being too heavy... I agree it is heavy but it could have been heavier and then it would be even better.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.12.2009 - 21:47
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 12.12.2009 at 21:42

Written by Slayer666 on 12.12.2009 at 21:36

imo the fuck he uses fit the lyrics perfectly well. Shallow? I find Discouraged Ones, and the others after Brave Murder Day a lot more shallow. As for it being too heavy... I agree it is heavy but it could have been heavier and then it would be even better.

Really? I am shocked.... I don't know, but very, very few songs manage to create such sadness as "Saw You Drown", for example.
Nah, I don't like Katatonia being heavy, I have soooo many other, better bands when I want some but-kicking heaviness.

Hits total: 16464 | This month: 34