Metal Storm logo
Keep Of Kalessin - Competing To Represent Norway In Eurovision Song Contest

Norwegian black metal band Keep Of Kalessin are among the artists competing to represent Norway in next year's Eurovision Song Contest.

Last Tuesday (December 1), Keep of Kalessin guitarist and songwriter Obsidian C (real name: Arnt Grønbech) told the Norwegian TV show "Lydverket" that he's looking forward to performing the song "The Dragon Tower" alongside Norwegian pop artists and mainstream songwriters.

"I read an interview with Per Sundnes (host of the Norwegian Eurovision finals) where he said they wanted darker and harder songs for the Norwegian Eurovision finals," he said. "At the same time, we had made a song with a catchy chorus, so I just sent it to them."

On being called sellout:

Obsidian: "I think we are gonna get some reactions from the black metal scene, and lose some credibility. Some people, at least, will call us sellouts, but people saying those things are usually people who have an underground band themselves but make a living from selling hot dogs at a gas station. I think it's less of a sellout to play in the Eurovision than to sell hot dogs."

Finnish rock band Lordi won the Eurovision Song Contest in 2006 with the song "Hard Rock Hallelujah". Obsidian C doesn't believe Keep of Kalessin will achieve the same type of success in the competition, but he's looking forward to getting more mainstream attention for the band.

"The song might be a little too extreme for us to win, but hard rock has performed well in the Eurovision earlier, so we'll just have to wait and see," he said. "The song will at least give us a little more attention with a broad audience back here in Norway."

Leif Åge Reme, executive producer of the Norwegian Eurovision Song Contest finals, says that the TV show did not ask Keep of Kalessin to take part in the competiton for publicity. "Eurovision is a songwriting contest that reflects the type of songs that are being written around the country, even if that means it is not pop. We are seeking a broad selection of songwriters, and not the publicity."

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Keep Of Kalessin
Posted: 04.12.2009 by Account deleted

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 38   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 178 users
04.12.2009 - 18:44
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
It would be pretty awesome if they'd actually represent Norway at eurovision song contest. I don't think it's very likely but hey, at least they're definitely better than Lordi or Teräsbetoni (blergh)

And I like hot dogs, lol
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
04.12.2009 - 19:00
Black_Handed
A village idiot
Well, no...selling hot dogs (and hot dogs in general) is metal, unless its a metaphor for selling a specific part of male body, then it is not.
----

Cryptic Bleak Smurf of Ur
04.12.2009 - 19:06
Ragana
Rawrcat
Norway wouldn't want to host Eurovision for two years anyway, so they can easily afford something totally insane.

Quote:
"I think it's less of a sellout to play in the Eurovision than to sell hot dogs."

That's rubbish, those are two different things and I don't even sell hotdogs, lol.
04.12.2009 - 19:11
Sunioj
It's not like this band hasn't "sold-out" before. Not that it really matters. Hell, if I had a chance to take a piss on the Eurovision, I'd probably do the same thing.
04.12.2009 - 19:14
silenius
Well they suck and their music is very popish nowadays so i think this fits them perfectly:P
04.12.2009 - 19:35
iMorphball
Written by silenius on 04.12.2009 at 19:14

Well they suck and their music is very popish nowadays so i think this fits them perfectly:P

Keep of Kalessin is poppish? i would never have come to THAT conclusion.ß
04.12.2009 - 19:38
Carrion Misery

lol you're the one with Opeth as the first band in your favorites. Opeth's latest music is more pop than Keep's; so why would that be an issue on whether or not they're good? Keep's latest music flows better than before and is more catchy than it used to be, that doesn't make it pop imo. Still fast as hell with kick ass riffs. They're a fresh, original sound that I like a lot.

I hope Keep gains more fans and opportunities through this show.
----
? Carrion Misery
www.mournspire.com | Two-Man Death Doom Project
Full album streaming
04.12.2009 - 19:42
Valaskjalf
Account deleted

Yeah i dont understand how you get to that conclusion...just because you dont like it doesnt make it pop. I agree their last album sucked monkey balls because of terrible vocals and unimaginative songwriting but I wont call it pop just for the sake of it not being a good album.

Bit shocked by this whole Eurovision thing.....dont know what the hell they're thinking. Unless they wanna do it to piss people off and not ACTUALLY to win it and be known as "pop" from here on.
04.12.2009 - 19:44
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Hm, Black metal from Norway and prog from Sweden? whats next Statovarius represents Finland?
04.12.2009 - 19:53
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 19:44

Hm, Black metal from Norway and prog from Sweden? whats next Statovarius represents Finland?

Nope. Sonata Arctica.

Anyway, what about Sweden?
04.12.2009 - 20:00
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Written by Ragana on 04.12.2009 at 19:53

Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 19:44

Nope. Sonata Arctica.

Anyway, what about Sweden?

Pain of Salvation is going to enter the contest with a song with the same name as thier next album.
04.12.2009 - 20:43
DoomGuard
Even though I'm not from Norway, Lordi would be funner to see on stage again
04.12.2009 - 21:20
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
I love the way that all trve metalheads go saying how band is a "sell out" or "pop" if it tries to promote itself in any 'unmetal' way. Who fucking cares, it's a way to promote a band, and metal. Certanly they will get more attention this way, so it's a brilliat move for them ... oh and I saw them live few months ago, they fucking rock
Btw there were talks that Stratovarius will represent Belarus since it matters from which country the writer of the song is ...
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
04.12.2009 - 22:11
Zhao
The Arkaholic
Written by RhaegarTargaryen on 04.12.2009 at 21:20

Btw there were talks that Stratovarius will represent Belarus since it matters from which country the writer of the song is ...

This is getting more and more bizzare, just heard from a friend of mine who is from Turkey that they got a metal band in thier contest too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBL5DcJbR_A

Imagine a eurovision with only metal bands
04.12.2009 - 23:56
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Carrion Misery on 04.12.2009 at 19:38

lol you're the one with Opeth as the first band in your favorites. Opeth's latest music is more pop than Keep's; so why would that be an issue on whether or not they're good? Keep's latest music flows better than before and is more catchy than it used to be, that doesn't make it pop imo. Still fast as hell with kick ass riffs. They're a fresh, original sound that I like a lot.

I hope Keep gains more fans and opportunities through this show.

A better comparison would be the fact he has Behemoth on his favourites list, Keep Of Kalessin and Behemoth are about neck and neck for accessible black metal.

Secondly, call it country for all I care, Keep Of Kalessin is fucking awesome. I hope the best for them in this contest...At least Obsidian is realistic by the sounds of it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
05.12.2009 - 01:32
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
What a bunch of fucking posers. *puts ketchup on a hotdog*
----
Christless
05.12.2009 - 01:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It's only a matter of time before the Eurovision competition is ransacked and burned to the ground with the judge being crucified by legions of overzealous -- I mean passionate -- black metal fans who felt their favorite band was cheated as a result of society bowing to Christianity or something. I dunno...I'm not psychic. I mean I was going to become a clairvoyant, but I couldn't see a future in it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.12.2009 - 01:34
silenius
But yea it would be great if they reached the finals, always fun to see metal bands prevail in commercial things, and i just said that shit above due to my distinct hatred towards their 2 latest albums^^ love their first:P
05.12.2009 - 03:03
Promonex
Cathemeral
Elite
A black metal band representing Norway? That's the most sensible thing I've heard about that contest for quite a while. At least a lot more sensible than swing artists representing Germany with Dita von Teese showing off.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
05.12.2009 - 03:25
Mother_North
I absolutly loved this news ahahah We need more metal on the Eurovision, next step will be My Dying Bride representing England and King Diamond representing Denmark Moshpit and stage diving live from Eurovision
----
"i still can't imagine any of them dead. They live on; they are fixed on that far-off region called childhood, were nothing ever dies, not even oneself."
05.12.2009 - 12:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I think i would pay attention to this year again .D
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.12.2009 - 12:46
RhaegarTargaryen
Telcontar
Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 22:11

This is getting more and more bizzare, just heard from a friend of mine who is from Turkey that they got a metal band in thier contest too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBL5DcJbR_A

That would be quite cool. Few days ago I spoke with friend, how all scandinavian countries should make a "secret plan" to send only metal bands to eurovision
----
... For years I have traveled in coldness,
But my heart is warm as the darkened sun above me...
Nothing can never take away
What I've seen with these tired eyes
05.12.2009 - 14:53
matos
Horror.
----
05.12.2009 - 15:35
Thorhalla
Wtf??? no way..don't pls
----
A mighty troll warrior sharpens his sword. He prepares his armour, binds his beard and tars his face. As the sun sets, he rides a giant wolf to the crusaders fortress. He slays the wrong-believers and feasts on their blood.
05.12.2009 - 16:58
Enissa
Black Metal band in Eurovision??? thats a first...!!!
though I dont like this genre, I would love to see them performing in Eurovision!!!
05.12.2009 - 17:00
Enissa
Written by Zhao on 04.12.2009 at 22:11

Lol, Manga is a rock band with style like Linkin Park not a metal band!!!!
05.12.2009 - 17:02
Dominus
The Shooter
05.12.2009 - 21:25
Overlord_PT
Eurivision in a near future will turn into a rock/metal contest
05.12.2009 - 21:55
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Which i find very metal

but i have seen 2 years of it and i say there were always a couple of rockers/metalers...only they were drowned between fagots and pop queens
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.12.2009 - 22:30
Warman
Erotic Stains
"Some people, at least, will call us sellouts, but people saying those things are usually people who have an underground band themselves ..."

Ehm, no? I rarely discuss the sellout topic, but to most average Metal fans... this is sellout.
----

Hits total: 5436 | This month: 9