Metal Storm logo
Metal and music quality!

05.12.2009 - 16:39
advent

Well i think all albums in metal scene now are just repeatitive and clones form each other,,,,, there is no fresh tunes or new breakthrough and there just few band can do music with hight quality not in production but also in music,,cuz every band now think it about production and some riffs and here is an album,,, i can't think of any band of high music quality but opeth and agalloch ,and that really bugs me:nono:
or prog. and doom as a gnere that contain some experiments some are good and some are just ok???

does any one think so?!!
05.12.2009 - 16:51
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
What is this thread even about? I think I have missed whatever point it is you were trying to make.
----
(space for rent)
05.12.2009 - 16:54
Fat & Sassy!

........... Why am I being given an update about this thread? -.-
05.12.2009 - 17:05
Enissa

Me too???
05.12.2009 - 18:45
infydreams

Hmmm, yeah...
If I understand correctly I sort of agree, but would widen the range of bands a little.
05.12.2009 - 18:59
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Quality is something extremely subjective... When you are bored from bands and try to find something that differentiates from the pile then there are some basic rules that you follow in my opinion:

-become more selective (even if you think that you are!)
-set targets (wishlist is a great example)
-give chances to new bands that look promising (yes you need to search & spent much of your precious time!)
-search the progressive / experimental field to discover new stuff
-don't forget that you will be disappointed sometimes, even if you think that you discovered the "new metal apocalypse" (yes even bands become bitches sometimes!)

And last but not least: visit & advice frequently Metal Storm!
----
\m/etalstor\m/
05.12.2009 - 19:09
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Yeah why am I getting an update for this too?

Depends I suppose. If your looking for moor "atmospheric" metal such as doom metal or Opeth, I suppose the metal scene may seem pretty boring to you. You might be interested in Esoteric's "The Maniacal Vale". If you want something fresh and unique (although I suppose everyone has their relativistic view on what exactly that is), Try unexpect or Diablo Swing Orchestra.
05.12.2009 - 19:09
Rupert

Good post tretolemus. Agreed.
05.12.2009 - 20:18
Jack the Riffer

Cynic?
05.12.2009 - 20:37
Cock_Spit
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 05.12.2009 at 16:54

........... Why am I being given an update about this thread? -.-

Same.............................no comment.....
05.12.2009 - 20:52
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I also got an update about this thread, and more importantly why is your nickname cockspit? lol Kidding
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.12.2009 - 21:09
Warman
Erotic Stains
Haha what is this?
----
05.12.2009 - 21:23
advent

Written by treptolemus on 05.12.2009 at 18:59

Quality is something extremely subjective... When you are bored from bands and try to find something that differentiates from the pile then there are some basic rules that you follow in my opinion:

-become more selective (even if you think that you are!)
-set targets (wishlist is a great example)
-give chances to new bands that look promising (yes you need to search & spent much of your precious time!)
-search the progressive / experimental field to discover new stuff
-don't forget that you will be disappointed sometimes, even if you think that you discovered the "new metal apocalypse" (yes even bands become bitches sometimes!)

And last but not least: visit & advice frequently Metal Storm!

yup i have been spending some time searching for new stuff,,, and yes there are a lot of bitches call themselves bands:lol:

there are some promising bands i heard and i just hope that they will progress in future...just hope:shit:

thnx for advise:)

@ paradoX0: i heard them and there stuff are amazing.
05.12.2009 - 21:48
IronAngel

I'd just take a break from new metal and look into other music. I didn't discover any new metal bands (apart from a few exceptions) for a few years, focusing on other genres. Now that I got somewhat back into metal, I notice I've matured and changed and there's a good bit of interesting stuff around again (mostly in doom). I originally "quit" metal because everything just sounded the same. Been there, done that, etc. Broaden your horizons some; there's no need to find new great metal bands all the time, because chances are most of them aren't so great.
05.12.2009 - 22:10
the stranger

Written by IronAngel on 05.12.2009 at 21:48

I'd just take a break from new metal and look into other music. I didn't discover any new metal bands (apart from a few exceptions) for a few years, focusing on other genres. Now that I got somewhat back into metal, I notice I've matured and changed and there's a good bit of interesting stuff around again (mostly in doom). I originally "quit" metal because everything just sounded the same. Been there, done that, etc. Broaden your horizons some; there's no need to find new great metal bands all the time, because chances are most of them aren't so great.

I second what he said.
Trying things that are not even related to metal or rock music in any sense broadens your mind a lot. Also, sometimes you find the same feeling you love of metal in other genres by the most unexpected way.
05.12.2009 - 22:14
Symmachus

I definitely like to listen to bands with originality in their music. Progressive rock/metal, avant garde rock/metal, doom metal, and experimental music have a lot of that to offer, along with other genres. Originality is definitely a thing that I will notice in music if it is original. I was listening to De Profundis for the first time yesterday, and the song I listened to by them was really nice. The bass guitar was brought out pretty well, and the song had a tendency to change genres frequently.
06.12.2009 - 00:44
ItalktotheWind
Wood Troll
Lots of bands are awesome these days. Deathspell Omega, Wolves in the throne room, Hjarnidaudi. I think the problem is that you are limited to the known bands. There are plenty of more underground bands that are great.

However I agree that the mainstream metal scene is very lacking in originality.
----
"A witty saying proves nothing."
-Voltaire
06.12.2009 - 05:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
You started a thread because you like Opeth and Agalloch and think other bands don't compare? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting the purpose of this discussion, but this all seems typical of someone who limits "quality music" to a pair of bands and some experimental doom metal. I might be out of line here, but this thread screams "fanboyism." My apologies if I'm taking a shot in the dark.

What about bands like Persefone, Diabolical Masquerade, and Gojira (to name a few)? Now one might look at each of those bands and decide for themselves that there is absolutely nothing unique or exciting about them, whereas others might see those names and spit out another handful of similar yet unique artists. For instance, I look at Opeth as a bland death metal band with progressive sections and dull atmospheres. Agalloch play some brilliant music at times, only to follow it up with agonizing minutes of ear-wrenching experiments. Some people would name bands such as Diablo Swing Orchestra or The Project Hate MCMXCIX to go along with the trio of aforementioned "original artists."

If you're finding difficulty listening to modern metal as a result of lacking originality or boring sound, either look for bands that helped create said genres, or simply listen to an alternative form of music.

I hear classical is rather exciting.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
06.12.2009 - 07:32
Thought.
A Dying God
Like TroyKillJoy said... "You started a thread because [... of fanboyism]"?

and why did my inbox get an update about this thread?

...well, the answer to your gripe, advent, is to just break your glass ceiling or to hunt harder.
----
There is no God but the one that dies with me. I have no life but the one I take with me to the grave. We come into this world alone. And we will die on our own. I live. I die. Ain Elohim.
06.12.2009 - 10:12
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Ever hear of sycronomica? Their new album is something I've been listening to recently and its something I've been finding myself getting lost in (similar to agaloch or how many people feel when they listne to Opeth, sorry but I was never too crazy about them myself).
Also as others have suggested try other genres like classical or rock. Pink Floyd is pretty good to chill out to.
06.12.2009 - 11:19
White Metal

Change your nickname into " freak Pharaoh " , and stick with your melody tunes ,,
why the hell am I getting an update about this ??!!!
06.12.2009 - 12:08
Warman
Erotic Stains
I guess many of us were updated about this thread because it was linked to Opeth.
----
06.12.2009 - 12:14
Elio
Red Nightmare
Opeth and Agalloch, in my case. Well yeah, most of metal today is bland, mediocre, unoriginal and all, but I'm not surprised about that, this is a thing that regards all genres, there's nothing we can do. Try to listen to more stuff, I dunno.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
06.12.2009 - 12:30
treptolemus
aphotic_zoning
Written by Warman on 06.12.2009 at 12:08

I guess many of us were updated about this thread because it was linked to Opeth.

Yes -that's the most possible answer & advent is noob here- no need to bash him people! (this is a general comment lol!)
----
\m/etalstor\m/
06.12.2009 - 12:41
BloodTears
ANA-thema
A lot of this depends on what you want from music. If you want original, breakingthrough music, you'll need to dig deeper, I find, because in the "surface" everything looks kinda blant at first sight.

You have to take risks and go where you thought you could never go, including other music genres. Fortunately, I've learned not to be afraid to take those risks and it pays off, even if it only happens seldomly.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
06.12.2009 - 15:02
JD
Account deleted
Seriously what

it's a joke right!!?
07.12.2009 - 02:48
advent

Written by White Metal on 06.12.2009 at 11:19

Change your nickname into " freak Pharaoh " , and stick with your melody tunes ,,
why the hell am I getting an update about this ??!!!

what!!! what u said had nothing 2 do with the thread... u wanna criticize be my guest but don't go on insult people

dont see my country had anything either with what i said

any way i apologize for all people for linking the topic to opeth and agalloch i didn't know that it will send updates to all their fans
07.12.2009 - 03:01
advent

Written by Symmachus on 05.12.2009 at 22:14

I definitely like to listen to bands with originality in their music. Progressive rock/metal, avant garde rock/metal, doom metal, and experimental music have a lot of that to offer, along with other genres. Originality is definitely a thing that I will notice in music if it is original. I was listening to De Profundis for the first time yesterday, and the song I listened to by them was really nice. The bass guitar was brought out pretty well, and the song had a tendency to change genres frequently.

it happens that i had listened to them and i found that they are amazing to

ofcourse originality in experimental music is easily to recognize and in prog./avant grand genres an sub-genres but not every thing new is good and u have to search alot until u find some talented bands that have ability to do something new and do it well also
07.12.2009 - 03:08
advent

Written by BloodTears on 06.12.2009 at 12:41

A lot of this depends on what you want from music. If you want original, breakingthrough music, you'll need to dig deeper, I find, because in the "surface" everything looks kinda blant at first sight.

You have to take risks and go where you thought you could never go, including other music genres. Fortunately, I've learned not to be afraid to take those risks and it pays off, even if it only happens seldomly.

i toke a lot of risks in hearing all kind of music and genres and i dig always for new.. and my taste of music changed a lot in 2 3 years period.... unfortunately it made me too picky in what i listened...but as u said it pays off in the end even it happens seldomly but it would be always precious pay off
07.12.2009 - 04:24
Angel Of Mercy

I agree the quality of music is going down. That's why teenagers my age have been reverting back to the older stuff or things that sound like it because it was innovative and wasn't quite as repetitive as it is now.
----
Your time will come.