15. Speed Of Light [live]
16. S.O.S. [live]
17. Anthem Of The World [live]
18. Forever Free [live]
19. Black Diamond [live]
20. The Kiss Of Judas [live]
21. Distant Skies [live]
22. Forever [live]

Destiny is one of those friendly album, which every listener can enjoy immediately: just push play and let the songs carry you away. Trust me, this album will remain in your cd player for a long time. Why? What's the secret? If you loved Visions, you should know it: excellent melodies based on minor scales. In fact every song has good vocal melodies and a melodic guitar solo. What I really love about this record is Timo Kotipelto's vocals: sad, cold and surprisingly high. The songwriting, all by Timo Tolkki, is good and quite 'simple? (if we can call 'simple? a power metal song): the songs are created around one or two melodies and they are embellished with fast melodic guitar solos, choruses and unfailing Tolkki-Johansson guitar-keyboard duets [a true trademark in Stratovarius? sound].

The structure is various: a memorable 10 minutes long opening title track [which shares my top three with Dream Theater's A Change Of Seasons and Savatage's Believe], a fast 'No Turning Back', a slow 'Years Go By', a beautiful ballad called '4000 Rainy Nights' and 'Anthem Of The World', the perfect lyrical continuation of 'Paradise'. In conclusion, Destiny is not a masterpiece, but is the ideal follow-up to Visions, a good work easy to catch, although one step down his predecessor.

Written by The Silent Man | 22.09.2003

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
ErnilEnNaur
Rating:
Destiny is the album that introduced me to the Finnish power metal giants Stratovarius and in retrospect, I must say that it wasn't a very good place to start. I later went on to discover the greatness of their previous release Visions, but Desinty never grew on me and I still don't like it much even today. The reason for this is that it suffers from uninspired, unimaginative songwriting and doesn't even come close to realizing the band's true potential.

Read more ››
published 07.03.2011 | Comments (22)

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 77 users
28.07.2006 - 05:47
Pianoman
Account deleted
For me this is the best album of stratovarius. The first track is one of the best songs of Stratovarius and 4000 rainy nights is their ballad for me.
30.09.2006 - 15:59
Rating: 10
Stratowarrior

according to piano man to me "destiny" is the best stratovarius album also with "episode" and the song destiny is the best song ever on earth i love stratovarius and hail to finland!!!!
----
power metal 'til death!!!!!!!!!
09.10.2006 - 04:31
Stratoman

as an album i have to say is not their best album as it is said, but i think as visions it has a lot of their best songs, as an album i prefer episode...anyway that's my personal opinion.. farewell
----
Metal Is Made For All Men, But Not Every Man Is Made For Metal
09.10.2006 - 04:32
Stratoman

as an album i have to say is not their best album as it is said, but i think as visions it has a lot of their best songs, as an album i prefer episode...anyway that's my personal opinion.. farewell
----
Metal Is Made For All Men, But Not Every Man Is Made For Metal
29.10.2006 - 23:01
danzig111
Account deleted
I just purchased this album recently when I was in the states. It's good, they've done better albums, but this is still good, the best song on that album i think is "No Turning Back", WoW! I find that the production is not up to par in comparison to their other albums, but oh well
16.07.2007 - 00:55
Arcaliz666
Account deleted
Destiny, good album of Stratovarius but Visions it's much more better.

Best track : Playing With Fire, 4000 Rainy Nights, Rebel
Killing Track : S.O.S
07.09.2007 - 14:32
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
My favourite song is "Destiny" and I agree that this is an "easy-listen" but that doesnt dimish its value. The vocals are impressive. Of course I don't need to mention the guitar work for its something so obvious and ridiculously superb

Overall, i think I would give it a 8.5.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
31.03.2008 - 05:25
Rating: 6
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
the epic first track ''Destiny'' wins the album... its just one of the greatest masterpieces of song i've ever heard.. the other songs are okay too xD
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
19.12.2008 - 08:44
Rating: 9
Morphis

For me this was another perfect album that i sometimes still ear. Episode, Visions and Destiny one word...timeless!
19.09.2009 - 21:03
Rating: 10
-Mayhem-

Destiny is definately in the top three.
Actually depending on the moment Destiny is either the best or the second best album they have ever made.
19.09.2009 - 22:45
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Best album by Stratovarius
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.09.2009 - 01:36
Lord_Regnier

"Destiny" is a good PM album. The only thing I dislike about it is, like any other album Stratovarius released after this one, the drums are recorded way too loud. They're so much on top of everything it gets annoying very quickly if you're not in the right mood. After a while, you have the impression to hear only that fucking snare.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"

Hits total: 10460 | This month: 12