08. Purple Heart
09. Metal Machine
10. The March To War [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
11. Shotgun [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
12. Into The Fire [live] [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
13. Rise Of Evil [live] [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
14. The Beast [Twisted Sister cover] [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]
15. Dead Soldier's Waltz [2010 Re-Armed Edition bonus]

"Oh no, not another Power Metal band to make my life miserable" if that sentence pops up in your mind, you should make if go away. Sabaton is far more talented than any of those Power Metal bands you're thinking about, Sabaton might be the next glooming star on the Metal sky; at least that's what I think after hearing their latest effort "Primo Victoria"

Formed in the city of Falun, Sabaton signed with Italian label Underground Symphony and released the debut "Fist for Fight" in 2002 (It was originally self-financed and released in 2001) and another album was recorded, "Metalizer" an album Underground Symphony owns the rights for but still haven't released.
So the band left the label and signed with Black Lodge and started to record their third album, "Primo Victoria" and have now released it, their third that's for the moment their second release.

It's raw Power Metal we have on the menu today, Sabaton's sound reminds me much of the first Helloween album (Without sounding like Helloween, just the production) and Stormwarrior. But the music is more like up-tempo hymns in the class of Manowar, but without the vocals and with more guitars, catchy music.
Its fast, melodic, raw, choir-based choruses we're talking about, and lyrics about the Second World War, as you might suspect, after seeing the cover and the name of the album.

If nothing of that might be a really good reason for you to really check out Sabaton, then they have yet another triumph card to throw on the table, the singer Joakim Brodén.
He got this voice you either love or hate, and it reminds quite a lot about Chris Boltendahl (Grave Digger), without being a totally copy.
I'm with the first group, I love his voice it fit's more than perfect that the music Sabaton is playing, unpolished and raw Metal.

All of this together creates this fine piece of Metal, but with everything good, there's always something bad, and "Primo Victoria" is no exception. The biggest problem with this album is that all songs except the title-track are rather boring from time to time. They aren't that bad really, but it's nothing special either, and after such opener as "Primo Victoria" you could expect more of the following songs.

But in general I've to say that I like "Primo Victoria", it's a very pleasant album, that's really could gain some attention, and attention they deserve. And after listening to this I don't doubt that Sabaton will create something masterful in the future, it's just a question about time.

"Through the gates of hell, as we make our way to heaven"

Check Out: "Primo Victoria".

Written by Malcolm | 16.03.2005

Guest review by
DarkRootsOfEarth
Rating:
"Okay, let's see what kind of music this band plays" was the first thing I thought when I was going to listen to Sabaton's album Primo Victoria. I had been recommended this album by one of my friends, and thought about giving it a try.

The first 4 seconds of the first track Primo Victoria just made me think of a copy of the Swedish Metal band Hammerfall.

Read more ››
published 28.07.2006 | Comments (8)

Comments

Comments: 7   Visited by: 147 users
28.07.2006 - 14:43
Rating: 9
Silhouette

I agree Primo victoria is a great album (I gave it 9).

Though there is one major error here.
There is an album in their discography called Fist for fight (also mentioned in the review). But that's not Fist for fight. Fist for fight was not an album, but a four track demo. The album in the discography is Metalizer, the one that's never been released.
Two songs of the album is posted at http://music.download.com/sabaton/3600-8667_32-100130831.html?tag=MDL_listing_song_artist, that's the only way to legally hear something from the album.
28.07.2006 - 16:39
Rating: 10
Bas
Retired Staff
first of all although i really love Sabaton i dont think they are much more talented then most other powermetal bands, they are good musicians, but not extremely talented, Sabaton´s main reason for being as good as they are, are their compositions, which are amazing, to say the least,

second i would like to point out that their lyrics arent just about the second world war, their lyrics are about all kinds of war, there is some WWII but also some vietnam and some irak and songs about other wars

and i personally think that Sabaton deserves nothing less then a 9.5 but thats only my opinion of course
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
08.05.2008 - 20:39
Megadeth_Matt

Come on dude, dont bash on power metal. what about edguy and avantasia, helloween and gamma ray, blind guardian and wizards & demons. i dont have this album, though i have listened to the songs, and they sound awsome. but since when have those other bands made your life miserable??
----
THE MAN
30.09.2009 - 11:24
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
It is very tight, all four are great, but i call this album to be Sabaton's best...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

28.01.2018 - 21:58
Cobalto

Primo victoria, what a opener \m/
13.12.2018 - 20:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 30.09.2009 at 11:24

It is very tight, all four are great, but i call this album to be Sabaton's best...

I agree its their best and he said in opening, ''Sabaton might be the next glooming star on the Metal sky'' it is, it is bigger as many other bands what supose to be bigger. Bigger even as manowar IMO nowadays.
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.12.2018 - 22:28
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
But that's hardly a measure, because Manowar is complete bullshit for at least like 15 years...

Also through the years, I would call Carolus Rex their masterpiece now
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

Hits total: 13032 | This month: 12