Metal Storm logo
Burzum - New Album Details

Official press release

It's been 11 long years and now the world will see the return of Burzum. The highly anticipated new album is entitled Belus after the name of the ancient European solar deity of light and innocence. Belus is not a religious album or an anti-religious album, nor is it a political one, but an attempt to explore the myths about Belus and unveil the oldest roots of our cultural heritage. The album deals with the death of Belus, his sombre journey through the realm of death and his magnificent return. In essence the album and the story of Belus is meant to be an entertaining story about something that once upon a time played a major role in the forming and shaping of Europe.

Varg Vikernes explains: "The album has been made according to my heart and spirit, and not to fit into any particular genre or category, or to live up to anyone's obvious expectations". The music can best be compared to the music of some of the old Burzum albums; in particular the ground breaking Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and the atmospheric brilliances of Filosofem, only the ambient parts present on these albums has been almost completely left out on Belus. "There is no special reason for this, other than coincidence and the fact that I have for some time made more and better music on the guitar rather than on the keyboard".

"Inspiration for the album has come from a variety of sources, and I find my inspiration from fairy tales and myths, from classical music, from memories of what once was, from traditional music, from fantasy, from the wind and weather, from deep forests and running water, from the sky and the sunset, from misty mountains and from yellow leaves falling from age old trees".

"My ambition with Belus is to create something I - and hopefully others too - can listen to for years and years to come without ever growing tired of it, and at the same time to share with my audience the experience of getting to know Belus, as he might have been perceived by the ancient Europeans". The combination of lyrics and music makes this a fairy tale different from most others, and should appeal to all those who like transcendental music and love to see different things from a different perspective. "If I can make you dream when listening to this album, I believe I have done a good job".

"I am aware of the black metal association with the name Burzum, and I have no real and serious problem with that, but I personally see no reason to place Belus in any category. I think Belus musically transcends all existing categories, but if I have to choose one - and for the sake of simplicity - I will simply place it in the metal category".

Belus will be released worldwide on Byelobog Productions on the 8th March 2010.

Belus [cover art] tracklist:

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning
05. Besøk Til Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans
09. Keliohesten
10. Morgenrøde
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst

Source: burzum.org
Band profile: Burzum
Posted: 13.12.2009 by SlaytallicA

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 39   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 326 users
15.12.2009 - 23:20
METAL!

Cover sucks.
Burzum sucks.

nuff said.
15.12.2009 - 23:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Konrad on 14.12.2009 at 01:11

But the corporations choose what is mass-produced, not the musicians.

not entirely. the corporations certainly are a major chunk of the equation, but so are the consumers.

if gangster rap or hair metal didn't sell, and grind core and jazz fusion did, you can bet your ass Sony et all would drop gangster rappers and hair metal bands as fast as they did death metal acts in the mid/late 90's and would start scooping up every Al DiMeola and Brutal Truth clone they could find.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
16.12.2009 - 02:11
Konrad
Mormon Storm
That's one philosophy...but I believe that corporations also want to sell things that are accessable and can be easily jammed down other's throats through obnoxious advertising. Look who was popular before the TV era...they were mainly popular because they were good! But now, with the "image" generation of musicians, it's not that way. So I agree with you to an extent, but what we both said fits into the equation somehow.

Either way...hip-hop does not define black culture...not even modern black culture...it's just a part of it.
----
Brujerizmo!
16.12.2009 - 11:40
Cesc Fabregas

I love it.
16.12.2009 - 14:25
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by METAL! on 15.12.2009 at 23:20

Cover sucks.
Burzum sucks.

nuff said.

we are glad you are so intelligent and that you supported your statement with so many irrefutable arguments
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

16.12.2009 - 16:44
blizzard tyrant

Written by Spyroid on 14.12.2009 at 14:31

I'm not Norweigan but I speak Swedish fluently, and pretty much Danish so I tried to translate some of the titles - but wait for a Norwegian to comment before you confirm thoose

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død - The Death of Belus
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning - The lowering (?) of Kaimadalthas
05. Besøk Til Kelio - Visiting Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans - The Dance of the Elves
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans - Sworddance
09. Keliohesten - The Kelio Horse
10. Morgenrøde - Morninglight/Red Morning
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst - The Return of Belus

I think that the 4th means Descent of Kaimadalthas..
27.12.2009 - 23:22
jadawal

Written by Konrad on 16.12.2009 at 02:11

Either way...hip-hop does not define black culture...not even modern black culture...it's just a part of it.

I respect your opinions and your drive to be correct, but from the paragraph I wrote, you think you know who I am. Everyone has their own opinions. I'm not going to say I know a lot about hip-hop, but I definatly know a lot more than the average MS user. I do not listen to radio rap like you suggested above.

Your first sentence, I disagree with. I think a lot (if not all) of modern black culture(american) is based around hip-hop, and not blues or jazz or ska or punk. In fact, if you seen the documentary "American Hardcore" you can see that some of the first punk derives from the rastas, in Jamaica.

Yes, like I said, melodies are almost extinct in hip-hop, and myself being a lover of melodies, I'm a hater of melody extinction.

White people are to blame for filthy rap? I don't know where you get this to, but I'm guessing from eminem? Dr. Dre made eminem from his very first single, he chose what vulgar things he said. And yes I can see how it gave ghetto black people hope, but I don't know why. Maybe most couldn't afford a guitar to play some blues?

Many people base their idea of rock from what they hear on the radio, and that's life. There will always be people who only need a disposible catchy tune in the background of their head, and if I had to guess, I would say that's the majority. How do I like it? Not very much but everyone has their own opinions.

I appriciate and respect every culture, but I have the right to my own opinion, since I live in Canada I guess. I really enjoy some hip-hop songs, but on an average, I dislike the black's gangster additudes.

And you beleive Varg's a cool guy? He's a murderer, therefore an idiot in my books. But that's just a word with multiple meanings. Yes I'm sure he has quite the capability to write some good songs, but if I had the chance for "count" varg to be my buddy I would have to turn him down, haha.
31.12.2009 - 01:06
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Written by blizzard tyrant on 16.12.2009 at 16:44

Written by Spyroid on 14.12.2009 at 14:31

I'm not Norweigan but I speak Swedish fluently, and pretty much Danish so I tried to translate some of the titles - but wait for a Norwegian to comment before you confirm thoose

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død - The Death of Belus
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning - The lowering (?) of Kaimadalthas
05. Besøk Til Kelio - Visiting Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans - The Dance of the Elves
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans - Sworddance
09. Keliohesten - The Kelio Horse
10. Morgenrøde - Morninglight/Red Morning
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst - The Return of Belus

I think that the 4th means Descent of Kaimadalthas..

That's right! Couldn't find the word, lol
04.01.2010 - 23:53
Shuvo

New logo!!
hope it will be mind-blowing like previous albums:)
just cant wait!!

Hits total: 8134 | This month: 13