Metal Storm logo
Advice for using symphonic/atmospheric elements in music

15.12.2009 - 21:23
Shipwrecked
Recently I've started a melodic death metal band, and we were hoping to incorporate symphonic and atmospheric elements into our music. Now my question is this, is it easier to write the music for the main instruments (guitars, bass, drums, etc.) first? Or would I be better off composing the symphonic/atmospheric parts (played on keyboards) before that?
15.12.2009 - 22:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm for the parts which are mostly atmospheric/symphonic i'd say write the atmospheric/whatever instruments first, then for the bits featuring traditional instruments, write them and then add the masturbationsymphonic sounds
18.12.2009 - 14:10
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I'd say it really depends upon how much symphonic element you want incorperated into the music. You can write your music as you would normally and then find certain spots or areas that you want to accent with some symphonic elements or, you can compose a piece entirely through what ever program or synth you're using, then match it with analog/"acoustic" equipment.
22.05.2013 - 09:17
scrambles
This might just be me, but i'm not a huge fan of metal songs that use symphonic parts either only as background harmony or only alternated back and forth between the metal parts of a song. my favorite symphonic metal songs all lace the metal instrument parts and symphonic instrument parts together. i know a lot of metalheads hate them for being huge sellouts, but I think Dimmu Borgir do a really good job of writing symphonic parts that carry the lead melody sometimes, and that play interesting melodic parts even when they're used as background harmony, instead of just playing blocked chords (and by "writing symphonic parts," i mean "hiring a composer to write the symphonic parts for them"). the symphonic instruments even carry the melody sometimes with the metal instruments backing them up. the song, "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" is a good example.
22.05.2013 - 23:49
Sunioj
Written by scrambles on 22.05.2013 at 09:17

This might just be me, but i'm not a huge fan of metal songs that use symphonic parts either only as background harmony or only alternated back and forth between the metal parts of a song. my favorite symphonic metal songs all lace the metal instrument parts and symphonic instrument parts together. i know a lot of metalheads hate them for being huge sellouts, but I think Dimmu Borgir do a really good job of writing symphonic parts that carry the lead melody sometimes, and that play interesting melodic parts even when they're used as background harmony, instead of just playing blocked chords (and by "writing symphonic parts," i mean "hiring a composer to write the symphonic parts for them"). the symphonic instruments even carry the melody sometimes with the metal instruments backing them up. the song, "Progenies Of The Great Apocalypse" is a good example.

For me it just kind of depends, I mostly agree with you in the sense that to make a good song sometimes or good hooks in a song is done by focusing on a certain instrument at a certain time or making a certain sound/instrument the star of the show at certain intervals. Sure, each element does its part but when you make everything flat equal (all the time) it can be a bit boring. That's why we have guitar solos, acoustic interludes, clean vocal segments etc. For instance, you can have the drums flying while the guitar is chugging at a quarter of the speed or in opposite effect, have the guitars play something insanely dynamic and fast while the drums are moving on a much more subtle frequency and it can really, really sound fantastic.

In addition to what you said, I think Axamenta's EverArchiTecture, most notably the song Incognation is a great example because the keys hit you right in the face after the introductory riffs. The guitars are following a more rhythmical path while the keys are doing most of the dynamics and lead melodies. But then the keys leave the verse for a more standard sound, with you focusing on the riffing and vocals - then the keys come back with its melodic glory into the chorus.

Though, I just noticed the title said symphonic/atmospheric. In that case, I'd say its the same way. Don't keep it too much in the background, at all times. Treat it like its own instrument and use it at the right times, in the right way.
15.08.2016 - 19:12
Metren
Dreadrealm
Written by Shipwrecked on 15.12.2009 at 21:23

Recently I've started a melodic death metal band, and we were hoping to incorporate symphonic and atmospheric elements into our music. Now my question is this, is it easier to write the music for the main instruments (guitars, bass, drums, etc.) first? Or would I be better off composing the symphonic/atmospheric parts (played on keyboards) before that?

Apparently the topic was started by a user, who hasn't been online for awhile now, but here's my advice for anyone interested in the same topic.

First of all, my advice on adding symphonic elements? Don't do it. Symphonic metal is horrible

But in all seriousness, if you have a melodic death METAL band, then it doesn't matter which comes easier, does it? It's METAL, therefore the metal elements (guitar, drums, bass) have to come first, there is no other way to make it good METAL. I used to try and incorporate some minor classical elements into my prog project and whenever I started by writing the piano or violin melodies first, can you guess what happened? Those melodies totally dominated and the guitar riffs felt like an afterthought, no matter how much effort I put into them.

I think pretty much the same goes for atmosphere too. Unless you're doing something semi-ambient, you need to think of good riffs and guitar leads first. And take it from me: if you don't, your guitar parts will sound like an afterthought and your songs won't flow properly. My songs don't flow very well either, but that's because that's truly how I like it, but most people don't like that at all.

In metal, keyboards should never come first. Never. Ever. That's my best advice.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/