Metal Storm logo
Some good psychedelic metal

29.07.2006 - 08:11
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
Hey, everyone.
Lately I've grown quite a taste for more trippy/spacey, psychedelic stuff in my metal, some groove even. I'm already a big fan of Cathedral, Sleep, Tiamat and Agents of Oblivion (as well as Acid Bath, which have their groovier moments) and am getting quite into Corrosion of Conformity (their last album is awesome). As for psychedelic rock, I like Pink Floyd and Spiritualized, but I'd like some more weight.
I'd like to know if you guys could recommend me some good psychedelic metal bands (stoner or not).

Thanks in advance.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
29.07.2006 - 08:21
Endoftherainbow
Well some great bands that I can recommend to you that fit that description are:
Kyuss - A great sludgey stoner metal band with a really bass sound.
Trouble - A Doomish Stoner metal band that are pretty old.
Pelican - Are an instrumental band that are kind of like Isis I guess they could be considered pyschedelic.
Down - An amazing stoner/sludge metal super group featuring members of Pantera, EyeHateGod, and Corrosion of Conformity.
Spiritual Beggars, Electric Wizard, Arcturus, High On Fire, Mastodon, Katatonia, Eyehategod, Crowbar, Nerosis, Cult of Luna are some other pretty trippy bands that come to mind. When you say psychedelic are you looking for trippy music if so I can tell you alot more bands you should check out.
29.07.2006 - 08:30
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
When I say psychedelic I mean, well... something trippy, spacey, groovy... kinda hard to describe really.
Pelican I like a bit and am quite familiar with, but can't listen too much to. Crowbar, Neurosis and Cult of Luna (as well as Isis, of course) are bands I like as well. Same goes for Katatonia, though I didn't know they all counted as psychedelic really. Electric Wizard I downloaded one album (Let Us Prey), but I found it a bit too repetitive (as in "same riff over and over and over"), dunno if the other albums are better.
I'll add the others you recommended to my wishlist. Thanks.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
29.07.2006 - 15:52
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
The only band I can think of when you say psychedelic metal is Voivod, but I don't even know if they are that psychedelic... well, they've covered "Astronomy Domine" so that's probably where I've got it from. You should check it out
Listen to the cover here: http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=1495
29.07.2006 - 23:49
Daru Jericho
Written by Spyroid on 29.07.2006 at 15:52

The only band I can think of when you say psychedelic metal is Voivod, but I don't even know if they are that psychedelic... well, they've covered "Astronomy Domine" so that's probably where I've got it from. You should check it out
Listen to the cover here: http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=1495

I'd just like to say that that cover is awesome. The band are too.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

30.07.2006 - 00:21
Ivor
Staff
Written by Sleep In Sorrow on 29.07.2006 at 08:30

When I say psychedelic I mean, well... something trippy, spacey, groovy... kinda hard to describe really.

Something trippy, eh? How about Porcupine Tree's "Voyage 34: The Complete Trip"? It does get out of the boundaries of Metal and Rock but it's a trip all right.

However, I would advise listening to Pineapple Thief, Dredg and something that just slipped my mind. If I remember what I wanted to mention I'll do so later.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on M
30.07.2006 - 03:58
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Hmm, Voyage 34 does not contain a single stain of metal...
31.07.2006 - 07:51
Endoftherainbow
Voyage 34 isn't metal at all in fact it's an ambience album. But it certianly is one of the trippiest albums I've ever listened to. I forgot completely about that album when I made my first post. Another quite trippy band that isn't metal that you should check out if you don't already know them is the Mars Volta. I'm not 100% sure what you mean by spacey so I'll assume it's like ambience or something like that in which case I will also suggest the Devin Townsend Band because they are also pretty trippy and have alot of ambience.
06.08.2006 - 21:57
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
You should listen to the album "The Neonai", by Lake of Tears, they mix the gothic metal with electronic samplers and psychidelic stuff, the mix is great and the lyris slam, you should check it out.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.09.2006 - 12:09
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well you can listen lmouts each doom metal supgenre exept early death/doom and traditional doom, because its not pshychodelic,
Moustly Stoner, Sloge doom and stoner metal are great, I can recomend you early Roling Stones, The Doors, Donvan and well stoner bands like Abramis Brama, you cn try Acid Bath hmmm just now I discovere Swedish bnd Sideburn its stoner, but still pshcodleic
but one exeleny band are in my mind Flower Treveling band from Japan, wery 60tis, werry great and intresing and awsome
Alos King Goblin also Japaniease band
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.04.2010 - 11:52
shisha
I would say for new Mastodon Crack The Skye album it is psychedelia in metal in its purest form. Songs like Quintessence, The Czar, The Last Baron and whole atmosphere on Crack The Sky flows with that transcendental feeling. And many other bands of post-metal genre. Also try Minsk. But as i say, Mastodon is most tasty and most defining for what you seek.
25.04.2013 - 20:33
Starfire
I don't know why no one mentioned Tool, they fall in the category- if they fall in any. I never heard any band that remotely sound like them. If anyone maybe knows a band with a similar direction, I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me about it. Thanks
25.04.2013 - 21:28
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Wow, old thread resurrected from the dead!!

Let me pimp Blue Aside. EXCELLENT psychedelic and rock elements mixed into some seriously interesting sludge and stoner metal. Highly melodic at times, less so at others; this music really tells a story!

Listen at Bandcamp.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
25.04.2013 - 21:34
FOOCK Nam
Tiamat is great band, quite unknown and not popular. Riverside has well psychedelic. I dont know if counting Darkspace but they could mix spacy element in their doom. Nice genre, for drugs experience with or without : ))))
26.04.2013 - 03:02
Rasputin
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 06.08.2006 at 21:57

You should listen to the album "The Neonai", by Lake of Tears, they mix the gothic metal with electronic samplers and psychidelic stuff, the mix is great and the lyris slam, you should check it out.

LoT are amazing, I agree with your selection, and I second that motion.
26.04.2013 - 18:42
Aristarchos
I would recommend Witchcraft and Jex Thoth.
26.04.2013 - 18:43
Aristarchos
And Hail Spirit Noir is a great psychedelic black metal band.
27.04.2013 - 20:48
baldur
Subarachnoid space and bardo pond do good trippy spacey stuff. if you dont mind some noise
01.05.2013 - 08:55
SuicidalCyco
Account deleted
Just listen to The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators by the 13th Floor Elevators, if that ain't trippy then I don't know what it. Lots of stuff from the Grateful Dead too, but I don't really know of any metal that's really psychedelic, just smoke some pot, maybe that'll help.
04.05.2013 - 01:12
Starfire
Have you listened to Uneven Structure? They have some pretty interesting stuff, that are very trippy.
04.05.2013 - 03:10
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Colour Haze should do the trick
----
29.07.2013 - 00:23
Ðírg&euml
The band you want is Ozric tentacles! Trippy as hell and the guy is mad! He never stops productions!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXAaDqPl7oY

I have some more names... I will post soon. You see I am psy prog freak. And also check last.fm for similar bands like Ozric. the rec is good.

Edit; Shpongle you may try though not entirely prog metal.
----
LAST.FM : http://www.last.fm/user/DirgeElucidatr
MY PHOTOGRAPHY: http://blasphemedsoldier.deviantart.com/
30.07.2013 - 20:18
crazycrisps
You guys should check out this Belgian band called "Steak Number Eight". Their latest album The Hutch is sick! Really nice psychedelic sounds in it too
11.09.2013 - 17:08
Aristarchos
Khors could be counted as psych black
11.09.2013 - 19:07
Paz
Elite
You will not find a better psychedelic feast, than Horseback's 'The Invisible Mountain'. Deal with it
12.09.2013 - 12:52
Aseliot
Fullmoon Bongzai

----
Anál nathrach,
orth' bháis's bethad,
do chél dénmha
13.09.2013 - 13:25
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Kylesa ??
I would say they are quite psychedelic. The new album a lot more than their older stuff.
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
13.09.2013 - 14:08
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Jess And The Ancient Ones ? also Hail Spirit Noir which I don't like that style at all.
----
The Fangirl.
08.11.2013 - 21:12
slaytera666
Dax Riggs (Singer of Acid Bath)- Albums- Say Goodnight to the World, We sing of only blood or Love.
Yakuza- Of Seismic Consequence, Beyul
Nachtmystium- Assassins, Addicts, Instinct Decay, WorldFall
Lord Mantis- Pervertor
Cross Hammer- Demo
Eyehategod- Take As Needed for Pain
Wolves in the Throne Room- Two Hunters
Woods of Yyrpes- Woods 4, Woods 5
Worm Ourobus- any album really
WitchCraft- Legend

These are all my go toos when I want some really psychedelic metal, awesome shit.
13.11.2013 - 14:51
jetrica
I would recomend instrumental bands such as

Earthless

Pelican

Russian Circles [i'm to lazy to find youtube vid - recent albums are 'Memorial' and 'Empros']

also...
Monster Magnet (newest album 'Lost Patrol' or older ones like 'Dopes to infinity')
Spiritual Beggars
Sahg

if you want dark/ambient/gothic/post etc sound:
Agalloch
Cult Of Luna
Isis,
Neurosis
Electric Wizard

Ambiental/Black
Wolves In A Throne Room
Vatnett Viskar
Panopticon