Metal Storm logo
Sons Of Liberty - New Project By Jon Schaffer

Iced Earth mainman Jon Schaffer has announced a new project/solo album that he's been working on the last several months called Sons of Liberty.

"For the last several months I have been working on a new project/solo album called Sons of Liberty. My desire is for Sons of Liberty to become part of a much larger movement that is happening around the world. This new website will be a think-tank containing lots of interesting web-links, book and movie recommendations, and much more. This will be an ongoing process, so check back often. I care very much about what is happening in our world, we've been steamrolling down this road for a long time, so I assure you this is not a politically biased message. I'm hoping to set a few brush-fires in the minds of the listeners with this one. So please, check it out, do the research and get involved."

On the Sons Of Liberty website visitors are able to download and listen to this new Brush-Fires Of The Mind album for free. You can now also purchase a high-resolution version.

Brush-Fires Of The Mind tracklist:

01. Jeckyll Island
02. Don't Tread On Me
03. False Flag
04. Our Dying Republic
05. Indentured Servitude
06. Tree Of Liberty
07. Feeling Helpless
08. The Cleansing Wind
09. We The People

(Also thanks to Biedrik)

Source: icedearth.com
Band profile: Iced Earth
Posted: 18.12.2009 by BrightNight

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   Visited by: 161 users
22.12.2009 - 01:38
BrightNight

Written by Lord_Regnier on 20.12.2009 at 20:30

Written by BrightNight on 20.12.2009 at 00:29

Also, people who complain Jon Schaffer has lost insperation....what do you think this is? The man has always been bussy with several things at once, simply because he has to many ideas in his mind. One of the most divers and hard working musicians in the buisness for sure.

I'm saying that Schaffer has lost inspiration but it has nothing to de with this project.
I'm saying it because if you compare IE's recent songs to the old ones, they feel bland, generic and mediocre.
Nothing that stands out. You listen to TCOM and, as soon as it's over, you can't remember of a single memorable riff.

Diversity my ass, since a while. It's basically the same lackluster stuff all the time.
Listen to "Alive In Athens" and you hear lots of tempo changes, variations, different (and awesome) riffs. The songs have their own identity. Miles ahead of what this band does after SWTWC.

Also, IE was Power/Thrash Metal during the 90s. Since FA, the Thrash element is gone. Listen to "Alive In Athens" and almost every song has uptempo parts, harsher and more aggressive. You don't hear anything of the sort on TCOM and the only Thrashy song on FA is the title song.
The intensity and energy of old is not present on the new stuff.

I have to say that i do agree with you on the Thrash element and raw uptempo of the old songs. Alive In Athens is just one of the most intenste records of all time. They where much more aggressive and in your face. I liked that style more to. But i dont agree if you say all records after that are not diverse. Fair to say they are more power/heavy metal and less thrashy although the way the songs are build up are familiar to me. They still are divers. I had to listen them more to get into it and in order to really enjoy it like the old songs (which grabbed my attention from the first second).

I think Jon Schaffer writes his music from his emotions. Being that in the early days the subjects and themes where more dark fantasy and emotions, so the music was. The later are more based on storylines about the end of the world and hystorical stuff and way less dark. I like both but i have to say that im more into the old style and hope the next Record will be like that again!
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
22.12.2009 - 01:43
BrightNight

Written by Obscure on 21.12.2009 at 00:09

This is a cool project from Schaffer.
It got me interested in these things which the site presents, though I've known about some of these before. Loads of information to chew, needs time to determine what makes sense and what not. Gives some topics to think about!

I'd say that Sons of Liberty is in a way very authentic Jon-Schaffer-music.
He said in the interview (video available!) that he put this project in front of everything else because he had a "gut-feeling", an "awakening", and he just had to let it out. Thus this is an album full of honest music.
Can't say, though, that this would be as good as Iced Earth (especially older stuff), but respectable anyway. This project isn't about music, it's about opening eyes.
For me he's accomplished in the mission so far.

And for the Iced Earth's current state with music: where's all the interest in progress and development?
All progress and development can not be towards "better" (opinion thingie here), but at least it's progress and development! Besides this lad has been making music for some 20 years for a living (correct me if I'm wrong), so I don't suppose he will be quitting in a long while.
Heh, also have to say, that I'm not too much into the couple of latest albums, but I'll give 'em a try every once in a while anyway. Barlow and Schaffer still are _the_ sound of IE.

Rooock 'n roll!

The same way i feel about this, its intention is to open minds and eyes and let people talk about this stuff. Doing so with the medium of 'music'. And i to think he's accomplished in the mission so far . And indeed he's more then 20 years in this buisness and always trying to get new ideas on track. Although sometimes it might sound repetitive, this Sons Of Liberty is a refreshing thing to me. Surely not what i expected.
----
24.12.2009 - 00:28
Lord_Regnier

Written by BrightNight on 22.12.2009 at 01:38

I have to say that i do agree with you on the Thrash element and raw uptempo of the old songs. Alive In Athens is just one of the most intenste records of all time. They where much more aggressive and in your face. I liked that style more to. But i dont agree if you say all records after that are not diverse. Fair to say they are more power/heavy metal and less thrashy although the way the songs are build up are familiar to me. They still are divers. I had to listen them more to get into it and in order to really enjoy it like the old songs (which grabbed my attention from the first second).

The music has softened and slowed down way too much for my tastes, indeed.
I can't help it: the new songs sound very weak and dull compared to the old ones.

Same for Iron Maiden if you compare the 80s stuff with what they're doing nowadays.

Both bands have lost all aggressivity, imo. It's still heavy but not aggressive and intense. Therefore boring, imo.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
28.12.2009 - 05:36
BrightNight

Written by Lord_Regnier on 24.12.2009 at 00:28

Written by BrightNight on 22.12.2009 at 01:38

The music has softened and slowed down way too much for my tastes, indeed.
I can't help it: the new songs sound very weak and dull compared to the old ones.

Same for Iron Maiden if you compare the 80s stuff with what they're doing nowadays.

Both bands have lost all aggressivity, imo. It's still heavy but not aggressive and intense. Therefore boring, imo.

I agree half....i would like to say they lost 'some' aggressivity and are a little less intressting then before maybe. Still not boring at all! Anyway, im always curious when they bring out new stuff.
----
25.01.2010 - 16:38
FariD AzadI

I think its a great album....as a songwriter i admire jon schaffer couse its to hard that one person write songs for diffrent bands and they all be diffrent....iced earth-demons & wizards-sons of liberty are all diffrent....the music is diffrent...the lyrics are diffrent....even the atmospher in every one of them is diffrent.....and i like them all...there is no single song that jon has written and i dont like....HE IS THE MASTER OF METAL....

Hits total: 6266 | This month: 8