06. In The Eyes Of Tyranny
07. An Illusion Of The Perfect Forever
08. Determent Infiltration
09. Deservant
10. Celebrate The Dead
11. Code Of Conspiracy
12. The End Of Eternity

Gothenburg.
Yeah, starting from a city in Sweden, it's all over the world now. This one hails from closer to home though, as Submission are from Denmark.
The band and its members are not totally unknown, as three of the musicians (Kasper Vincens Kirkegaard - guitar, Boris Tandrup - bass, and Morten Løwe Sørensen - drums) also play in The Arcane Order, and Submission got some Danish metal awards in 2006 for their previous album, Failure To Perfection.

Now, three years after, they're back with this Code Of Conspiracy and a new vocalist called Lasse Sivertsen, who joined in while the band was in the studio. Don't ask me how he compares to the first singer of the band, I don't know. However, I can already say that his vocals are good, powerful as needed, and typically Gothenburg with this thrashy aggression, and also some really correct clean singing/screaming for the choruses. Yes, the 'clean singing for the choruses' parts was predictable, wasn't it? What's wrong is that some of said choruses sound pretty uninspired?

What about the rest, you'll ask? The songs are really inspired by Soilwork, but also sometimes by fellow countrymen Mnemic, or Hatesphere for the more thrashy parts. The guitar work is good, riffs and solos are nice (some are even pretty inspired), the drumming too. The production is clean, precise and powerful, maybe a bit too much, as I'd say there's a little lack of dynamics. But hey, maybe it's just me?
The songwriting is good, and the songs are enjoyable? individually. However, the album is a bit boring in the long run, as there aren't that many variations between the different songs - with the notable exceptions that are "An Illusion Of The Perfect Forever", a electro-acoustic interlude, and "Code Of Conspiracy", a nice instrumental. And of course, then there's the big problem here: while good, this album and its songs are not original at all, as they completely follow all the tenets of the style.

So, to conclude, it's a good, solid, powerful release of Gothenburg-style metal. If that's what you're after, it's great! But if you're looking for even a snippet of originality in the field, I'm sorry but you'll have to look elsewhere?

Written on 19.12.2009 by Once your regular Hellfest reporter, now retired. I (strangely enough) listen to a lot of metal. And enjoy good beers, comics, novels and role-playing games.

Comments

Comments: 1   Visited by: 38 users
19.12.2009 - 04:11
Locke
Account deleted
Fair review. I'll check it since this sounds like something I would dig.

Hits total: 4134 | This month: 5