Release dates:

February 17: Finland
February 19: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Benelux, Italy
February 22: Rest of Europe
February 23: Spain, Portugal
February 24: Sweden, Hungary
March 9: USA

Titles in English:
The album title refers to the Old Norse world of primordial ice, Niflheim, meaning "Mist Home", so "Nifelvind" may be translated as either "Wind From Nifel" or "Mist Wind".

1. Blood March / 2. The Sun Saga / 3. The Frozen Mouth / 4. A Deed Of Northern Lights / 5. In The Song Of The Trees / 6. The Age Of No Time / 7. Gallows Song / 8. Towards The World Of Shadows / 9. Under The Root Of The Mountain / 10. By Ancient Times Embraced / 11. Manslaughter / 12. Under The Foot Of The Dwarf

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
The trolls are back and have never sounded so comfortable in their own skin. Nifelvind is album number five, and once again shows another step in the direction of complete musical freedom. This is an album where chaos is summoned and fit into place to form a well-rounded and quirky piece of work to remember.

Nifelvind is one of those kitchen sink albums where every idea, no matter how weird was kept and used in some way. Each song on the album has it's own separate identity, be it an up-beat, sing-along folk metal classic such as "Under Bergets Rot", acoustic troll encounter "Galgasång", or Finntroll almost oriental style with "Ett Norrskensdåd". Slower, heavier songs meet with black metal pandemonium, but whatever the style, you're always going to find some weird and wonderful instrument accompanying it somewhere along the line.

Read more ››
published 25.02.2010 | Comments (30)

Found in 29 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 42   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 960 users
19.12.2009 - 20:49
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
Liked the promo song on MySpace, let's hope it ain't the best of the album.

And the cover is nice too.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
19.12.2009 - 21:47
Baz Anderson
Staff
That new song on the myspace is the new one they did live - I love it. I've not looked forward to a new album as much as I am this for a long time.
19.12.2009 - 22:36
VPeter
Hopefully it revives my old love for this band.
19.12.2009 - 23:52
Rating: 8
FeskarN
The new song sounds have some similair elements to the Nattfödd album have, witch is one of my favorites by them. If the album is in the same vain as this song, I would be very happy^^
----
The Land Is Silent... Before The Storm!
21.12.2009 - 12:33
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Always the same music... please Finntroll, make me regret this statement.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
21.12.2009 - 12:50
Rating: 10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
They were once one of my top favourite bands when I first started getting into metal, but over the past year or two my interest in them sort of declined. This new song however really re-sparked my interest in them and I've been listening to their catalogue quite steadily, and have reclaimed their spot in my favourite bands list. This is one of my most anticipated releases for 2010.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
21.01.2010 - 19:39
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
The new song is actually pretty lame....very little that got me excited over it, I love the dark edge they had on the previous album. The song with the music vid is pretty cool....well the chorus is cool the rest is sort of generic.

Really hope the album will be a bit heavier than what ive heard so far.
08.02.2010 - 23:37
Baz Anderson
Staff
I love both new songs, I am definitely looking forward to this a lot!
17.02.2010 - 21:52
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTUCskdaElw 3rd track
----
We just have one life... SO LISTEN TO METAL!!!!
17.02.2010 - 22:46
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I am going to listen to the album tomorrow
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.02.2010 - 15:56
Rating: 6
Zio
Mah ... Nothing special ...
----
Knowing is not enough we must apply. Willing is not enough we must do. ~
18.02.2010 - 16:14
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
After the first listening i am very pleased with Bloodmarch intro and Fornfamnad...i'll see what will future listenings tell me
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.02.2010 - 17:15
ChrisWinther
A Finntroll album that doesn't goes all the way..

A good folk metal album but I miss the older and happy sound of Finntroll. But songs at Blodmarch, Solsagan, Under Bergets Rot & Fornfamnad is awesome songs
19.02.2010 - 04:18
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Hmmm....not as bad as I first suspected it would be. From the samples I heard I wasnt impressed AT ALL apart from "Solsagan". Overall the album IS quite a borefest though and very few hooks, if any, to speak of. There was one pretty decent song on there apart from Solsagan, but cant be arsed to remember the name.

So 6/10 from me...thought it would be worse than that actually.
19.02.2010 - 17:46
Rating: 7
JÄY
Metal slave
Only album ive ever listen to of em....like it
19.02.2010 - 18:23
Thorhalla
WOW Nifelvind is pure perfection!!!!!!! Hail RivFader!
----
A mighty troll warrior sharpens his sword. He prepares his armour, binds his beard and tars his face. As the sun sets, he rides a giant wolf to the crusaders fortress. He slays the wrong-believers and feasts on their blood.
21.02.2010 - 10:53
()
Account deleted
Very good album indeed, definitely a solid release on their behalf - and fantastic cover art! Reminds me a little of Nattfödd's cover - which is a good thing!

One or two songs were average, which is the case on a lot of albums - but 9 out of 11 were very good.
22.02.2010 - 21:35
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 19.02.2010 at 04:18

Hmmm....not as bad as I first suspected it would be. From the samples I heard I wasnt impressed AT ALL apart from "Solsagan". Overall the album IS quite a borefest though and very few hooks, if any, to speak of. There was one pretty decent song on there apart from Solsagan, but cant be arsed to remember the name.

So 6/10 from me...thought it would be worse than that actually.

Same to me. I thought it was impossible for them to create anything interesting anymore.. but this album turn out more ''ok'' than I thought
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.02.2010 - 23:56
Baz Anderson
Staff
First time I listened to it, I didn't know what to make of it - but I wasn't blown back like I was from the couple I heard before it came out.

Now I've listened to it more, I am appreciating it more. I think it's a real dark horse.
02.03.2010 - 16:00
moe5512
Written by ChrisWinther on 18.02.2010 at 17:15

A Finntroll album that doesn't goes all the way..

A good folk metal album but I miss the older and happy sound of Finntroll. But songs at Blodmarch, Solsagan, Under Bergets Rot & Fornfamnad is awesome songs

In a way i agree with you, some of the songs are a bit too "black" but the songs from natfödd were too happy. Ur jordens djup is a great album, a perfect mix of happy and dark sound. Nifelvind is a great album and i think i will appreciate the album more after i´ve listened to it some times
02.03.2010 - 22:36
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I guess Korpiklaani fans won't like this album, while Moonsorrow fans will... They simply changed their style, it's not better nor worse, it's just very different (along with UJD). But they still have that trollish something that make them sound like a gang of pixies raiding a village and raping Christian virgins...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
03.03.2010 - 02:15
VPeter
This really was a pleasant surprise for me, it really cheered me up. Really love Den Frusna Munnen, the Marimba's in it are great.
03.03.2010 - 02:44
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Written by VPeter on 03.03.2010 at 02:15

This really was a pleasant surprise for me, it really cheered me up. Really love Den Frusna Munnen, the Marimba's in it are great.

Are those also marimbas in "Under Bergets Rot"? Sounds like a steel drum at some parts though...
03.03.2010 - 21:26
VPeter
Written by Introspekrieg on 03.03.2010 at 02:44

Written by VPeter on 03.03.2010 at 02:15

Are those also marimbas in "Under Bergets Rot"? Sounds like a steel drum at some parts though...

Don't know really but I do know they also used konga's on some songs. I hope Finntroll keeps on going to use a bigger variety of Folk instruments in their albums.
08.03.2010 - 00:35
regallmigthy
Fantasting! one of there best
08.03.2010 - 02:33
Danny Thomas
Written by Baz Anderson on 22.02.2010 at 23:56

First time I listened to it, I didn't know what to make of it - but I wasn't blown back like I was from the couple I heard before it came out.

Now I've listened to it more, I am appreciating it more. I think it's a real dark horse.

I'm right there with you. the more I am listening to it, the more i am appreciating it. whereas Nattfodd i got into immediately, but it was so light sounding and accessible, that i got bored of it quick(still love it but was too catchy) i see this one becoming a favorite more over time and having lasting appeal
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
08.03.2010 - 22:33
ricemann
Yeah, its a great album!
09.03.2010 - 03:05
Krachyon
Account deleted
No obvious killers and a few songs that don't stick. Yet. But absolutely no letdowns and it's getting better with every rotation so let's not pass final judgement...
16.03.2010 - 19:55
3dd
The Trolls strikes back, yes it's not too happy like mentioned before, but still a solid album with good atmosphere.
29.03.2010 - 04:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Where are all these "killer" songs people keep referring to?

Hits total: 19098 | This month: 36