Metal Storm logo
Kataklysm

Original post

Posted by Bas, 17.05.2006 - 15:02
I really love this band, they are one of my overall favourites at the moment,

i have heard In The Arms Of Devastation, Shadows & Dust, Serenity In Fire and the live album Northern Hyperblast, which i didnt like though,

i think in the arms of devastation isnt nearly as good as Shadows And Duts or Serenity In Fire, but i still think its a quite good cd, i see the other two as masterpieces of deathmetal though
07.06.2007 - 03:57
Written by Dangerboner on 06.06.2007 at 23:03

Written by theflyingmachine on 06.06.2007 at 19:12

I have Shadows and Dust, but that is it from these guys. The title track is quite cliche, although Tracks 4-8 are solid. The jury is still out IMO on the vocalist. The deeper growls are pretty cool, but the higher pitches are....crap.
Although I enjoyed Shadows and Dust, it wasn't quite enough to motivate me to get another album yet. Only other material from them that I enjoy (that I've heard) is the Prophecy.

You can blame the guitarist for the annoying high screams, since he's the one that does them. As for the title track, that is actually my favorite song by them. It just starts so energetic and is the perfect album opener. Kataklysm, as with many death metal bands, have many songs that are cliche, so it doesn't bother me really. Glad you like the album though.

One of the reasons why I haven't purchased another album by them is those screams, but if it is the guitarist doing that crap, then I am definitely more interested in the rest of their discography. Tracks 5-8 on Shadows and Dust are excellent, but IMO, Chronicles of the Damned is amazing. The drums are fucking legendary on that song.
05.11.2007 - 12:50
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Shadows & Dust is being remastered for a re-release in the next couple days. It will include the title track's video & the US bonus track with new packaging
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
05.11.2007 - 16:26
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
This is as melodic and as mainstream as I go....but I like them. Shadows and Dust is kind of a guilty pleasure album for me....I actually really like it but I consider it an embarrassing thing lol...

All recorded stuff aside, I've heard they absolutely kick ass and take names live. I am seeing them live in December and I am so excited!!!
29.11.2007 - 05:01
Zombie, M.D.
The vocalist on Temple of Knowledge is so fucking sick. Totally inhuman, bestial stuff. I wish he were still active in metal.
----
"I really screwed up this time." - Jeffery Dahmer
29.11.2007 - 05:06
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I've lost so much interest in Kataklysm lately. They used to be one of my favorite bands in general, but I guess I just grew tired of them or something. I still love Shadows and Dust and Temple of Knowledge, but the other ones don't do much for me. They were a good live band before they released the last album, but now all they want to do is play songs from it. I hope the upcoming release will be as intense as their older material, but I doubt it.
29.11.2007 - 14:10
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
On Monday, December 3, 2007, Kataklysm will take part in a FREE exclusive live concert stream which will be viewable at DeepRockDrive. The free live stream will be viewable by fans around the world, all you have to do is register, sit back and watch.

The live concert stream will be viewable at:

7:00 p.m. (Pacific)
8:00 p.m. (Mountain)
9:00 p.m. (Central)
10:00 p.m. (Eastern)

To make sure you don't miss this event, you can click here (need just free registration ). Enjoy.
19.02.2008 - 00:23
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
elite
--New Album Cover Revealed--

Source: here.
21.02.2008 - 03:13
The only reason I listen to this band must be the drumming.
I feel the vocals are kinda weak in few songs and I feel really irritated.
21.02.2008 - 17:41
Abattoir
staff
The new cover of upcoming album Prevail is quite nice...I hope the sound of this album will be something in that way...
22.02.2008 - 15:14
NOИ
nah I dont like the cover so much, the colors are shit, my favourite cover from this band was the old one from In The Arms Of Devastation album or something like that. but I hope the new album will be nice and much better!
22.04.2008 - 00:13
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
I'm looking forward to the next album! I'm listening a new song on their myspace and it sounds great!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
22.05.2008 - 00:30
Ferret
Account deleted
Prevail is out next week, should be pretty badass.
22.05.2008 - 02:32
sq_xeper
Im very dissapointed with kataklysm, i though Prevail was going to be better, but it really sucks, they said it was going to be the best album since Sorcery but its not even close. I think their best effort was Epic
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
22.05.2008 - 02:33
Ferret
Account deleted
Im assuming that means it leaked?
22.05.2008 - 22:06
immaculate
Account deleted
has anyone else seen the summer slaughter line up??
22.05.2008 - 22:57
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Guest on 22.05.2008 at 02:33

Not necessarily: http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=6498
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
23.05.2008 - 00:04
Ferret
Account deleted
Written by Promonex on 22.05.2008 at 22:57

Written by Guest on 22.05.2008 at 02:33

Not necessarily: http://www.metalstorm.ee/events/news_comments.php?news_id=6498

Ahh, I see.
Well, I just checked, and it did leak too.
23.05.2008 - 17:09
Skeggjadr
Account deleted
I keep on wanting to give them another chance, but they havn't released anything decent since The Prophecy, and from listening to a few bits of the new album on thier shitspace I've lost all hope. Actually I lost all hope when In The Arms Of Devastation came out. The band just feels so... overproduced and commercialiased: there's no substance or feeling there anymore. And they really should get rid of Maurizio because his vocals just make it all worse.
23.05.2008 - 21:06
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 23.05.2008 at 17:09

The band just feels so... overproduced...

That's one thing I have noticed, for sure. I mean, the band has a lot of potential from what I've heard. Sometimes I absolutely love the riffing and the catchiness of the band, but the production, especially on the drums, kills it. However, I think a live setting might help this band out, but I'm not sure.
----
The force will be with you, always.
23.05.2008 - 21:53
immaculate
Account deleted
kataklysm is pretty good i love their guitars and drums but i think theyd be much better off with another vocalist.
29.06.2008 - 14:38
Freak
that is a very good band... death metal rules...
30.06.2008 - 01:25
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
i find this band a little bland, there's nothing wrong with them, it's just that there sound doesn't get to me, i think they're a little restrained in what they're playing sometimes, and death metal is supposed to be without limits to me, anyways, just my opinion.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
30.06.2008 - 17:40
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Visioneerie on 30.06.2008 at 01:25

i find this band a little bland, there's nothing wrong with them, it's just that there sound doesn't get to me, i think they're a little restrained in what they're playing sometimes, and death metal is supposed to be without limits to me, anyways, just my opinion.

I guess you haven't checked out their first two albums then?
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
02.07.2008 - 17:28
Visioneerie
Urban Monster
Written by Promonex on 30.06.2008 at 17:40

No i haven't actually, i've only heard their most recent works, but if you say the first two are good, i'll get around to listen to them.
----
Any man can stand adversity, but to test his character give him power - A. Lincoln
02.07.2008 - 18:30
Promonex
Cathemeral
elite
Written by Visioneerie on 02.07.2008 at 17:28

Written by Promonex on 30.06.2008 at 17:40

No i haven't actually, i've only heard their most recent works, but if you say the first two are good, i'll get around to listen to them.

Whether they are good is subject to taste. I don't think anyone would describe "Sorcery" or "Temple of Knowledge" as restrained and limited though.
----
03.07.2008 - 06:47
Haightredy
I really like the band, they they seem to be becoming somewhat mainstream.
16.07.2008 - 03:44
Conemetal
Written by Syk on 05.11.2007 at 12:50

Shadows & Dust is being remastered for a re-release in the next couple days. It will include the title track's video & the US bonus track with new packaging

I bought that re-release, I had "Epic (The Poetry of War)", a good album, but "Shadows and Dust" is really great, awesome, it's one of my jewels. I bought "Preevail" recently, it's great too!!!
----
MUCH I LEARNED FROM MY TEACHERS,
MORE FROM MY COLLEAGUES, BUT I HAVE LEARNED THE MOST FROM MY DISCIPLES
21.07.2008 - 02:44
sq_xeper
Im really dissapointed with their new album...but I would still go to a concert of them, to see them perform songs from shadows and dust, serenity and fire and hopefully some material of their best album (to me) Epic.
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
22.07.2008 - 12:38
Ali MetalHead
Account deleted
Kataklysm are one of my favorite bands , I was blown away when i first heard them , They're awesome , My favorite album is
"In the Arms Of Devastation" , I love every single song in it , It's a masterpiece !
17.10.2008 - 10:46
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
So I bought Prevail at the show tonight. I streamed the album before it came out and didn't think it was worth buying, but after seeing them play I wanted to buy something, and this was the only thing I could afford. With gas prices the way they are and the fact that the Seattle date had the worst turnout of the tour so far, I felt inclined to help them out. As for the album, it's definitely a step down but it's not as bad as I initially thought and Max still rapes the snare drum so it was worth the $12 I spent.