Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica interview (12/2009)

With: Elias "E.Vil" Viljanen
Conducted by: Baz Anderson (in person)
Published: 20.12.2009

Band profile:

Sonata Arctica

Sonata Arctica are big cheese in the power metal world. Visiting north Wales for Hard Rock Hell III in the middle of their European tour, I managed to get some words with the band's newest guitarist. Some drinks had been consumed, but this is how it all turned out. Enjoy:

Part 1

Part 2

Thanks to Elias for his time, and Adam Sagir for setting the interview up.
Conducted & edited by Barry Anderson.
Recorded by Tomas Drury

Posted on 20.12.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 257 users
20.12.2009 - 04:11
Rose Of Nemesis

A good interview.
20.12.2009 - 04:34
insanity.peppers

Never thought Baz would admit to liking Sonata Arctica of all bands, but like Elias said they've always had elements that make them very different to the typical Euro power metal
20.12.2009 - 06:23
tulkas
el parcero
Don't mean to bitch or anything here (I love S.A., btw) but... why wasn't the interview with any of the other guys who have been in the band from beginning instead of it being with Elias who's rather new?
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
20.12.2009 - 09:12
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by tulkas on 20.12.2009 at 06:23

Don't mean to bitch or anything here (I love S.A., btw) but... why wasn't the interview with any of the other guys who have been in the band from beginning instead of it being with Elias who's rather new?

Occasionally you don't get to decide. Sometimes you may not find out until the last minute exactly which band member(s) it is you will be interviewing. I'm not necessarily speaking for Baz here, but I know that's how it worked with me on 2 out of 4 occasions.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
20.12.2009 - 10:04
tulkas
el parcero
Written by Doc G. on 20.12.2009 at 09:12

Occasionally you don't get to decide. Sometimes you may not find out until the last minute exactly which band member(s) it is you will be interviewing. I'm not necessarily speaking for Baz here, but I know that's how it worked with me on 2 out of 4 occasions.

Oh, I see. Thanks
----
love is like a jar of shit with a strawberry on top
20.12.2009 - 15:14
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hahahahahaha yogurt in fridge hahhahahahahhaha I never put in there, I alwyas before eat it keep it in room tempreture for hours, same kike juice, and other thinks I hate cold food LOL ..... this was best last words what I have heard from band members ever , same like Korpiklaani didnt say nothing
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.12.2009 - 15:28
Baz Anderson

Hahaha, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm the opposite though, I have to refrigerate things.
20.12.2009 - 15:39
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 20.12.2009 at 15:28

Hahaha, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm the opposite though, I have to refrigerate things.

I like all your interewiews, specely video(its good for lazy poeple lol )
I watch all video interwiews even if I dont like band, but I dont read if its whit band what I dont like

I trooly hate cold food, cold watter , all cold , my troath is to sensitive to cold
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
20.12.2009 - 22:15
Number Juan

Hahaha respect your mom.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
25.12.2009 - 02:03
BlankFile

Its incredible how almost all the radios in Finland ignore Sonata Arctica, by not playing any song of them, when the band is one of the most popular ones in that country. It really surprises me... :/
27.12.2009 - 05:38
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
I think its only natural to have a different sounding album, seeing as how Jani and Elias have different styles, and Tony wanted the change to be obvious, I think. Pesonally I found out with Jani's departure that Im a Jani fan and not a Sonata fan like I thought, but its was a cool era for them, dislike the new music, just wanted his perspecive on things, but no less respect though, cool inerview though with technical dificalties and everything

-Do they play metal in Finnish radio stations?
12.01.2010 - 00:12
Metal Mike

I don't really like the new direction they are taking,I guess i'm old, I grew up on rush and priest.

I like maybe 2 songs on their latest, winterhearts guild is one of their best, and reckoning night.

course, i'm into labyrinth as well.

Hits total: 9780 | This month: 8