05. The Shortest Straw
06. Harvester Of Sorrow
07. The Frayed Ends Of Sanity
08. To Live Is To Die
09. Dyers Eve
10. The Prince [Diamond Head cover] [Japanese bonus]
11. One [live] [digital reissue bonus]
12. ...And Justice For All [live] [digital reissue bonus]

Hmmm, so this is the last "true" Metallica classic? Let me start off by saying a lot of fans consider this to be their "progressive" album, while after hearing it through, the only thing I can point out that has "progressed" is the band's ability to bore the listener into a deep coma after a couple tracks.

The first two tracks are actually very good thrash metal numbers. "Blackened" is a pretty fast song with jackhammer riffs that really drag you into the album. The title track basically carries along the same looped riff throughout the song. While as repetitive it may be, it happens to be the strongest song and one of Metallica's best to date. Unfortunately, the remaining songs do not have the force to be as repeating. The next song worth hearing is "One". I could always admit that this band has a good formula for making this sort of songs. I would think things would pick up from here, but sadly what follows is more disgusting rubble to plow through. "Harvester of Sorrow" is vaguely interesting at first, but loses its edge very quickly.

My skip button gets a nice work out until I find out?..wait?.no more album.
Yes, apparently the album has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and the only thing that can wash it down is some classic Anthrax, which I happen to spot in my rack after I put this disaster away. There you have it ladies and gentlemen. The last "great" output by a band that has quickly fallen from grace as fast as it got there, all represented by three and a half tracks. Oh, and one more thing. I forgot that Metallica even had a bassist present in the making of this output. You wouldn't know they had one by actually listening to this CD.

Written by Joey Jo Jo | 05.08.2005

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
Powerslave16
Rating:
When I came across Aguirre's review of Metallica's '...And Justice For All', I immediately spewed Coca-Cola everywhere and threatened the non-stickiness of my keyboard. I didn't see it coming, I guess. Aguirre is entitled to his opinion, but what follows is my review of Metallica's 'last great' and 'progressive' album.

Read more ››
published 29.09.2007 | Comments (40)

Guest review by
!Mac!
Rating:
It can easily be said that music is a photo in time. A fragment in where society is once shot, forever leaving the remembrance of where and who we were. This translates directly and more so intently to an artist or band, and where they were in their lives and careers when a piece of work was released. For Metallica in 1988, two-years removed from a loss of a brother, a friend and a band mate, bassist Cliff Burton, they showed their scars in an album that I can only help but adore. "?And Justice For All" is a long, (65-minutes long, 10 less than the maximum) drawn out, epic, loud, angry, and emotionally charged record that sweeps its listeners up into its messages and endless musicianship.

Read more ››
published 03.12.2008 | Comments (5)

Guest review by
Hermann Langke
Rating:
Metallica! Need we say anything more about this band? They are the biggest Heavy Metal band ever to have existed, sold more records than any other Metal band and have performed in almost all the countries on the planet. They are the fathers of Thrash Metal and are one of the most influential bands of all time. Most of you know a great deal about them so I won't be elaborating anymore.

Read more ››
published 04.07.2010 | Comments (27)

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 92   Visited by: 407 users
25.05.2007 - 11:10
Rating: 10
Agaatho

In my opinion this is the best Metallica album and i thnik the rateing 5 is just too low for this masterpiece.
25.05.2007 - 13:28
Rating: 9
RavenLord

Written by Warman on 24.05.2007 at 22:14

Fantastic album, but completely lacks bass sound. Contains a lot of hits, Dyers Eve's verse is amazing, catchy and listen to the drums in it (yes, the drums!!!)!

The drums in Dyer's Eve were recorded on multiple tracks. Why do you think they never played it live, and when they did, all the double bass is completely missing?

Anyway, I think this is a very unfair rating. To be honest, this album is much, much better than the vastly overrated and mostly uninteresting Master of Puppets. The production is shocking, but many of the songs have great riffs and interesting ideas, and they work fantastically live (view 'Live Shite' for evidence). I would give it about an 8.5, because the production does bring it down. But ranking it as on par with St. Anger is unjustified, to be honest...at least AJFA has f'ing solos!
----
27.05.2007 - 18:30
Stigmatized

Fantastic album, but completely lacks bass sound. Contains a lot of hits, Dyers Eve's verse is amazing, catchy and listen to the drums in it (yes, the drums!!!)!

Well, kind of hard to hear the bass when the bassist is practically non-existent in the band.
28.05.2007 - 14:08
Justice

good job after R.I.P
28.05.2007 - 14:55
destroyah
supercharger
I deleted my review of AJFA cause it was way too biased and praising. But then again I am a huge Metallica fan and AJFA happens to mean a lot to me. So I think someone should write an unbiased review to this album.

The album has some issues, but to rate it a five? I mean seriously, to put it on the same level with St.Anger, an album that produced zero classics? Ok, "One" is the only so-called megahit of the album, but it truly left a mark on history. Most bands wish they could do that.
----
About me:

"The best out of all the people ever" - Washington Post

"We abandoned Christ for Destroyah's love!" - The Watchtower

"Simply amazing!" - Rolling Stone
28.05.2007 - 15:29
Rating: 7
wrathchild

Written by Stigmatized on 27.05.2007 at 18:30

Well, kind of hard to hear the bass when the bassist is practically non-existent in the band.

Yeah, that's a shame. A few years ago though, there was a version available somewhere on the Internet with boosted bass sound. Although it didn't sound as if the bass was actually recorded properly, it helped in hearing the Newsted actually played some interesting (and ignored) parts.

Perhaps it's still available, perhaps I still have it... I don't know.

Concerning the album, it's a great album, but it features too many "long" songs, especially AJFA. It would have benefit from being more "compact". That's why I think it's better to listen to the songs separately.

EDIT: Blackened rules! I can never get enough of it
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
10.06.2007 - 13:59
Grey_Dandelion

...and justice for all is great..if only had a better production!and justice,harvester of sorrow,to live is to die,the shortest straw,frayed edge of sanity are classic songs!what nostalgic times...and by the way the review is bad
----
Don't turn away just take my hand and when you make your final stand i ll be right there i ll never leave all i ask of you is believe...
27.06.2007 - 23:35
+NoName+

i disagree with the rate...and with the review as well... Its an awesome album (for me at least)...The guitars are really loud, the drums are really loud...and that makes it way thrash and heavy...and bout the bass player and he's bass sound in this album... FORGET IT... what did u expect after GOD- CLIFF'S death??? U expected an audiable bass?? come on...I dont think that the non-sounding bass made the album ''a crap'' or ''a shit'' and i dont think either that this is why the rate is really low.....
29.06.2007 - 23:04
AlGore
Account deleted
This is such an underrated album, and in no way deserves a 5. A 7 or 7.5 at least. Although I guess we can't really take a review seriously when the reviewer seems completely biased from the beginning and even skips tracks?!
30.06.2007 - 01:34
Joey Jo Jo
Piece of shit
First of all, I'm not putting this album on the same level as St Anger. If I were to review that, it would get a lot less than a five I can tell you that. I don't even think half the people who posted a comment even read it. I don't believe in a universal standard. My 5 out of 10, might be someone else's 7 out of 10. What I will apologize for is saying that there is no bass on the album. There isn't any, but I can't think of more than a few thrash albums in the 80s in which the bass is audible. Slayer's Reign in Blood and South of Heaven are classics, and I can't find a single bassline. Lars' drumming is the biggest fault Metallica ever had.
----
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys."
- Orson Welles
01.07.2007 - 09:19
Noel Sonic
Account deleted
I like progressive metal, so I like it.Their song in this album become very progressive and complex.I disagree with 5.0, I will give 8.5 at least, maybe a 9.0
10.07.2007 - 03:03
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by Joey Jo Jo on 30.06.2007 at 01:34

Lars' drumming is the biggest fault Metallica ever had.

You mean after Bob Rock

This is my favourite album of the band, the final track used to be one of my top songs of all time, and I would call it perfect but the songs are admittedly overlong. I don't worry about the bass, most of the riffs are fantastic. Although I never got what was so great about Sorrow - it's my second least liked track after Beholder
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
18.07.2007 - 11:13
RideTheJustice
Account deleted
The reviewer is listening to W.A.S.P. and is judging AJFA which is one of the best metal albums ever.

W.A.S.P.
18.07.2007 - 18:18
Infurnace

This is one of the last enjoyable Metallica albums. I don't agree with the review, and I wouldn't rate it a 5. I should give it at least an 8 or something like that. It is progressive, yes, but it's still an pretty enjoyable album.
27.09.2007 - 15:58
Rating: 6
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Guest on 18.07.2007 at 11:13

The reviewer is listening to W.A.S.P. and is judging AJFA which is one of the best metal albums ever.

W.A.S.P.

Isn't someone allowed to like W.A.S.P. and dislike a particular Metallica album that you probably worship? Does the fact that he likes W.A.S.P. discredit his opinion about everything else in your eyes?
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
08.10.2007 - 23:59
Omission
Account deleted
I really do want to add to this list of comments that we, how suprisingly, have a commentor that states that -one- was their "mainstream moment". Well, the I way read it is, that he meant to say that this was their sell out moment.

I would like to point out, and not many realize this, metallica has been releasing singles and maxi-singles since 1983, eg. whiplash. Or the -Jump in the fire- single specificly for Europe to promote the kill 'em all tour. There has been talk of releasing -escape- as a single. (Personally I think this is their most "poppy-song" and it would have done well)

But hey, everyone is saying, ooohhh but -One- is a ballad, hey I got some news: so is -Fade to Black- (which was a single) and so is -Welcome Home-, and to say the least, -One- is probably the least accessible of those three.

Do some people even realize that a band is a company with three, four or more members? So they DO want to make music that they love, but they also REALLY DO want to sell some albums because a damn tourbus isn't driving for free! And newsflash: when you don't get endorsements, it means you have to PAY for your guitars and sh*t But if money falls from the sky where you live, please, let me know ! How DO you sell albums ? You promote your album through singles and posters, but, when music videos become affordable for you, hey why don't you try it that way.

Back to the review, I do not agree with the review, it's really harsh. I do not say it's their best or worst, but this review doesn't sound fair. If you think it's that bad after one time of listening be realistic and don't shun it right a way, lay back and try again tomorrow and start with a different song. I you can do that a couple of times (and just listen through every second of album at least twice, as all reviewers should) and you still come to the same conclusions, you have done your job proper!

"Stay brutal, or better yet -=stay OpenMinded=-
12.10.2007 - 14:11
Rating: 8
Olli

I Don't agree with the review at all, this album has some awesome songs on it, especially "One". I can see that this album is more progressive but it's still great.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
20.10.2007 - 02:29
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
I strongñly disagree, this albums is great, spite teh repetitive melodies, the lyrics are awesome, and it has a lot fo energy. there is not a bad song in AJFA album. "The Frayed ends Of Sanity" is my fav. one. And this album kics ass.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
18.12.2007 - 21:08
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.03.2007 at 01:05

Probably Metallica's worst album (not including St. Anger, Load, Reload) so i agree with the rating. By the way, you guys should really think about how the song "One" made Metallica mainstream and destroyed the band before you listen to it and publicly state you like it.

Well, I understand that metal is normally not a mainstream music and fans feel suspicious about songs that go mainstream but this shouldn't influence our opinions about them. For me, unlike many metal fans, if the whole world, with all its teenagers and sissies, like a song this wouldn't make me hate it just for the sake of posing as an 'underground die hard'. One is a great song and will remain great whether it goes mainstream or not!!
27.12.2007 - 19:45
Oskmrgo83
Oskmrgo83
I'm completely disagree with the rating and the review of this guy. I know that his opinion is very different among millions and millions of us, the Metallica fans. This album kicks you in the face so hard, you can feel when your blood runs through your nose, ears and eyes. It's amazing. I love this album... 10 points.
----
Now it's time to... rock!!!!!
08.01.2008 - 06:24
Rating: 7
Nyxgrinder

I think "one" is too related to MTV, but I'll say this was the last decent work from metallica
17.04.2008 - 21:07
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Good review, I like the way you think... this was my first Metallica album, so it is difficult to for me to be subjective, but I understand the frustration this album brings towards the second half. After the pirates invade I lose interest...
18.04.2008 - 03:00
MikeD

I'd say it was the peak of their career, musically, of course. Then they began to turn into a shitty band comparing to what they were used to be.
18.04.2008 - 10:10
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
why u have let this shit to be publish here so sorry for MT staffs
18.05.2008 - 19:53
IronBlackZepp

This is a great album that deserves to be up there with Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets. Musically this album is great. Somed people are just too obsessed with hating it because it is not underground enough like the privious 3.
01.08.2008 - 21:47
freddie420666

this is definitely my favorite album.
its their heaviest and deepest.
plus the meaning is so true.
03.08.2008 - 23:33
freddie420666

this last one i posted. scratch that.
i didnt read the whole post the guy wrote.
this album is a very good album.
i kinda agree with some of the songs being a little boring somewhat, but the meaning of the album speaks the truth that alot of people were scared to speak back then. idk. i disagree highly. and i agree with IronBlackZepp, people think because its slower and because it was their first album with a video, it was shitty. the song one was how i discovered ...and justice for all. but harvester of sorrow a so called "exciting at first, but boring later" song was the song that made me want more of the album. so once again i highly disagree with this post.
13.08.2008 - 19:03
Demonmayonnaise

This is an okay listen at times. Most of the time it bores me to death. You get like 9 minutes of instrumental, 4 minutes of vocals, another 9 minutes of instrumental, a solo, and there you have it! I just summed up every song on ...And Justice. Well, I exaggerated a bit, but you guys know what I meant... I hope. Every song on this album is pretty long. Some coulda been trimmed down a bit, and I think that woulda helped with the momentum of the album a bit.
30.09.2008 - 01:29
*!*

the review fuckin sucks aaassss this is 1 of the best albums in history
30.09.2008 - 02:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by *!* on 30.09.2008 at 01:29

the review fuckin sucks aaassss this is 1 of the best albums in history

Maybe for you. But I am one of those people that totally agrees with this review.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 16442 | This month: 43