09. Of Wolf And Man
10. The God That Failed
11. My Friend Of Misery
12. The Struggle Within
13. So What [Anti-Nowhere League cover] [Japanese bonus]

Guest review by
AnGina--
Rating:
Even though Metallica became more known to a wider audience in 1986 with the release of Master of Puppets, "The Black Album" (released in 1991) however, was the biggest break point for Metallica. It was praised by reviewers and musicians, it stunned many fans then and also now. With the "Black Album" their old thrashy sound was abandoned and Metallica was literally shot into superstardom. With commercial hits such as "Enter Sandman" and the widely known "Nothing Else Matters", Metallica's music became more and more accessible to radio stations and television. But as I said, I still believe it's a "must have". "The Black Album" was major break point in the rock music business and the influence of it and Metallica in general is just impossible not to notice. Not only does it differ musically from the previous four releases, this album is also lyrically much more personal and therefore occasionally softer. Still, Metallica hasn't lost their touch and the aggressive guitar sound is still there.

Read more ››
published 07.10.2006 | Comments (53)

Guest review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
Like far too many people in this world, I was largely introduced to Metallica by their self-titled album, fueled by the super mega platinum #1 smash hit single "Enter Sandman." In fact, Metallica, known colloquially as "The Black Album" for its presumably Spinal Tap-inspired artwork, was, in fact, one of the first Metal albums that really resonated with me and warranted repeated listens. Even so, I cannot confess to having much of a sentimental connection with this album, because, after exploring the wide world of heavy metal and acquainting myself with REAL Metallica, it has become clear to me that this album is nothing special.

Read more ››
published 17.08.2012 | Comments (20)

Found in 106 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 153   Visited by: 2512 users
26.07.2015 - 20:26
Rating: 9
Toxik
Written by Bad English on 26.07.2015 at 19:07

Written by Guest on 26.07.2015 at 19:03

Written by Bad English on 26.07.2015 at 18:55

Written by Toxik on 19.01.2015 at 00:10

Man i don't care if Metallica "sold out" with this one... It's still a awesome record

they sold out in next ones ... this still are good and ballad song is best what ever they have written

so the two ballads are the highlights of the album for you?

ballads always work emotionally, but no, I like whole album

As a whole it's not the best but some of the songs are some of the best Metallica songs
26.07.2015 - 20:28
Rating: 7
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Its decent album, you can listen it, its decently not one single album , good album, even after style changes, band simply was amazing , doesn't matter its hard rock, what ever, but still good
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
03.12.2015 - 13:32
Rating: 8
Growing
Honestly, it's no longer Metallica at its best but I find every song on here really enjoyable.
29.07.2016 - 15:02
Rating: 4
Joppe
Steelemeister
Metallica trying to play post metal/rock before it was cool
----
My vision is augmented
20.08.2016 - 23:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 29.07.2016 at 22:51

Metallica.. post metal.. Did I honestly just read that.

lol nothing post into this, but we can say dead because band ded after this
----

apos;'
[image]
20.08.2016 - 23:39
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 20.08.2016 at 23:15

For me the band died after And Justice and even that album wasnt really a hit.
20.08.2016 - 23:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 20.08.2016 at 23:39

this is not bad, I say better as Justice, Justice it had like weird slow riff long songs, this was artistically better a bit

PS man your posts about music, you're prommsing user
----

apos;'
[image]
21.08.2016 - 00:20
Mikolaj
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 20.08.2016 at 23:43

Written by Guest on 20.08.2016 at 23:39

this is not bad, I say better as Justice, Justice it had like weird slow riff long songs, this was artistically better a bit

PS man your posts about music, you're prommsing user

Thanks for the kind words man!
28.08.2016 - 18:25
Joppe
Steelemeister

Maybe I put it wrong, I didn't mean the album is exactly post-metal as in genre, but post metal as in the band doesn't sound here metal anymore. So maybe post-Metallica? Or just Lica? The point is that the metal is gone same as often in post-metal. My theory is that the band tried to create post-metal in 1991 and failed at it, so this album is that result.
----
My vision is augmented
29.08.2016 - 12:10
Rating: 10
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Joppe on 28.08.2016 at 18:25

Maybe I put it wrong, I didn't mean the album is exactly post-metal as in genre, but post metal as in the band doesn't sound here metal anymore. So maybe post-Metallica? Or just Lica? The point is that the metal is gone same as often in post-metal. My theory is that the band tried to create post-metal in 1991 and failed at it, so this album is that result.

No, this is true metal jope, clearly.
06.01.2019 - 21:30
Maasai Mara
Any attempts to rate this positively is cancelled out by memories of the fan Kill 'Em All and the epic Ride the Lightning. The 1 rating simply has to do with the fact that this bears the name Metallica and the shock and disgust that this albums generates and nothing whatsoever to do with the everyday radio hard rock that on its own is a 6/10 at best.
----
You are not metal enough until you visit Kenya. The cradle of mankind, where man learnt first to work with stones and first enjoyed the sounds produced by banging stones which later influenced metal in all its sounds and genres.
01.02.2019 - 15:10
Vikcen
Metálico
Written by Maasai Mara on 06.01.2019 at 21:30

Any attempts to rate this positively is cancelled out by memories of the fan Kill 'Em All and the epic Ride the Lightning. The 1 rating simply has to do with the fact that this bears the name Metallica and the shock and disgust that this albums generates and nothing whatsoever to do with the everyday radio hard rock that on its own is a 6/10 at best.

It is sad you can not enjoy one of the best metal albums in history .
01.02.2019 - 16:17
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Album is a disgrace.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
07.06.2019 - 21:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Every time I spin this, I have to go through "Sad But True" 4-5 times. What an instant hook up.
08.06.2019 - 06:07
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Bad album. But saying this isn't metal is just totally ridiculous
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.07.2020 - 14:59
Rating: 6
Metal Rasputin
Far from masterpiece in my opinion, but very logical step after Justice, where they tried to sound more "progressive" but ended up just overdoing it with way too long, pretentious and boring songs. This just sounds more authentic to my ears, more simple style fits the band even if only handful of the songs are actually any memorable at all.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
08.10.2020 - 17:15
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
This album is so dog shit. "Wherever I May Roam" and "The Unforgiven" are among some of the worst butt rock songs ever.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
22.11.2020 - 19:55
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
This isn't a bad album by no means. The issue I have is some of the lesser known songs sound like fillers to me.
22.11.2020 - 22:26
Redel
Written by Gothic Metalhead on 22.11.2020 at 19:55

This isn't a bad album by no means. The issue I have is some of the lesser known songs sound like fillers to me.

Saying this isnt Metal is just totally ridiculous. (+1)
But so is saying that this is a bad album.

Does this album continue in the line of early Thrash Metal their first three albums have drawn? Not at all -- but was it supposed to do that?
Has everyone who enjoyed some of their earlier albums been disappointed with this album? I guess so.
Are there several well known songs on this album that many of us have become quite bored of over all the years? I bet so.
Are there several lesser known songs on this album that can be considered fillers? Arguably so (though I somehow enjoy all songs -- and actually find them quite memorable).
Will this forever be the most popular Metal album of all time? Probably -- and also the most hated.
Did the band commit suicide with this album? Evidently so.

Does any of this make this a bad album? By no means I claim.
28.03.2021 - 14:03
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I used to listen to this album when I was in my teens, skipped most of the tracks and mainly listened to the unforgiven on repeat because I liked the opening guitar melody which I learned to play, on my guitar. I've not really been bothered by the album since tho, I don't find it that good tbh, I think this is where they lost that thrash sound, and went more torwards rock, they lost the plot after this album. and I think Enter sandman is the most overated song they ever did Imo.
14.05.2021 - 16:14
nonZero
One of the most popular 'Gateway to metal' albums, and rightly so; it is well-written, catchy and heavy both in performance and production.

9.8/10 for me - 'Holier Than Thou', 'Through The Never', 'Of Wolf And Man', 'My Friend Of Misery' and 'The Struggle Within' are slightly weaker than the other songs IMO.

Their 3rd best album after 'Master of Puppets' and 'Ride the Lightning', and on par with '...And Justice For All' IMO.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
26.06.2021 - 19:46
For a good number of people, myself included, this was a first metal album, so it deserves some respect.
30.06.2021 - 22:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
METALLICA Shares Alternate Version Of 'Sad But True' From Remastered Deluxe Box Set Of 'Black' Album

----

apos;'
[image]
01.07.2021 - 13:52
gavdann
Metallica used to finish their live sets with Seek & Destroy which was a great ending to their gigs even if they have been padding them with too many Black album tunes for my liking.

Now they always finish with Enter Sandman and I frickin hate that song (mainly) due to oversaturation. I went to the Twickenham show two or three years ago and actually left during it. First time I'd ever left whilst the band were still playing. I've had so much love for Metallica through the years but knew that would be the last time I ever went to see them.
12.07.2021 - 05:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
METALLICA Shares Rehearsal Recording Of 'Holier Than Thou' From Remastered Deluxe Box Set Of 'Black' Album

Cool little version, sounds good but funny no vocals, what a great band they once were
----

apos;'
[image]
15.07.2021 - 22:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
METALLICA Shares Alternate Version Of 'The Unforgiven' From Remastered Deluxe Box Set Of 'Black' Album

Those other songs was abit different this was close to original, so I was hoping to hear a bit other mix here
----

apos;'
[image]
16.06.2022 - 17:52
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Always thought Enter Sandman's solo was piercing and iconic.

Suicideboys helped reinvest the hook I used to have for Wherever I May Roam for making a trap out of it for a bit.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

23.04.2023 - 10:37
Metal’s Thriller. That’s what this album is. FIVE smash hit songs. Some good deeper cuts like God That Failed and My Friend of Misery.

Everything else is listenable filler, it’s not better filler than some that came before or after but the album is just the perfect smash hit metal album people can listen start to finish without skipping tracks.

It’s not my favorite album but by default it gets a 10.

Hating the mainstream stuff won’t lose you high school credibility
27.04.2023 - 13:40
Gag reflex
This is much better than I remembered it to be.
----
'The thoughts of dead babies
Wiped away with my semen'
27.04.2023 - 16:18
JoHn Doe
Written by Gag reflex on 27.04.2023 at 13:40

This is much better than I remembered it to be.

I kinda agree, although I have always considered this a disappointment coming after AJFA which I loved and still do.
Recently listened to the black album, minus the big hits, quite enjoyable (in 2023).
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 36241 | This month: 124