05. Trapped Under Ice
06. Escape
07. Creeping Death
08. The Call Of Ktulu

Top 20 albums of 1984: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 6

Additional info
Produced by Metallica.
Assisted by Flemming Rasmussen and Mark Whitaker.
Engineered by Flemming Rasmussen.
Recorded and mixed at Sweet Silence Studios, Copenhagen, Denmark, during spring 1984.
Mastered at Masterdisk by Bob Ludwig.

Cover concept: Metallica
Cover design: AD Artists

Guest review by
Iced Iñigo
Rating:
With this album Metallica confirm their total control on Thrash Metal and their consolidation like an international band. In this album the band members were fully adapted to each other and make a more mature and considerably better musical album. The lyrics of this album are also better than in the last one, they do not speak now about headbanging, blood, and those things, in "Ride The Lightning" they speak about personal problems like in 'Fade To Black' . Other tracks are inspired by H.P. Lovecraft and the movie 'The Ten Commandments' like 'Creeping Death'.

Read more ››
published 22.09.2003 | Comments (48)

Guest review by
ponderer
Rating:
1984. Talk about a band and an album being so far ahead of their time that they would be hallmarks in the history of metal...

Ride the Lightning was nothing less than a nuclear bomb dropped in American metal laps. We'd heard Judas Priest and Sabbath, but nothing could have prepared anyone for what was coming full force out of San Francisco in '84. Since Kill 'em All had limited success in the underground, most people still hadn't heard of the Bay area thrashers who were busy forging a new metal scene stateside. With the launch of Ride the Lightning and heavy touring, Metallica were set to take stage as one of the more brutal premier metal acts.

Read more ››
published 06.07.2008 | Comments (37)

Guest review by
TheH2K
Rating:
Metallica's second effort, called Ride The Lightning, was released in 1984. The American band verged it in an international scale, projecting that the real brutality is not merely limited through fast tempos, and other musical procedures can be tested.

Ride The Lightning widely presents musical and lyrical progress, with more mature songs than Kill 'Em All. Metallica consciously developed more political and social lyrics; the songs are not about metal music itself, demonic contents or violence anymore. Solos are better-shaped and riffs are impeccable, and most importantly bass lines won't leave any space for critics.

Read more ››
published 06.06.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 230 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 121   Visited by: 3716 users
21.12.2009 - 13:55
Rating: 10
SatanSon
I can speak for many, but Metallica was and is the Band that actually influenced most or better say all hard, heavy, death metal bands. They made metal what it is today. They said they are going to take over the world and yes they did. Lots and lots of people heard of Metallica (even people who do not listen to Metal), but many didn't heard of Death, Judas Priest, Slayer, Megadeth (people who do not listen to Metal). They may not be so heavy today, but they are the pioneers of New hardcore Heavy Metal.
Metallica RULES!!!!
18.04.2010 - 07:20
Jay-WalKeR
This album should always be part metal top 10 albums.
19.06.2010 - 14:13
Tri_Sun
Nothing to say , it's the best best best best thrash metal i've heard, ever!!!!!
05.07.2010 - 19:26
Rating: 9
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
One of my first metl albums (I'm sure many others aswell) great album which influenced many a great metal band.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
10.10.2010 - 05:23
Greatest Album - EVER
09.11.2010 - 22:42
Ra88
I have so many great memories of being a teen in the 80s, growing up with such epic albums as Lightning. I still have my blue jean jacket with all of the Metallica and Testament artwork I airbrushed. It probably still has whiskey stains on it too! For me, there can be no equivalent to that era.
20.12.2010 - 09:57
mz
Early albums of metallica are classic after classic and this album contain some great tracks. the best one is "for whom the bell tolls"&"fade to black".base line is just great.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
20.12.2010 - 21:33
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Simply, this is hands down, my fave album by Metallica. They became more melodic and adventurous with this album, while somehow also upping the sonic violence from the first album with "Trapped Under Ice" (complete with Exodus riffs written by Kirk Hammet!) and the absolutely crushing "Fight Fire With Fire". "Master Of Puppets" is the Metallica album most lauded by fans and the press, but for me, Lightning is their absolute best.
14.02.2011 - 05:16
Phantom Lord
Metallica fucken kills
11.04.2011 - 00:15
melisa
Best Album ever - Period.
11.04.2011 - 00:48
Void_Eater
Account deleted
Worthy of all the praise heaped upon it. When listening to this album, it almost seems like Metallica is worty of their status as the worlds biggest metal band. An absolute classic of metal.
07.05.2011 - 03:27
Ride the lightning is simply metallica's best album ever. It's not master of puppets. This is the real deal
22.05.2011 - 12:40
Orfain
I Love this Album
And I Love MetallicA For Ever
11.06.2011 - 17:55
Death_95
Metallica is my 2nd favorite band of all time, but I've always thought that they're most popular songs are the slowest : Fade To Black, One , Nothing else matters, The Unforgiven, The Day that never comes (It's not really slow but the other songs on Death Magnetic are a lot faster) ..
I dunno, I think Metallica's most popular songs are their worst.
Fade To Black is the most boring song on the album, Why do people love it so much , it's not even trash...
On ...And Justice For All, One is the only song on the album that is slow, the 8 other songs don't have any slow moments... I don't understand.
I don't need to comment on Nothing Else Matters lol, you know what I mean.
28.07.2011 - 18:54
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Finally bought this one. I was born in 1989 and by the time I became aware of the existence of metal, Metallica had already sold their souls, so for the longes time I felt dirty about listening to anything from them. Fortunately I discovered the awesomeness of RTL and finally acknowledged that they were a great band. Ride The Lightning is arguebly their best album and much better than MoP. They didn't go downhill with Metallica, nor did they go downhill with AJFO (Sorry, Marcel), they went downhill after this album. Not because Master of Puppets is bad, but because RTL was just so damn good. You can only make your best album once and this was their best album.

P.S. I love Fade To Black, but the solo at the end is very predictable and boring, which is unusual for a solo that is this highly regarded. Not saying it is overrated, just saying it isn't anything special.
06.08.2011 - 01:26
AbelTete
The best.....
06.08.2011 - 07:38
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I just noticed that I was the 666th visitor to this album listing. I feel suitably special.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
12.08.2011 - 18:12
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
I was listening to this album today, and I have to say that I feel a little sympathy for Metallica. They're definitely among the 3 greatest metal bands of all time, no argument.
14.09.2011 - 00:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
. 'Nuff Said.
28.09.2011 - 06:13
lepare
Metallica is the best!
30.09.2011 - 16:04
One of the best albums ever. I love this one.
03.11.2011 - 01:27
DEFINITION OF THRASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!BEST METALLICA ALBUM EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!
18.12.2011 - 22:28
@gent_-_orange
I never was a massive Metallica fan. But the earlier stuff is legendary for a reason. Very good album.
07.01.2012 - 18:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Angelic Storm on 20.12.2010 at 21:33

Simply, this is hands down, my fave album by Metallica. They became more melodic and adventurous with this album, while somehow also upping the sonic violence from the first album with "Trapped Under Ice" (complete with Exodus riffs written by Kirk Hammet!) and the absolutely crushing "Fight Fire With Fire". "Master Of Puppets" is the Metallica album most lauded by fans and the press, but for me, Lightning is their absolute best.

also imo better than Master of Puppets, I think that's when they started abandoning their true thrash roots for a much more progressive structure to their music, which culminated of course with ..And Justice for All.

this however, is ball-tripping thrash, with the best song on here imo being "Creeping Death", which is imo Metallica's best and most innovative songs.

@Angelic Storm Kirk also probably wrote the infamous "Die by my hand" part in Creeping Death, it was actually the chorus of an early obscure Exodus song called "Die by his hand".
08.01.2012 - 02:23
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 07.01.2012 at 18:49
@Angelic Storm Kirk also probably wrote the infamous "Die by my hand" part in Creeping Death, it was actually the chorus of an early obscure Exodus song called "Die by his hand".

Kirk did write the music to that section, although Gary Holt (Exodus' guitarist) has claimed in an interview that the lyrics "Die by his hand..." were written by him and was annoyed that he wasn't credited for it!
19.01.2012 - 04:43
teniva
I freackin' love this album!
19.01.2012 - 16:54
Pondscum
I flip flop between this and Master Of Puppets as to which album I feel is Metallica's magnum opus. Hearing this for the first time back in 1985 was a spiritual metal awakening for me.

It makes me sad to think how wrong this band went.
05.02.2012 - 19:56
musicalkaratekid
I think i've decided that this is slightly better than 'Master of puppets'...just personal preference. 'The Call of Ktulu' alone makes this album worthwhile.
27.02.2012 - 16:29
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
For me this is the best Metallica album. Partly due to the fact that it was the first album of this band I ever heard. And partly due to the fact that all the songs on it left a great impact on me.
I'm not a Metallica fan. I never was and never will be. But still I consider Ride The Lightning to be one of the greatest metal albums ever recorded.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
02.03.2012 - 19:48
Pelagial
Kill'em all is so good but that one is better

Hits total: 97289 | This month: 291