‹‹ Back to the Metalstormers Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34
Users visited: 436  
Search this topic:  

ForeverDarkWoods

27.07.2010 at 11:54
Written by Ragana on 27.07.2010 at 03:32

Omg. You know that there aren't many people in Latvia what means there aren't thousands of metalheads too... or whatever sub-culture. The biggest Latvian site I'm on (the biggest that exists, I think) is a Facebook alike thing with 2.6 million users, that's about 300k more than there are people living in Latvia. So you see this thing is new to me.

Well, you found one of the better places I think. Metal archives also used to be a lot of fun, but it isn't anymore. All the fun people went away and got replaced by morons.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
Angelic Storm
Melodious

28.07.2010 at 00:29
I was a member on MA for a while. Some people there were nice, and fun. But overall, I became very tired with the elitist and superior attitude of a lot of the members and mods there. Although there is some of that attitude on this site as well, its far less prevelant. I definitely prefer this site and its community. xD
vezzy
Stallmanite

28.07.2010 at 15:19
Metallum's elitist haven, but the forums are certainly fun to read.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
BestMetalstormer

14.08.2010 at 14:01
MA is just fun such a nice thing but damnly, their design is way too disadvantageous.
Elijah
Dance, bitch!

18.08.2010 at 15:22
Been a while, but some new pics are up for the people who remember. To quickly explain my pictures:

Bandages: My nephew was visiting, and we were bored. Bandage hijinx ensued.
Wine bottle: Usually not a wine drinker, but after a long day, I was willing to tackle it.
Sleepy: A friend asked me to take a photo the morning after a massive drinking session.
----
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

19.08.2010 at 22:42
Written by Angelic Storm on 28.07.2010 at 00:29
Although there is some of that attitude on this site as well, its far less prevelant.

I might sound as an elitist but I don't see elitism here (oh! the irony), not in the staff or the reviews for examples... I will say they are just sassy. I do see some elitism in the forum conversation sometimes but mostly it is a dude that is new to the site or just a troll, since I will say that most of the people that are here for at least a year aren't really assholes
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
Angelic Storm
Melodious

19.08.2010 at 23:03
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.08.2010 at 22:42
I might sound as an elitist but I don't see elitism here (oh! the irony), not in the staff or the reviews for examples... I will say they are just sassy. I do see some elitism in the forum conversation sometimes but mostly it is a dude that is new to the site or just a troll, since I will say that most of the people that are here for at least a year aren't really assholes

I have seen elitism and trolling here, but the vast majority of members on MS are decent and respectful towards differences of opinions about music. xD I think every metal board has it's share of bad eggs, but most of the people here, at least most of the ones I have chatted to anyways, have been nice. lol
Mr. Doctor
Skandino

19.08.2010 at 23:05
Not me, I'm an asshole ]:<
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
Angelic Storm
Melodious

19.08.2010 at 23:09
Written by Mr. Doctor on 19.08.2010 at 23:05

Not me, I'm an asshole ]:<

Seeing as I dont know you, I'll just have to take your word for that.
vezzy
Stallmanite

19.08.2010 at 23:21
Not this elitist slandering again.
----
Angelic Storm
Melodious

19.08.2010 at 23:30
Written by vezzy on 19.08.2010 at 23:21

Not this elitist slandering again.

Look, you've already admitted to trolling. And you're constantly putting down people who you believe listen to "mediocre" and "false" metal. Stop being such a baby. If you cant take criticism don't dish it out. lol
vezzy
Stallmanite

19.08.2010 at 23:40
Nah, false metal is Manowar talk.
Also technically admitting to trolling can be in itself trolling if worded in a certain way, like "You making this trolling thing a full time job?; Still looking for a good salary." (though it's still admitting to trolling, so whatever)

Huh, last time I checked it was being open-minded. Oh well.
----
Angelic Storm
Melodious

19.08.2010 at 23:47
Written by vezzy on 19.08.2010 at 23:40

Nah, false metal is Manowar talk.
Also technically admitting to trolling can be in itself trolling if worded in a certain way, like "You making this trolling thing a full time job?; Still looking for a good salary." (though it's still admitting to trolling, so whatever)

Huh, last time I checked it was being open-minded. Oh well.

You had already admitted to trolling in another thread a while back, so I wasnt looking for an admission. lol As for the salary, very few of us can make a living from doing something we love.

Admitting to trolling is being open minded? Fair enough...
vezzy
Stallmanite

19.08.2010 at 23:54
No, I meant the last sentence "If you can't take criticism don't dish it out."
Like, criticizing tr00ists is open-minded. Not that I am a tr00ist, of course.
----
Angelic Storm
Melodious

20.08.2010 at 00:05
Written by vezzy on 19.08.2010 at 23:54

No, I meant the last sentence "If you can't take criticism don't dish it out."
Like, criticizing tr00ists is open-minded. Not that I am a tr00ist, of course.

Meh, I've even seen elitists criticising "ultra kvlt tr00ists". lol

Being open-minded doesnt mean you have to tolerate every mindless, childish mindset. So if you're saying I cant be open-minded because I find trolling and tr00ist attitudes ridiculous, then you're completely deluded about what "open-minded" actually means. I dont think personally attacking someone because they dont share a musical opinion is acceptable at all. Does that make me closed-minded? I think not.
vezzy
Stallmanite

20.08.2010 at 00:20
No, it's mostly the whole "argh I hate this album and this is why *says why in a harsh manner*" and the sudden retaliation on how it isn't so. Sure, there is opinion to some degree, but there's a line to cross somewhere. You can't say which is more technical, heavy or original based on opinion. If the particular thing has been done hundreds of times, it's ridiculous to assume it's fresh because of a little gimmick inserted in.

When people go "Тhis album is so original/the best at its time/heavier than
  • , etc."... well, someone has to respond. If it evolves into a fight, keep on until it gets too ugly or if your point has been proven already.

It may sound like it's some inferior taste thing comparable to eugenics or whatever, but like I said...
  • ----
    Angelic Storm
    Melodious

20.08.2010 at 00:47
    Written by vezzy on 20.08.2010 at 00:20

No, it's mostly the whole "argh I hate this album and this is why *says why in a harsh manner*" and the sudden retaliation on how it isn't so. Sure, there is opinion to some degree, but there's a line to cross somewhere. You can't say which is more technical, heavy or original based on opinion. If the particular thing has been done hundreds of times, it's ridiculous to assume it's fresh because of a little gimmick inserted in.

Actually, yes you can. What constitutes "heavy", "technical", or "original" and what doesn't, is at least to a degree anyways, subjective. Sometimes when a person personally likes/dislikes a certain band/album, they can allow their biases to cloud their judgement. Like I have seen some say just being "br00tal" is not heavy. Yet others say that it is. In this day and age anyway, there is very little music that is truly original. Because its a lot harder to be original in metal nowadays, because just about everything has been done before.

Quote:
    When people go "Òhis album is so original/the best at its time/heavier than
  • , etc."... well, someone has to respond. If it evolves into a fight, keep on until it gets too ugly or if your point has been proven already.

• My point is, it shouldnt evolve into a fight. If I get into a musical debate with someone, I always state my opinion. And state that I disagree if I do. But it never goes any further than that. I have had a few disagreements with people on here, about certain albums and stuff, and it's never descended into a fight. Its all about respecting other's opinions even if they dont match your own.

Quote:
    It may sound like it's some inferior taste thing comparable to eugenics or whatever, but like I said...

The farthest that I would ever go with someone, is state that I dont share their opinions myself. I would never label another person's tastes as "inferior". No matter how rubbish I think the music they like is. lol
    vezzy
    Stallmanite

20.08.2010 at 00:58
    Actually, technical... well, I'm not gonna go on to describe that, but it's kind of hard to see how it isn't objective. Like compare, Neurom-okay fine, compare Atheist to Slayer. Original, well, like I said, if it's very familiar and bland... not high on that ladder. Personally, I don't think brutality or if you insist br00tality (when it comes to garage BDM losers) is very heavy by itself, but it definitely is if compared to a generic riff soaked and faded in keyboard melody (yes, I did just reference Scar Symmetry, get over it). I agree on it being hard to be original nowadays though, the field is getting ever closer to being completely harvested. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be honest about it.

Well, from what I've argued (and yes, trolled in way or another, but not blatant stupid trolling, more like hostile snide), it always degenerates (huh, did I say evolve?) into fights. I think it's actually kind of natural. People don't like to see their favorite bands attacked (or in others' eyes exposing them for what they are), so they respond in a rage-like manner. Although, I guess the respect thing I, in particular haven't been doing very well. Either way, I really think respect is far-fetched. I just vehemently state and defend. Inevitably arguments will happen.

Though in some cases, like that Scar Symmetry argument, it was started for that sole reason, to argue. And we all had fun, so who cares?

I haven't gone as far as label tastes as inferior (have I?), but at times I get cynical about the favorite bands and the certain position [anti-tr00ist or whatever at all] the person tries to hold.
    ----
    Angelic Storm
    Melodious

20.08.2010 at 01:31
    Written by vezzy on 20.08.2010 at 00:58
    Actually, technical... well, I'm not gonna go on to describe that, but it's kind of hard to see how it isn't objective. Like compare, Neurom-okay fine, compare Atheist to Slayer. Original, well, like I said, if it's very familiar and bland... not high on that ladder. Personally, I don't think brutality or if you insist br00tality (when it comes to garage BDM losers) is very heavy by itself, but it definitely is if compared to a generic riff soaked and faded in keyboard melody (yes, I did just reference Scar Symmetry, get over it). I agree on it being hard to be original nowadays though, the field is getting ever closer to being completely harvested. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be honest about it.

I never said it couldn't be objective. Just that it CAN be, and often is, subjective. Athiest are of course, much more technical than Slayer. I dont think there is a single person that would try and argue otherwise. Well, Waking The Cadaver are more brutal than Scar Symmetry, but that doesnt make them "better". At least not to my ears anyways. "heavier" doesn't equate to "better". As for SC being "generic", that is purely an opinion, and I'd hardly allow it to affect my fondness for the band. lol Originality is increasingly harder to find in metal than it's ever been before. I see originality as a bonus, rather than it being a deciding factor in whether I like a band or not.

Quote:
    Well, from what I've argued (and yes, trolled in way or another, but not blatant stupid trolling, more like hostile snide), it always degenerates (huh, did I say evolve?) into fights. I think it's actually kind of natural. People don't like to see their favorite bands attacked (or in others' eyes exposing them for what they are), so they respond in a rage-like manner. Although, I guess the respect thing I, in particular haven't been doing very well. Either way, I really think respect is far-fetched. I just vehemently state and defend. Inevitably arguments will happen.

I dont think it's natural at all, at least not for me. If someone bashes a band I like, then that is their right, and I see that they merely have a different opinion to me, which is absolutely fine. Only fanboys/girls and some elitists respond in a rage like manner. As those people generally have major issues accepting views on metal/music that deviate from their own. Disagreeing is inevitable, but launching personal attacks. and flying off the handle is a different thing entirely. I dont think its far fetched at all that you can be respectful of other's musical tastes, even if you dont share them yourself.

Quote:
    Though in some cases, like that Scar Symmetry argument, it was started for that sole reason, to argue. And we all had fun, so who cares?

Fun? That's not the word I'd have used to describe it.

Quote:
    I haven't gone as far as label tastes as inferior (have I?), but at times I get cynical about the favorite bands and the certain position [anti-tr00ist or whatever at all] the person tries to hold.

I think you'll find that you have. The only time Im cynical about an "anti tr00ist" position, is when its coming from fanboys who cant accept that some people just genuinely dont like something their fave band has done. (thereby accusing all criticisers of being "tr00ist") But that is certainly not my stance. And like Ive said, even some elitists have expressed distaste at that mindset. I think most metal fans dislike tr00ists, aside from tr00ists themselves. lol

I'd like to apologise for taking part in the derailing of this thread, and I think if this particular conversation is going to be continued, it should be done so elsewhere. xD
    Kennoth

21.08.2010 at 02:12
    How do you have the willpower?
    ----
    *insert something deep and profound*
    Oracle
    Orcinus

29.08.2010 at 11:23
    New pic uploaded... It's shit but ehh whatever, its one of the better pics i have of myself.
    Ragana
    Rawrcat

29.08.2010 at 13:58
    Looks like having braces is not as painful as it seemed before. Nice pic!
    Kennoth

18.09.2010 at 02:35
    I should wear them, but I don't.
    ----
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts

24.09.2010 at 21:37
    Here are some pictures of my band, The Quick that were taken at a Battle of the Bands last weekend.

----
    (space for rent)
    Ellrohir
    Heaven Knight

24.09.2010 at 21:40
    The skirt looks weird...
    ----
    The bones of beasts and the bones of kings
    Become dust in the wake of the hymn
    Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall
    No more than a breath on the wind

GT
    Coffee!!

24.09.2010 at 22:12
    Looks cool Dane. Did you win?
    ----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
    Dane Train
    Beers & Kilts

24.09.2010 at 22:35
    Written by Ellrohir on 24.09.2010 at 21:40

The skirt looks weird...

That is not a skirt. It is a Utilikilt.

Written by GT on 24.09.2010 at 22:12

Looks cool Dane. Did you win?

Sadly we didn't. While we were hands down the most original and tightest sounding band there, we were playing to a large number of Metalcore/Hardcore fans. The bands that did "do well" all sounded the same.
    ----
    (space for rent)
    Kennoth

24.09.2010 at 22:37
    You remind me of Jonathan Davis, wearing kilt like that.
    ----
    Darkside Momo
    Lazy, just lazy

24.09.2010 at 22:38
    Nices pics dane, too bad about the closemindedness of your audience...

Edit: and ever the DT fan, are you?
    ----

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." - Ray Bradbury
    GT
    Coffee!!

24.09.2010 at 22:40
    Too bad you had close minded people watching and voting.
    ----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep

Advertise on Metal Storm
    Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 34

Login or register to post here.