Metal Storm logo
Best Power Metal Album Since 2000

Original post

Posted by , 30.07.2006 - 03:05
I had to delete the other topic because I forgot many important albums that most be put such as: a flame to the ground beneath of lost horizon, the metal opera pt I of Avantasia, power of the dragonflame of rhapsody of fire (for me they're still being rhapsody) and once from nightwish.
Well as I said beefore my favourite album is temple of shadows of Angra for the creativity, the brasilian percussions, the latin feeling and the good ballads and speedy songs on it.
Don't forget to explain your choose and if the album that you consider the best is not in the list say it but please vote for one of the list thats the reason why I didn't put other in this new poll.
Now enjoy and fight for your opinion!

Poll

What album you think has been the best of Power Metal since 2000?

Angra - Temple Of Shadows
Nightwish - Once
Sonata Arctica - Silence
Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt I
Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm
Rhapsody Of Fire - Power of the Dragon .
Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground B..
Symphony x - V

Total votes: 230
13.08.2006 - 21:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Xaphiris on 01.08.2006 at 10:34

What about Demons & Wizards???

About witch album you mean

Firts.
Its more like Blind Guardian style, its more power metal and I hawnt listen it long time, but album are great and if I accept its power then maybe

Secend, its more Iced Earth style its more thrashy album and I like firts better, so I dont think its power metal

If you say so then Iced Earth
''Horror Show'' and Glorius Burden'' shood be here too
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.08.2006 - 01:10
Xeolord
Account deleted
Well, of that list I voted for Lost Horizon. But then again I haven't heard a lot of Angra yet. Everything else on there just comes off as decent for me though.

But there's a handful of Power Metal albums within this time zone that I'd favor over all of those, Gamma Ray, Iron Savior, to name a few.
17.08.2006 - 06:14
+++mr.nihil+++
Account deleted
I would say "Celestial Entrance" by Pagans Mind... the PERFECT mix between Power and Progressive Metal...
19.08.2006 - 00:54
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
What about Primal Fear or Blind Guardian???
20.08.2006 - 20:53
Bengans
Account deleted
I voted for Nightwish's Once album since they are my favourite band and i'm not a big fan of other power metal... Once is also a very good album.
20.08.2006 - 21:14
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher

Yeah I agree, Those guys definitlt should have "Touched by the Crimson King" on the poll, their amazing.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
21.08.2006 - 03:50
danzig111
Account deleted
to tell the truth, i think AS AN ALBUM, i like DragonForce's latest release.

21.08.2006 - 04:00
Alastor Scourge
Account deleted
hey! you missed lots of great bands/albums Blind Guardian, Demons & Wizards, Gamma Ray, Masterplan...
From all the best for me are the one of Demons & Wizards... so awsome...
21.08.2006 - 13:39
Xaphiris

Written by Arian Totalis on 20.08.2006 at 21:14

Yeah I agree, Those guys definitlt should have "Touched by the Crimson King" on the poll, their amazing.

Did you listen to their first album? I think it is much better than the second. It seems to me they were a bit tired when making the 2nd one and it lacks some of the things that made the self-titled album that great...
----
23.08.2006 - 02:35
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
Written by Xaphiris on 21.08.2006 at 13:39

Written by Arian Totalis on 20.08.2006 at 21:14

No actually, I havn't heard their first album, though I'd really like to. But I do like the second album a lot, mostly because it was based around my favorite book series.
Did you listen to their first album? I think it is much better than the second. It seems to me they were a bit tired when making the 2nd one and it lacks some of the things that made the self-titled album that great...
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

23.08.2006 - 02:37
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
@ Bluecifer: Sorry, I accdidentally planted my messege in the middle of your post, Here ya go

No actually, I havn't heard their first album, though I'd really like to. But I do like the second album a lot, mostly because it was based around my favorite book series.

Once more sorry about that.
----
-Kakita Toshimoko

29.08.2006 - 00:29
UnholyMenace
Psycho
There is one excellent album you totally missed - Kamelot - The Black Halo. In my opinion it is the one album that power metal really needed - it brought fresh ideas and sound to the genre with this innovative sound and touch.
31.08.2006 - 10:24
Ahto

for me Angra - Temple of shadows is not only the best album after 2000 but also is one of the best power metal albums so far... there is everything which a listener want in an album... great songs, great vocal, great solos, great feeling and great guest musicians...
04.09.2006 - 01:36
Slottet av Take
Account deleted
Without a doubt Lost Horizon - A Flame to the ground Beneath

This is also the best metal album of any kind, period
04.09.2006 - 11:47
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Of that list Lost Horizon, then Nightwish and Avantasia.
Symphony X i would relate to Progressive more than Power, but it does have elements for sure. i just feel it shouldnt be in this list.
06.09.2006 - 09:25
Asat0r

It was tought for me, but I had to go with Dragonforce. There's just something about this band that makes me absolutely love their music. This album in particular is great. Soldiers of the Wasteland, and Above the Winter Moonlight are two of my favorite songs right now. I can't get enough of them. Nightwish - Once, and Sonota Arctica - Silence came right behind this album, however.
06.09.2006 - 11:15
Yohan

only heard Sonic Firestorm & The Metal Opera Pt 1
of them i choose Sonic Firestorm, I like Tobias better in Edguy than in Avantasia, even if both are awsam...
----
tombstone.fi
08.09.2006 - 18:17
Ernotar
Cookie Mistress
I voted for Nightwish´s Once. It´s a true masterpiece and the songs are more like classical works than just ordinary metal songs. Those songs are gonna live for centuries. But I have to say that Sonata Arctica´s Silence is second on my list. It just isn´t their best one, but definitely the best since 2000.
----
You'll never walk alone.
13.09.2006 - 02:13
Sequester
Account deleted
I don't think any of those are the best for me, as I'm leaning more in the direction of Demons & Wizards, or Persuader. But for the sake of the poll, I voted for Nightwish's Once as well. It was, as Ernotar said, a masterpiece.
14.09.2006 - 16:48
Hyvaarin

'Silence' - excellent fast songs, perfect ballads, has its own sound and atmosphere, and each member performs exceptionally.
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
14.09.2006 - 20:26
Promonex
Cathemeral
The best Power Metal album since 2000 was without any doubt at all Manticora's Hyperion, a brilliant and flawless album from start to end. At least they have proper riffs and none of that boring power chord, power chord, power chord, solo, power chord guitar playing *cough*Sonata Arctica*cough*. And their singer got balls, something you often miss in nowadays Power Metal.

Second best album, also a flawless one, would be Lost Horizon's Awakening The World, which is in my opinion the epitome of what Power Metal should be about. That's why I voted for Lost Horizon, even though it wasn't ATW that is nominated here, but neither are any of the other albums I'd deem better than A Flame From The Ground Beneath, such as Kamelot's The black Halo or Edguy's Hellfire Club.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
15.09.2006 - 07:40
justice to metal
Account deleted
Well i did like all the choices that were there...but you know your missing a ton of other excellent bands ...but i gave this vote to ANGRA...good stuff:thumbup:
15.09.2006 - 18:16
Warman
Erotic Stains
Out of these? "Once" without doubt! THE symphony album, the "metal" instruments and the orchestra works in a perfect symbios!
----
16.09.2006 - 23:31
?Bodomchild?

Written by Promonex on 14.09.2006 at 20:26

The best Power Metal album since 2000 was without any doubt at all Manticora's Hyperion, a brilliant and flawless album from start to end. At least they have proper riffs and none of that boring power chord, power chord, power chord, solo, power chord guitar playing *cough*Sonata Arctica*cough*. And their singer got balls, something you often miss in nowadays Power Metal.

Second best album, also a flawless one, would be Lost Horizon's Awakening The World, which is in my opinion the epitome of what Power Metal should be about. That's why I voted for Lost Horizon, even though it wasn't ATW that is nominated here, but neither are any of the other albums I'd deem better than A Flame From The Ground Beneath, such as Kamelot's The black Halo or Edguy's Hellfire Club.

Yeah man ! totally agree with you Manticora its great....but what about Darkness With Tales To Tell ?? a other Manticora album

Also Dark Moor - The Gates of Oblivion
----
asd
24.09.2006 - 00:29
Remus

Not gonna vote because neither Kamelot nor Demons and Wizards was on the list!
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
24.09.2006 - 04:26
Invoked
Account deleted
Tough decision between SA and Lost Horizon. Just hearing that name makes me suddenly think "HEART, OF, STORM!" and all the succeeding riffs.
24.09.2006 - 17:47
Anthem

Angras "Temple" is a masterpiece with great emotional flow and musicianship
----
I swear by my life and love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor shall I ask another to live for me.

John Galt
25.09.2006 - 03:57
Savage Messiah
Metal Drummer
You should put Wintersun in that list... their album fucking rocks.
25.09.2006 - 18:26
Tydirium
Account deleted
I had to smile for a while when I saw that Symphony X was
called "Power Metal"...

The greatest Power Metal albums since 2000 are not included
in this list (to my mind)

DragonForce's "Inhuman Rampage", Gamma Ray's "New World
Order" or the new Savage Circus album "Dreamland Manor" are
great Power Metal albums, but not this commercial Sonata Arctica
stuff...

@ Savage Messiah: Wintersun is NO power metal
25.09.2006 - 18:29
Tydirium
Account deleted
Written by PM on 25.09.2006 at 18:26

DragonForce Rules!!!

Yes they really do. But I think their new album is the
greatest. Technically the highest niveau they ever have
reached. (but i hope that they will progress still)