Metal Storm logo
Best Power Metal Album Since 2000

Original post

Posted by , 30.07.2006 - 03:05
I had to delete the other topic because I forgot many important albums that most be put such as: a flame to the ground beneath of lost horizon, the metal opera pt I of Avantasia, power of the dragonflame of rhapsody of fire (for me they're still being rhapsody) and once from nightwish.
Well as I said beefore my favourite album is temple of shadows of Angra for the creativity, the brasilian percussions, the latin feeling and the good ballads and speedy songs on it.
Don't forget to explain your choose and if the album that you consider the best is not in the list say it but please vote for one of the list thats the reason why I didn't put other in this new poll.
Now enjoy and fight for your opinion!

Poll

What album you think has been the best of Power Metal since 2000?

Angra - Temple Of Shadows
Nightwish - Once
Sonata Arctica - Silence
Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt I
Dragonforce - Sonic Firestorm
Rhapsody Of Fire - Power of the Dragon .
Lost Horizon - A Flame to the Ground B..
Symphony x - V

Total votes: 230
23.09.2007 - 10:20
MaidenVarius
Account deleted
Well I have absolutely no idea why V the mythology suite is on there, sure symphony x has some power metal in them but they are definitely progressive metal. I also have absolutely no idea how Sonic Firestorm beats Temple of Shadows, which is by far the best album on there, but silence is the next best. I would say V is the second best but its not even really power metal so it doesn't count.
21.10.2007 - 02:54
necrovamp

lost horizon, its a close call but ive been listening to it a lot recently and i like the airy atmosphere of it, it makes you feel as though youron a wind swepth cliff being sprayed by sea, im rambling now arn't i?
----
'I'd rather die than go to heaven' - Murderface
22.10.2007 - 17:40
Abattoir

Rhapsody of Fire - Power of... Cause almost all the songs on the album are very fast and agressiv with lots of symphonic parts, which I like a lot...And the stories in this album are great before the sleeptime...
23.10.2007 - 02:30
PowerMetal
Account deleted
I think Avantasia's The Metal Opera is a classic and Tobias Sammet's best work ever. All the albums are good, but that one's my favorite overall.
09.01.2008 - 18:32
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
The Odyssey by symphony x everything in this albums is perfect almost as great as the divine wings of tragedy, it has the greatest riffs ever the vocals are more agressive than previous albums and the melodies are much more complex
----
Stay Metal !!!
09.01.2008 - 23:05
DreamWeaver

No Kamelot here? They are perhaps the best power metal band since 2000. Karma, Epica and Black Halo beat the hell out of each of those albums.
----
10.01.2008 - 04:51
Ascalon

Written by DreamWeaver on 09.01.2008 at 23:05

No Kamelot here? They are perhaps the best power metal band since 2000. Karma, Epica and Black Halo beat the hell out of each of those albums.

I agree... what about Epica ... ?? that's a superb album ... I voted for Temple of Shadows wich it's better but Kamelor it's a good band. XD ... After those ones ... I think that Avantasia albums ...or Masterplan work ...
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
13.01.2008 - 21:06
Son of Odin

Dragon force - Sonic firestorm.
----
METAL UNITES US ALL!
07.02.2008 - 22:17
Lothroniell
Account deleted
Avantasia - The Metal Opera Pt I
18.02.2008 - 21:12
Imraghil

Where the hell is Kamelot?? They have since 2000 4 masterpieces made! 2001: Karma, 2003: Epica, 2005: The Black Halo, 2007: Ghost Opera. From the list up here i chose for Sonata Arctica, Silence.
19.02.2008 - 03:42
iaberis
Advice Troll
I'm going for the Avantasia since it was from the first that got me into metal. The Dragonforce option is very good too.
----
Bitch! Please
19.02.2008 - 10:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Imraghil on 18.02.2008 at 21:12

Where the hell is Kamelot?? They have since 2000 4 masterpieces made! 2001: Karma, 2003: Epica, 2005: The Black Halo, 2007: Ghost Opera. From the list up here i chose for Sonata Arctica, Silence.

Bets Kamelot albums was in deep past in werry early days and worst was aftrer 2000
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.08.2008 - 06:12
Trinstar

Well, this was an easy one for me I have to give it to Sonata Arctica, for their album was more than decent, but nothing can compare to the 200bpm barrage of shred-heavy fanfare that Dragonforce delivers on possibly their most memorable piece, Sonic Firestorm. The blazing sweeps have made their mark on many an aspiring young guitar player, and as far as sheer technicality and showmanship is concerned, these guys are unrivaled in modern heavy metal.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
01.08.2008 - 06:55
thesabbathfan

Written by Trinstar on 01.08.2008 at 06:12

Well, this was an easy one for me I have to give it to Sonata Arctica, for their album was more than decent, but nothing can compare to the 200bpm barrage of shred-heavy fanfare that Dragonforce delivers on possibly their most memorable piece, Sonic Firestorm. The blazing sweeps have made their mark on many an aspiring young guitar player, and as far as sheer technicality and showmanship is concerned, these guys are unrivaled in modern heavy metal.

umm... you do realize that:
A) solos are sped up in studio
B) they put no effort into the lyrics, as if they could pump that shit out of their asses all day
C) they're incredibly horrible live

but whatever. your tastes are your tastes.

I voted power of the dragon (my fav on the list), but my favourite power metal album this decade has got to be A Twist in The Myth by Blind Guardian
----
01.08.2008 - 09:15
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i picked Power of the DragonFlame. i can listen to that album beginning to end even now after playing it semi regularly for the past 3 years. i can definitely see why angra would get a fairly high vote. theyre epic.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
29.08.2008 - 22:34
ashgard

You have missed some real power metal bands and you have added some of other styles bands. There is no reason to vote in this wrog poll.
01.09.2008 - 02:26
Iron Priest

Kamelot is lacking on here, but for me the best is nightwish. Sure they're symphonic but they are power too.

I can't stand dragonforce. Every song is the exact same. And as a brother from Canada said above "They're incredibly horrible live"
01.09.2008 - 04:12
Hrothdane

Written by Iron Priest on 01.09.2008 at 02:26

Kamelot is lacking on here, but for me the best is nightwish. Sure they're symphonic but they are power too.

I can't stand dragonforce. Every song is the exact same. And as a brother from Canada said above "They're incredibly horrible live"

I hear that they are mostly just horribly inconsistent live, sometimes they put on a great show and other times suck horribly (usually depends on whether Herman has a hangover).
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
01.09.2008 - 04:57
Iron Priest

Written by Hrothdane on 01.09.2008 at 04:12

Written by Iron Priest on 01.09.2008 at 02:26

I hear that they are mostly just horribly inconsistent live, sometimes they put on a great show and other times suck horribly (usually depends on whether Herman has a hangover).

well I don't know about his drinking habits, but I've seen them live and they can't keep it together.
03.09.2008 - 06:27
Hrothdane

There are a lot of great bands/albums missing from here: Blind Guardian's A Night at the Opera and A Twist in the Myth deserve to be on the list (at least 1 of them), Kamelot released FOUR albums in that time period and not a single one is on the list, and Falconer doesn't have a single album on the list out of four albums too (I'm of course not counting the 2 albums without Mathias).
----

03.09.2008 - 18:17
Janne
Hugin
Wisdom's Words Of Wisdom is the best! From the list I'd choose Silence.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
03.09.2008 - 19:18
-Soulreaper-

Went with Lost Horizon, just the best album out of that list in my opinion.
23.09.2008 - 23:05
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Sonic Firestorm is one of the best Album ever that album makes me feel Powermetal is the best Genre. Dragonforce is awesome. All songs is highrated at this album. Nothing is bad with it.

Which album from Rhapsody has Emerald Sword?
23.09.2008 - 23:48
Scottgun

Power of the Dragonflame for me. Rhapsody also strikes me as fairly seamless from studio to live.
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp
02.10.2008 - 12:30
Trinstar

B) they put no effort into the lyrics, as if they could pump that shit out of their asses all day

A) What is your source? Solos sped up? Do you have proof of this? Hearsay?
B) No effort should not be confused with no feeling. I think the lyrics do well as far as imagery and entertaining, and tales of dragons and epic adventures is as good of lyrics as I could ask for. Like I give a damn about some "heartfelt" lyrics. Save that for the Emos.
C) Actually, I have seen them 3 times and they were the best band there all three times. They made Chimera and Killswitch look terrible, and the crowd was chanting for more DragonForce. Actually they kicked ass, and played all the songs at 100% tempo with an approximately 98% accuracy. Better than I can do on expert.
----
Every one of us has heard the call
Brothers of True Metal, proud and standing tall
We know the power within us has brought us to this hall
There's magic in the metal; there's magic is us all
02.10.2008 - 19:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Trinstar on 02.10.2008 at 12:30

A) What is your source? Solos sped up? Do you have proof of this? Hearsay?
B) No effort should not be confused with no feeling. I think the lyrics do well as far as imagery and entertaining, and tales of dragons and epic adventures is as good of lyrics as I could ask for. Like I give a damn about some "heartfelt" lyrics. Save that for the Emos.
C) Actually, I have seen them 3 times and they were the best band there all three times. They made Chimera and Killswitch look terrible, and the crowd was chanting for more DragonForce. Actually they kicked ass, and played all the songs at 100% tempo with an approximately 98% accuracy. Better than I can do on expert.

WTF is this, whay you post it here its best power metal album after 2000

I didnt get bout what album and band you talk
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.10.2008 - 16:18
Narloth

I vote for the mighty Power of the Dragonflame on principle:D. I haven't heard Dragonforce, but the others from the list, in my epic opinion, can't be compared to Rhapsody *is a fan * I like Avantasia and Sonata Arctica, too. If I exclude the mysterious Dragonforce, I surely give the 2d3d place to them
However, Blind Guardian should be in the list, too. (Or do you consider Twist in the Myth prog metal? )
09.10.2008 - 06:08
nana.MD
Star-Queen
...symphony-x power metal?? huh?? i think they're more prog...
hmm im not much into power anymore but i picked angra's temple of shadows...
----
Live how you want just don't feed on me, if you doubt what I say I will make you believe...
09.10.2008 - 06:30
Hrothdane

Written by nana.MD on 09.10.2008 at 06:08

...symphony-x power metal?? huh?? i think they're more prog...
hmm im not much into power anymore but i picked angra's temple of shadows...

Symphony X has significant elements of both, especially in their Paradise Lost album.
----

10.10.2008 - 21:20
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Yeah I'd say Symphony X is powermetal...progressive but still powermetal. "Paradise Lost" is probably the best PROG power metal album Ive heard in the past 5 years but Lost Horizon's "A Flame the the Ground Beneath" is the best power metal album Ive ever heard, period. Followed closely with their debut "Awakening the World". No power band will ever be this good again....