Metal Storm logo
Reverorum Ib Malacht - What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas? review

Bandcamp music player
Reviewer:

12 users:
Band: Reverorum Ib Malacht
Album: What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas?
Style: Dark Ambient, Black metal
Release date: July 2005

01. What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas?
02. ...And Bathe In Cold Holy Water

Our precious genre of 'Heavy Metal' is now, say, about forty years old. In these forty years there have been quite a few bands that tried to scare us. From Black Sabbath through Demilich to Darkspace and Esoteric. Occult symbolism, harsh noise, whirlwinds and sandstorms, underground caves, mad monks, labyrinths and cosmic terrors, we've seen much and by now we're used to much. Right?

Well, if you're really all that tough and masculine, and want to prove yourself, allow me to introduce you to Reverorum Ib Malacht. Or more in particular, their first demo What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas? (from now on referred to as Judas). Sounds tacky? Think again...

Judas opens up with howling winds and screaming voices. But soon enough an ardent stream envelops you. Within seconds your cosy living room has disappeared and you find yourself in the catacombs of an ancient abandoned monastery, where monks that once resided there suddenly disappeared seemingly without reason, until rumours of an allegiance with the Devil spread in the surrounding villages. It is the production that is largely responsible for the eerie vibe, as it is cataclysmic at the very least. The guitars, keyboards and drums are running rampant, but they're largely indistinguishable. They're morphed into one single stream, one smooth flow of sounds because of the awful (yet amazing) way it is all produced. It's as if every sound echoes through the infinite labyrinths of madness, forever and ever.

"...And Bathe In Cold Holy Water" continues the devilish insanity portrayed in "Judas" and tops it. What a breathtakingly delusional hymn! A beautiful intro slowly dissolves into harsh noise until the hellish stream-of-consciousness takes over again. One last element remains to be described: the vocals. No screams, no shrieks, no growls. No, only hallow, distant and hymnic vocals. Vocals with a confusing warmth to them, all the while remaining eerily estranging, utterly fanatic and despaired beyond words. There are no words.

Judas is Black metal in essence, but Black metal morphed beyond recognition. Amidst the large, ambient walls short bursts of rage spawn and dissolve. These burst seem largely improvised due to their chaotic, sloppy nature and their inconsistent appearances. Still, all the hellish, haunting and horrifying elements of Black metal are kept, intensified by evil Dark Ambient.

So, What Do You Think Of The Old God, We Call Him Judas? I have no choice but to fear and worship him. Unique. Breathtaking. Horrific. Fanatically fantastic.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written on 24.12.2009 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 77   Visited by: 230 users
24.12.2009 - 16:28
Baz Anderson

Is there anywhere I can hear it? Sounds interesting.
24.12.2009 - 16:42
Rating: 9
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Hmmm, all the MySpace samples are from the later two (fully ambient, lesser) demos. Mr. Google should have it though.

I'm not sure, but I think it sold out. You may bump into a lost and found copy here and there though.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.12.2009 - 16:42
Enissa

Yeah, where can I find it?
24.12.2009 - 16:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
It's readily available on a lot of blogs. I'm not sure if it's still for sale, sorry.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
24.12.2009 - 17:17
Baz Anderson

I don't know if it is the production, or the speakers I have here in Grimsby - or both - but this was just impossible to listen to. The drums are hardly audible at all...
I do like the idea of these church-like vocals though.
24.12.2009 - 17:19
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Baz Anderson on 24.12.2009 at 17:17

I don't know if it is the production, or the speakers I have here in Grimsby - or both - but this was just impossible to listen to. The drums are hardly audible at all...

Did you turn the volume up?
----

24.12.2009 - 17:26
Baz Anderson

Written by Lucas on 24.12.2009 at 17:19

Yes, it already was quite up - it just made everything way too overbearing. These aren't the best speakers for detail though (but they are for volume, haha), so maybe they are partly to blame.
24.12.2009 - 17:28
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Baz Anderson on 24.12.2009 at 17:26

Written by Lucas on 24.12.2009 at 17:19

Yes, it already was quite up - it just made everything way too overbearing. These aren't the best speakers for detail though (but they are for volume, haha), so maybe they are partly to blame.

I don't know, the production is pretty awful. It's one of those typical Black metal awful = amazing productions, ya know.
----

24.12.2009 - 18:33
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
It sounds like its coming from another room
24.12.2009 - 18:34
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by jupitreas on 24.12.2009 at 18:33

You lack imagination.
----

24.12.2009 - 19:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino

How ironic, since you did a review for Impetuous Ritual and they [together with Portal] TOTALLY sound like they are in another room
____

I agree with Lucas, this kind of music needs imagination. For some people it sounds like they are in the other room, from me it sounds like they were playing in a fucking creepy cave in the middle of a storm, wtih no lights... worshiping their gods in the most eerie way possible.

I really liked this demo and I have to thank Lucas for showing me this stuff. For those who want to hear Eerie music, lsiten to this stuff alone at 2AM, it's really fucked up. The second track actually maded me jump a lot of times.

Oh, and the vocals... Brilliant, beautifully disturbing. Great review Lucas, it deserved a good one.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.12.2009 - 21:51
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Lucas on 24.12.2009 at 18:34

You lack imagination.

You lack taste.

I should probably actually listen to this before I continue cutting you down though...
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
24.12.2009 - 21:57
silenius

This sounds like something i´d love, sounds like perfect falling asleep music^^ The Maniacal vale is my current falling asleep album:D
24.12.2009 - 22:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Doc G. on 24.12.2009 at 21:51

Written by Lucas on 24.12.2009 at 18:34

You lack imagination.

You lack taste.

I should probably actually listen to this before I continue cutting you down though...

You lack intelligence.

Gotta love when someone bashes one album before listening to it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.12.2009 - 00:09
Rating: 2
Ilham
Giant robot
Hey, shut up bitches .

So why did you review this album Lucas? We talked about it like one year and a half ago, and obviously your opinion changed about it. How come?
25.12.2009 - 00:27
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.12.2009 at 19:09

How ironic, since you did a review for Impetuous Ritual and they [together with Portal] TOTALLY sound like they are in another room
____

I agree with Lucas, this kind of music needs imagination. For some people it sounds like they are in the other room, from me it sounds like they were playing in a fucking creepy cave in the middle of a storm, wtih no lights... worshiping their gods in the most eerie way possible.

I really liked this demo and I have to thank Lucas for showing me this stuff. For those who want to hear Eerie music, lsiten to this stuff alone at 2AM, it's really fucked up. The second track actually maded me jump a lot of times.

Oh, and the vocals... Brilliant, beautifully disturbing. Great review Lucas, it deserved a good one.

Hey, I was making an observation, not criticizing. After hearing this album one time, what else can I really say?
25.12.2009 - 00:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by jupitreas on 25.12.2009 at 00:27

Hey, I was making an observation, not criticizing. After hearing this album one time, what else can I really say?

It's ok, I was making an observation too! It's not like I was criticizing you I just thought that one can actually put more words about the subject, specially if you did a review of another noisy band, that is all.
Soooo... The album is noisy as hell, but did you like it?

It's strange for me... I *think* I like it but I'm not sure why. I guess that I can relate the madness of the cd with visions of my own, that's the only why I can like stuff so... "unmusical"[?]
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.12.2009 - 00:37
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.12.2009 at 00:34

Written by jupitreas on 25.12.2009 at 00:27

It's ok, I was making an observation too! I didn't want to make fun of you
Soooo... The album is noisy as hell, but did you like it?

It's strange for me... I *think* I like it but I'm not sure why

Based on my limited exposure to this album, I'd say it is an interesting and overall successful experiment marred by some issues of songwriting. Yeah, I know its experimental and all but that doesn't mean it has to drag or be boring. In other words, I think its good but could be better at what it is trying to achieve.
25.12.2009 - 00:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by jupitreas on 25.12.2009 at 00:37

I think its good but could be better at what it is trying to achieve.

Yeah, I agree with what you wrote. Even though this music has to be noisy, there are unfortunately still some good ideas that are difficult to appreciat because of the production. So imho I'd say that Lucas praised the album a *little* too much. Although I don't care about numbers anymore.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.12.2009 - 01:15
ß
Problem?
Great release, I'm glad to see that someone reviewed it
----
My music blog - Updated regularly.
To live is to think - Cicero
25.12.2009 - 01:41
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
A review on an album that nobody can find? That is bothersome.
----
Coldgrits
25.12.2009 - 03:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by -DC-002- on 25.12.2009 at 01:41

It's not that hard to find on the internet to download, I PM you with a link if you want.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.12.2009 - 04:43
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
When Lucas gives such a vote in his review it means I have to try it. but there is question for me, what is that jewish thing about? (the holder of the flames). in this photo of the artwork you cant see it but take a look at here:

what is the relations btw judas and this? I mean if this is a jewish band or not?
25.12.2009 - 05:05
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.12.2009 at 03:07

Written by -DC-002- on 25.12.2009 at 01:41

It's not that hard to find on the internet to download, I PM you with a link if you want.

Would ya kindly?
----
Coldgrits
25.12.2009 - 05:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Baz Anderson on 24.12.2009 at 17:17

same here, but I can here drums in the second sound (dont remember if there were some in the fisrt one and I use my laptop but still hear the drums!) but I think as a Demo its production is nice.
25.12.2009 - 05:32
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Quote:
...largely improvised due to their chaotic, sloppy nature and their inconsistent appearances...

I think that this sums up the music pretty well. My first impressions aren't that of the fantastic or macabre. Trust me, I love Gothic literature and architecture, angelic ghouls, and the grotesque and arabesque, if you will, but this music doesn't really embody that for me. Sure it's eerie and a bit creepy, and there are some strange sounds, but that's about it. If they're trying to be artistic and avant-garde for the sake of it, I'd say sure, I guess they succeed. But beyond that, I feel like it's just a blob of noise thrown together, albeit in a mildly interesting way, but one that shouldn't be paraded as brilliant. Maybe it would work better as the soundtrack for a '30s horror film. I think sometimes though, it's just the cult nature of things that draw people in, regardless if it has any quality whatsoever. I mean, just look at Jim Jones!
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.12.2009 - 06:15
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Clintagräm on 25.12.2009 at 05:32

Quote:
...largely improvised due to their chaotic, sloppy nature and their inconsistent appearances...

I think that this sums up the music pretty well. My first impressions aren't that of the fantastic or macabre. Trust me, I love Gothic literature and architecture, angelic ghouls, and the grotesque and arabesque, if you will, but this music doesn't really embody that for me. Sure it's eerie and a bit creepy, and there are some strange sounds, but that's about it. If they're trying to be artistic and avant-garde for the sake of it, I'd say sure, I guess they succeed. But beyond that, I feel like it's just a blob of noise thrown together, albeit in a mildly interesting way, but one that shouldn't be paraded as brilliant. Maybe it would work better as the soundtrack for a '30s horror film. I think sometimes though, it's just the cult nature of things that draw people in, regardless if it has any quality whatsoever. I mean, just look at Jim Jones!

a question, how much rounds did you hear this album? 1? 2? 3? how much?

I think for metal music and specially for such a weird music you have to be patience and you have to listen it over and over. then you can say you liked or not and ...
25.12.2009 - 06:38
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by Guest on 25.12.2009 at 06:15

a question, how much rounds did you hear this album? 1? 2? 3? how much?

I think for metal music and specially for such a weird music you have to be patience and you have to listen it over and over. then you can say you liked or not and ...

Those were just my first impressions, so just once. I do agree that music takes time to enjoy and I respect my fellow 'stormers opinions so whenever I find myself with extra time, I may be tempted to visit this band again.
----
The force will be with you, always.
25.12.2009 - 12:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Ilham on 25.12.2009 at 00:09

So why did you review this album Lucas? We talked about it like one year and a half ago, and obviously your opinion changed about it. How come?

As far as I remember, I never disliked this album... ?
----

25.12.2009 - 12:25
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Written by Clintagräm on 25.12.2009 at 05:32

Quote:

I have no idea who Jim Jones is.

I fully realize that RiM is of 'not-for-everyone' nature, as pretentious as it may sound. I don't mean it to be pretentious anyway. I have listened to this album many, many times. I can by now safely say that the lack of songwriting (or the bad songwriting, whichever) to me strengthens the overall sound. Actually, every once in a while I really crave deconstructed music, you know?

It's a matter of being captured or not, I guess. If you are, it's brilliant (or at least, great) but if it can't transcend 'sound' for you, yeah, then it's quite a terrible release. Once again, not trying to be pretentious here, for example Beyond Black Void is absolutely meaningless noise to me while others think it's brilliantly oppressive.

Opinions, opinions, what are you gonna do about them.

@everyone

Thanks for all the comments. I'd recommend you all to check it, it's not that long and easy to find as download anyway.
----

Hits total: 9593 | This month: 14