03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 15 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
17.10.2012 - 21:30
Vombatus
Potorro
Unremarkable.... I always thought their debut was average stuff, but this one is just dull. One of the only positive things of the band was the somewhat cool guitar work, but on this one it's just boring as hell... plus the orchestration abuse kills it.
17.10.2012 - 21:59
Slayer666
I have to listen to this ASAP, so I know just what I'm hating on.
17.10.2012 - 22:29
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Warman on 17.10.2012 at 18:08

BTW, for example, the first Ensiferum album? Not that awesome if you ask me. Old finnish dude, standing in a boat.

Väinämöinen. At least it's an obvious thematical reference.
17.10.2012 - 22:33
blindg
Written by Until the End on 17.10.2012 at 19:43

Quoted from facebook;

Quote:
"There are many albums less than 40 minutes with much less "stuff" in them. There are albums with only 1 or 2 songs. So I think criticism that it´s too short is a bit unfair. And if "When Time Fades Away" and "Darkness and Frost" isn´t your cup of tea, I can understand that, but for me they are one of the highlights in my life. But also think of it this way, soon you´ll get another 40 minutes and it will contain 7 guitar solos. So I hope you enjoy TIME I what it is and not what it isn´t. Thanks for all the great compliments though! Warms my frozen heart! -Jari"

He didn't mention how many instrumental non-songs will be on Time II.
18.10.2012 - 00:21
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Slayer666 on 17.10.2012 at 21:59

I have to listen to this ASAP, so I know just what I'm hating on.

Pretty much
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
18.10.2012 - 02:46
crucifiedjesus
Over Produced!
18.10.2012 - 06:26
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
This album is glorious. I haven't waited quite as long as most other people (I heard about Wintersun almost 2 years ago), but this album definitely exceeded my expectations and is my personal album of the year (only behind Beyond The Bridge's debut, that album is just fucking beautiful)! Amazing stuff, looking forward to Part 2.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
18.10.2012 - 12:10
Rating: 10
Aw Yiss
I agree with all critics saying this album is less technical, lacks awesome solos and riffs that the debut had. But that doesn't make Time 1 less than a majestic and immeasurably epic journey of mind.
It depends on what were you expecting; fast and aggressive stuff OR epic compositions. Maybe if this wasn't split into 2 parts we would have both.
18.10.2012 - 13:59
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Aw Yiss on 18.10.2012 at 12:10

It depends on what were you expecting

i expected memorable stuff...i got random tunes, that i forgot as soon as they stopped playing...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.10.2012 - 15:42
Rating: 7
Qube
Nice but short
18.10.2012 - 16:16
Rating: 3
essbee
Jari's harsh and clean vocals are probably the main reason I might come back and listen to this album sometimes. The 2 instrumentals were the best songs for me lol. "Time" wasn't too bad either.
18.10.2012 - 17:13
Rulatore
I heard that this leaked version that came out before the stream might not be the final mix. People are saying that you clearly notice the difference just by hearing the streaming in their site (I didnt listen to it yet), so, for the people that didnt like the mix, might need to hear it again when it will be officialy out.
18.10.2012 - 19:33
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Rulatore on 18.10.2012 at 17:13

I heard that this leaked version that came out before the stream might not be the final mix. People are saying that you clearly notice the difference just by hearing the streaming in their site (I didnt listen to it yet), so, for the people that didnt like the mix, might need to hear it again when it will be officialy out.

The sound levels fluctuate in the stream, which would indicate 192kbps based on some comments about the leak.
18.10.2012 - 20:16
Rulatore
Written by Risto on 18.10.2012 at 19:33

Written by Rulatore on 18.10.2012 at 17:13

The sound levels fluctuate in the stream, which would indicate 192kbps based on some comments about the leak.

Well.. I dont know if they were refering about the quality of the rip (and I think that's not the case since the 320kbps seemed to be legit), but the MIX, the sound of the album. Maybe this rip that came before is a promo that wasn't really the final version of the thing.
18.10.2012 - 22:01
EmeraldSword
Good album.

I just wish it was released a few years back. In terms of production I wasn't blown away with the catch guitar riff melodies of the first one. It's harder to appreciate this album with all the drama attached to this from Jari just to finally release it in two parts. But I'll get over that. I can see the oriental influences in the intro song. It's quite nice and very different for Wintersun. I like ambient artists like Kitaro, so I digged "When Time Fades Away".

Kinda agreeing with the comments from others in this thread about the first impression. I like orchestration, but I agree it has to be used carefully and placed strategically. When orchestration dominates the whole album, I get frustrated that the guitar work is drowned out. I remember last year when Dragonland was released... there was a little hype into releasing the album. Dragonland's previous work had epic guitar solos that soared with a theater atmosphere and when I listened to "Under the Grey Banner" I was disappointed and let down. I couldn't hear Olof's signature sound at all, except scarce brief placed parts in a song or two. I liked the narrative and continuation of their Dragonland Chronicle trilogy, but wanted less overloaded orchestration and more Olof epic guitar work.

C'est la vie!

I've got a feeling the album concept will feel whole and complete once I listen to Time II. I'll try to keep an open mind when Time II is released next year.
18.10.2012 - 23:01
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Ellrohir on 18.10.2012 at 13:59

i expected memorable stuff...i got random tunes, that i forgot as soon as they stopped playing...

Sounds like a cranial problem to me.
18.10.2012 - 23:22
jp
Sounds like some sort of Rhapsody EP..
Only on this album the trumpets sound really fake, and the trumpets can do superfast solo's.. which is impossible.

I have trouble even calling this metal. I don't hear the lead guitar at all. I only hear orchestra's and choirs.
I hate it when orchestra's and choirs are louder than the guitar(s).

I'm constantly hearing a synthesizer. I never hear just some guitars that are great enough to make a great song.

At 2:36 in the third song (Sons of winter and stars) I thought for 20 seconds:"Yeah!! Here comes the...... WTF is this??" at 2:56
Who also thought this?

Furthermore.
The album doesn't have very many catchy recurring melodies.
And the album is too short.
19.10.2012 - 00:31
Rating: 6
Druss
Like has been said before, synth is way, WAY too heavily used, guitars are somewhere in the back calling out for help, and nothing really catches with me....I've heard this sort of stuff before (not exactly, obviously), its nothing mindblowingly original. I think its pretty good, if I had it on as background music for gaming, it'd work nicely ( especially as a good slice of it, especially the instrumentals, sounds almost like a soundtrack to something), but as something to listen to on the mp3, or on the computer while I'm at something else....I don't think so. Somewhere in the region of 7/10 for me.
19.10.2012 - 00:40
wormdrink414
Elite
Written by Druss on 19.10.2012 at 00:31

Like has been said before, synth is way, WAY too heavily used...

Agree. The whole thing sounds like the cover looks.

Still play their first album every now and then, but definitely can't see myself choosing to listen to this again in the future... like, ever.
19.10.2012 - 00:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
I bet this shit sounds awesome in good quality and with headphones on...oh and I dont know why everyone is complaining about the orchestrations. As far as I understand that was the point with this release and the more guitar driven songs will be on Time II. ie "The Way of the Fire" which in itself has one of the most ridiculous and long solos Ive heard - and that was in poor quality!
19.10.2012 - 02:17
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Finally for fuck sakes, this is awesome like the 2004 album
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
19.10.2012 - 02:52
Vermoorden
Passes the 2004 release, easy. I nearly cried when I heard the first song kick in. Yes, I am a huge wintersun fanboy. But my expectations were through the roof, and its every bit as good as I was expecting
19.10.2012 - 03:08
iMorphball
Lived up the hype, and I can understand why he needed so much RAM.
19.10.2012 - 08:17
Wes
Written by Vermoorden on 19.10.2012 at 02:52

Passes the 2004 release, easy. I nearly cried when I heard the first song kick in. Yes, I am a huge wintersun fanboy. But my expectations were through the roof, and its every bit as good as I was expecting

I feel you man! I actually did cry upon hearing the first song (first song I heard was Time, right after Darkness and Frost), and many other times as well. I'm so happy it's finally here, or at least half of it. Truly beautiful music.
19.10.2012 - 09:14
kaspair
Best music I've ever heard.
----
Last FM
19.10.2012 - 09:27
Soulhole
Don't care what anyone thinks, this is just what I expected from Jari and friends. Great return for Win(ter)suN !!!!
19.10.2012 - 09:59
Death
Written by wormdrink414 on 19.10.2012 at 00:40

Written by Druss on 19.10.2012 at 00:31

Like has been said before, synth is way, WAY too heavily used...

Agree. The whole thing sounds like the cover looks.

Still play their first album every now and then, but definitely can't see myself choosing to listen to this again in the future... like, ever.

This is only the first half of the album. I'm sure you'll give it another round when Time 2 is released.
19.10.2012 - 10:16
PocketMetal
Written by opeth771 on 16.10.2012 at 00:50

This is probably the worst mixing I have heard in an album.... You can barely hear the guitars or drums because they are covered by the orchestrations.... Same thing when it comes to vocals...

I can't believe they even released something like this... It feels like an unfinished project...

That's a shame, because the album REALLY had potential and tons of great ideas.... With a better mix, it could have been the album of the year.

they wanted to pull-off an exact Diablo 3 , if you know what I mean .
19.10.2012 - 10:19
Jari's compositions leave me awestruck - "Time I" makes Nightwish sound like playing MIDI files. Only the intro and the part where the blast beats kick in makes it worth listening.
----
"We are blind to the world within us, waiting to be born"
19.10.2012 - 13:42
StratoDan1990
I don't care what people say about the Orchestrations, no other band sounds like this... the songs are all a fucking masterpiece. Could have done with being a whole album though.. never the less, I am stunned.

Hits total: 164411 | This month: 177