03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 18 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
20.10.2012 - 23:48
Rating: 10
Andreas

I'm not a Wintersun fan (but I might pick up their first album when I see it for ?5 or less), but I love reading this topic.

Also a funny thing: I noticed people acting all pretentious and such about this album. But if the music is so deep, why do so many people rate it 10 as soon as they are able to? Ah well, maybe those people are just way more intelligent than I am

Written by Vasil de Shumen on 20.10.2012 at 18:09

40% Blind Guardian + 40% Rhapsody + 20% symphonic metal standards = BOREDOM

I would actually dig that.

Written by Ahmed Mohamed A on 20.10.2012 at 21:48

The only people who complains about this album are just jealous fanboys who are pissed that their favorite band isn't ranked first in charts!

If there's one thing I've learned from the charts on this website, it would be that it makes people behave like morons like voting down albums that threaten albums they like. People tend to take that list too seriously. And you don't seem to be so careless about it either...
21.10.2012 - 01:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Just tryd it I was expected it to be like this, I dont remeber 1th album so well, I listened it beck in those days , but this was OK,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
21.10.2012 - 01:41
Cemetary Angel

Absolutley loved the album Jari's clean vocals are so much better than on wintersun, shame they didnt adopt the heavier approach i was looking forward too. However they've done an awesome job nonetheless the album grew on me so much especially Sons of Snow and Stars
loved it
21.10.2012 - 13:21
Sojgenske

Written by Dave FC on 20.10.2012 at 20:09

Crimson is much more elaborated music than this. And where could we find a song that is not repeated at least two, three or four times? 98% of the songs are built this way. intro, verse, bridge, chorus, verse, chorus.... bla bla. Mix it thosand ways and you build a song

Written by Guest on 20.10.2012 at 20:43

Yes but Crimson I is an unmitigated masterpiece, whereas this is mush and fluff at best

Written by Nightfall on 20.10.2012 at 21:24

You must be deaf.

I didn't talk about the music itself but more about the reactions like "oh there are only 40 minutes", "oh there are only 5 tracks", "oh there are only 3 songs",... I don't understand these kind of comments.
21.10.2012 - 15:07
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by Dinruth on 20.10.2012 at 18:54

I don't understand that so many people claim that there are only three songs .. why? just because the other two are instrumental? do none of you appreciate classical or baroque music? almost everything from that epoque is instrumental..

Well, I do understand. When I was about to headbang, the album ended! Now seriously, doesn't this album give you a sensation of incomplete, like, making you want more of this stuff? Unlike KOTSK pt1 or 2 from Helloween, this is VEEEERY incomplete to me. Oh yeah, I DID like the instrumental parts (When Time Fades Away became one of my favs).
21.10.2012 - 16:30
Rating: 9
restartmylife

Epic-folk metal this is I think. Nice album with soft instruments sound
21.10.2012 - 16:43
Rating: 5
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Sojgenske on 21.10.2012 at 13:21

I didn't talk about the music itself but more about the reactions like "oh there are only 40 minutes", "oh there are only 5 tracks", "oh there are only 3 songs",... I don't understand these kind of comments.

Well a lot of people here judge albums based on the whole experience of it, length usually isn't that big a factor, though sometimes it can lose and album a point or so. Personally I don't really car, but I can see where these people come from.

It's like paying to go see a really good movie, but it ends after 40 minutes.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.10.2012 - 16:50
Rating: 7
Uldreth

Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.10.2012 at 16:43

Personally I don't really car

But you really bus!
21.10.2012 - 16:52
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Uldreth on 21.10.2012 at 16:50

Written by Boxcar Willy on 21.10.2012 at 16:43

Personally I don't really car

But you really bus!

----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
21.10.2012 - 18:55
Rating: 8
truenoacero

This upsets me, I was waiting for more.
21.10.2012 - 19:14
Hawkk44

Actually worth the 8 year wait. Holy shit.
21.10.2012 - 20:40
Rating: 6
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by truenoacero on 21.10.2012 at 18:55

This upsets me, I was waiting for more.

I agree. Its decent, but its way to thick and it is terribly produced for a professional release. Jari shouldve brought in a co-producer to level things out.

Sons of Winter Stars has interesting parts but as a whole it is just a mess of a song. I do really love Land of Snow and Sorrow and the title track is great as well, but we shouldnt have to wait 8 years to just get 2 great songs..
----
pewpew.. gotcha
21.10.2012 - 20:51
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Compare Jari's intro to Whispered's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLeHUE9DB-U
----
pewpew.. gotcha
21.10.2012 - 23:20
Wes

Written by Hawkk44 on 21.10.2012 at 19:14

Actually worth the 8 year wait. Holy shit.

22.10.2012 - 01:03
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Judging by the disproportionately high ratings for this, I can see no one else found this mind numbingly boring like I did. That's unfortunate.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.10.2012 - 01:15
Death_95

Written by LeChron James on 22.10.2012 at 01:03

Judging by the disproportionately high ratings for this, I can see no one else found this mind numbingly boring like I did. That's unfortunate.

Give it time (no pun intended). I didn't like it at first too.
22.10.2012 - 08:17
Scrawn37

Like everyone, I was highly anticipating this release after their fantastic debut. The three songs here are certainly enjoyable, but what I really loved about their debut was the guitar solos and guitar work in general and that has certainly taken a big step back here. The use of symphony is nice as I happen to be a fan of it but I would have loved to hear some more intense instrumental work. The length of this album is another issue for me. Three songs and two instrumentals as an intro to two of them is not enough, the album therefore does not offer as much variety as the debut. Hopefully Time II will be a more epic experience.
22.10.2012 - 09:34
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Guest on 21.10.2012 at 22:16

Compared. Barely nothing in common.

They are both oriental-influenced symphonic intros by a metal band. Seeing as that is a pretty obscure thing, that is a good amount in common.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
22.10.2012 - 13:21
Varegan
Hamranakara
Millions of layers takes an eterninty for my ears to handle all these mess, urge for perfection's driven them to "obsession for perfection" and the result is overly polished perfection, I'll give it a 10 because they did all these mess for a 10 or maybe a 15.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
22.10.2012 - 15:39
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by LeChron James on 22.10.2012 at 01:03

I can see no one else found this mind numbingly boring like I did.

you must look better, bro

tbh i cant think up any other example of so much over-hyped nothing as this album...i would rate it 6 for objective qualities and then half this number for all the bullshit around...but i only rate albums i have physical copies of them, which is not this case and wont be unless someone gives it to me for free...so you wont see my "3" here
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

22.10.2012 - 15:54
Risto
Wandering Midget
The first three tracks are rather enjoyable stuff but poor production brings the entity down.

Written by Ellrohir on 22.10.2012 at 15:39

i would rate it 6 for objective qualities and then half this number for all the bullshit around...

God forbid
22.10.2012 - 16:13
Hammer Pie

Written by Guest on 19.10.2012 at 22:39

Noise is overproduced. Or not. Is it? What? What's overproduced? It's nothing. This wasn't made for eight years, and anyway Time I & II both took the time and kinda still do.

What the fuck are you babbling about?

Anyway, this album is a perfect example of the fake "symphonic" overpolished bullshit that passes for metal these days.
22.10.2012 - 16:31
Rawand

Perfect By All The Menas But For Sadly There 3 Songs
22.10.2012 - 17:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 17:31

Written by EthicaOdini85 on 22.10.2012 at 13:56

This album does not worth 10 neither a 9 noobs...it deserves max 8.3

No, it deserves something between 9.987 and 9.994. And I am absolutely objective.

great reply.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.10.2012 - 17:49
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Guest on 22.10.2012 at 17:34

Written by Rawand on 22.10.2012 at 16:31

Perfect By All The Menas But For Sadly There 3 Songs

It would have been a clear 2012 album-of-the-year winner if both parts had been released together as one.
nah... I bet it would have been too long for it's own good
----
loves 小巫
22.10.2012 - 17:49
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Ah good, this is off the top 200 charts now.
22.10.2012 - 18:26
Windir

I love the first album, but hey what's going on here? it smells like money, in fact it stinks!
"...we have thousands of fans waiting for our second album, they're just going to pay... but there's a problem we only have 60 minutes of music. That's not a problem at all, we just have to extend the intros, outros and maybe repeat some riffs here and there and voilà 80 to 85 minutes of epicness (or pseudoepicness)" and guess what it doesn't fit on a regular cd, what a surprise! "let's release 2 cds"
Have you noticed the amount of different editions? regular cd, cd/dvd, 2cd/dvd, cd/dvd + autographed photo, etc. For my part I think I'll buy the ultra limited edition including the black chinese costume that the members wear... By the way 80 min do fit on a regular audio cd. A certain musician said: "...anyway it would be too long to listen to that kind of music for 80+ minutes" what kind of crap is that?! we listen to the music we love for several years and we always want more. The problem is not the length, a masterpiece can be 30, 40 or 70 minutes long, it doesn't matter! the problem here are the stupid arguments...
Musically is an 8 for me, but I have the overall impression, like many others, that it's an incomplete product.
22.10.2012 - 19:05
moe5512

Written by Windir on 22.10.2012 at 18:26

I love the first album, but hey what's going on here? it smells like money, in fact it stinks!
"...we have thousands of fans waiting for our second album, they're just going to pay... but there's a problem we only have 60 minutes of music. That's not a problem at all, we just have to extend the intros, outros and maybe repeat some riffs here and there and voilà 80 to 85 minutes of epicness (or pseudoepicness)" and guess what it doesn't fit on a regular cd, what a surprise! "let's release 2 cds"
Have you noticed the amount of different editions? regular cd, cd/dvd, 2cd/dvd, cd/dvd + autographed photo, etc. For my part I think I'll buy the ultra limited edition including the black chinese costume that the members wear... By the way 80 min do fit on a regular audio cd. A certain musician said: "...anyway it would be too long to listen to that kind of music for 80+ minutes" what kind of crap is that?! we listen to the music we love for several years and we always want more. The problem is not the length, a masterpiece can be 30, 40 or 70 minutes long, it doesn't matter! the problem here are the stupid arguments...
Musically is an 8 for me, but I have the overall impression, like many others, that it's an incomplete product.

Well said!
22.10.2012 - 20:03
Arcesse Eum

40% Blind Guardian's 'Night at the Opera' + 40% Dimmu Borgir 'Deathcult Apocalypse' + 20% Kalmah's 'The Black Waltz' = Time I

I'm hoping Time II will have some more 'beautiful death'-ish songs.
----
As above, so below.
22.10.2012 - 22:49
Powerslavex
Alexskywalker
Facking epic!! Jari u r something else

Hits total: 164321 | This month: 87