4 - Sons Of Winter And Stars
03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 20 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3626 users
25.10.2012 - 21:15
Rating: 10
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 01:54

Is it true that the version that leaked on Realm of Metal a week before the release is actually not the finished version? Like the production isn't fully done on it?

no
25.10.2012 - 21:55
Rating: 8
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
Written by Svneatr on 24.10.2012 at 15:58

Really enjoyed this album. It pushed all the right buttons for me. Interesting how an album can sound so cheesy and yet so original.

I totally agree.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
25.10.2012 - 22:23
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2012 at 01:13

Nowadays it seems to be a sin to have a strong opinion on music. People rather lap up everything presented to them by the hype machines of especially Nuclear Blast, Century Media and also those followers i the record industry

Just because you don't like something and think it's something for people to "lap up" doesn't mean it's not OK for someone else to like that thing and enjoy it.
25.10.2012 - 22:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 22:23

Nowadays it seems to be a sin to have a strong opinion on music. People rather lap up everything presented to them by the hype machines of especially Nuclear Blast, Century Media and also those followers i the record industry

Just because you don't like something and think it's something for people to "lap up" doesn't mean it's not OK for someone else to like that thing and enjoy it.

You are right about that, but Marcel's first point is still 100% true. Most people seem to have problems with those who have no qualms having a strong opinion about music and express it even if it's in a respectful manner.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2012 - 22:29
JÄY
Metal slave

Shopped me a cover made from the rear booklet cover
25.10.2012 - 22:30
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Less awful than the original one, but that doesn't say much.
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2012 - 22:33
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 22:23

Mr. Doctor quoted you with what I wanted to reply to you.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.10.2012 - 22:36
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.10.2012 at 22:29

You are right about that, but Marcel's first point is still 100% true. Most people seem to have problems with those who have no qualms having a strong opinion about music and express it even if it's in a respectful manner.

Well, I've sat and watched these forums (the album forum and the Time I review) and I've seen both sides be pretty disrespectful. It's all really pot calling the kettle black to me. Wintersun fans getting butt hurt over negative comments and staff members trolling to forums to call music "sugary" and etc. just to piss off fans - it's all the same. Marcel and several others just don't like Wintersun, and that's fine, but does everyone really need to argue back and forth? It's kind of silly, on the part of both sides, and it makes it hard to filter through all the crap to find posts from people who actually want to have a civil discussion.
25.10.2012 - 22:41
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 22:36
Well, I've sat and watched these forums (the album forum and the Time I review) and I've seen both sides be pretty disrespectful. It's all really pot calling the kettle black to me. Wintersun fans getting butt hurt over negative comments and staff members trolling to forums to call music "sugary" and etc. just to piss off fans - it's all the same. Marcel and several others just don't like Wintersun, and that's fine, but does everyone really need to argue back and forth? It's kind of silly, on the part of both sides, and it makes it hard to filter through all the crap to find posts from people who actually want to have a civil discussion.

I don't want to toot my own horn but I think my (and I believe many others) reaction in the review thread are a mere answer to those who insult the reviewer or anyone who says "man I did not like this".
If someone is being disrespectful and calling me deaf just because I don't happen to like the band and go out in their way to look at my or others profiles jsut to create some kind of point in why we are deaf... Then it's pretty obvious I won't use sweet words (although I never insulted anyone... but calling someone on their shit is still fine in my book)
----
Rod, let me love you.
25.10.2012 - 22:45
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 25.10.2012 at 22:41

If someone is being disrespectful and calling me deaf just because I don't happen to like the band and go out in their way to look at my or others profiles jsut to create some kind of point in why we are deaf... Then it's pretty obvious I won't use sweet words (although I never insulted anyone... but calling someone on their shit is still fine in my book)

No reason to stoop down to other users' levels though.
25.10.2012 - 22:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 22:45
No reason to stoop down to other users' levels though.

I don't need to use their language nor insults. I just use logic which I don't think it's "sinking to their level"!

People could accuse me of being slightly arrogant though! That's valid... but not disrespectful.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.10.2012 - 10:23
LichBorne

Not bad album, but I dont think that anyone waited for 4 years for just 3 songs... I realy hope that TIME II is going to be something more. and I hope it will be released soon.
26.10.2012 - 13:05
IronAngel

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.10.2012 at 00:30

I love it how people here find negative points with the album and still rate it a 10. Hahahahaha

A 10 means perfect, so if you have criticism on the album, any album for that matter, you cannot rate it 10 because it is NOT perfect.

I don't know about that. The few albums I'd give a full score to (I think it's about 5-10) are usually not perfect. There are several perfect albums I'd only rate 4,5/5, whereas I can name several flaws in my absolutely favorite, 5-star desert island albums. In my rating system anyway, full score has to resonate on some irrational personal level. And usually that means the album is flawed, but it manages to turn those flaws into endearing strengths of personality. Being flawless isn't enough to be a desert island album, IMO.

But that may be beside the point. I agree that people overrate and don't value 10/10 (or 5/5 as I'm used to) as highly as I think they should. I don't think you even can rate an album so high after only a month of listening. You need to see how it matures. As with any relationship, you'll only know if they last after the period of infatuation.
26.10.2012 - 17:54
Zap
Written by IronAngel on 26.10.2012 at 13:05

I don't think you even can rate an album so high after only a month of listening. You need to see how it matures. As with any relationship, you'll only know if they last after the period of infatuation.

I completely agree with this. If I'd rate an album ten it means that I love it, but that my opinion of it doesn't change over time.
27.10.2012 - 01:32
Crème fraiche

Short but good! I'm diggin it.
30.10.2012 - 13:33
Rating: 6
Vasil de Shumen

I don't understand - what is delightful in this band. Ordinary northern melodical power ... and nothing more : 40% Blind Guardian + 40% Rhapsody + 20% symphonic metal standards = BOREDOM
30.10.2012 - 19:44
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

Love the Asian influence in this record. Very hip.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
31.10.2012 - 03:19
ScnD361

Sons of Winter and Stars is the song of the year!
31.10.2012 - 04:21
Rating: 7
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by JÄY on 25.10.2012 at 22:29

Shopped me a cover made from the rear booklet cover

Looks much better tbh.
01.11.2012 - 08:41
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 30.10.2012 at 13:33

I don't understand - what is delightful in this band. Ordinary northern melodical power ... and nothing more : 40% Blind Guardian + 40% Rhapsody + 20% symphonic metal standards = BOREDOM

they are really not too much like BL and Rhapsody, much more similar to extreme power and folk... and anyway this album is not too great but if you listen to their debut it could hardly be called ordinary.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
01.11.2012 - 10:12
Vasil de Shumen

Written by AngelofDeth on 01.11.2012 at 08:41

they are really not too much like BL and Rhapsody, much more similar to extreme power and folk... and anyway this album is not too great but if you listen to their debut it could hardly be called ordinary.

Their debut album is a little better, but I still say that Wintersun is very overrated in MetalStorm.
01.11.2012 - 10:18
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Vasil de Shumen on 01.11.2012 at 10:12

Their debut album is a little better, but I still say that Wintersun is very overrated in MetalStorm.

Not only here But they seem way more overrated here than anywhere else
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.11.2012 - 10:23
Vasil de Shumen

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2012 at 10:18

It's true
05.11.2012 - 22:42
JÄY
Metal slave
When I first heard it, i gave it a 10.... then a 9 and then an 8... then back up to 9 and I think it'll stay there. From a more oblective stand-point, I would rate it less less, but, i dunno, i just love it.....
06.11.2012 - 08:07
Masa

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.11.2012 at 10:18

This album blows, but I do think that the first one was amazing regardless of them being overrated.
09.11.2012 - 04:04
VerusVaga

Perfect
09.11.2012 - 14:18
Rating: 8
The Melting Snow

The album is good, but i've never understood all the hype surrounding Wintersun :/

I've gone back to their music a number of times after seeing the comments/ratings of people, but nothing strikes as too awesome or worth remembering...
09.11.2012 - 16:26
Fritillaria
Account deleted
This album sounded to me so average specially the chorus parts,I don't feel there is anything special in this album the musicians just used the same old cliches of writing epic metal music nothing more yet there are some symphony parts that add up some taste and spice to the routine recipe but totally it didn't really sounded a kind of a new stuff to enjoy
09.11.2012 - 16:36
Rating: 9
Risto
Wandering Midget
Not sure how conscious the Devin Townsend stuff in the chorus of "Time" is but the similarity in thematics and spelling is quite striking.

09.11.2012 - 18:47
Fritillaria
Account deleted

+1

Hits total: 164207 | This month: 268