03. Land Of Snow And Sorrow
04. Darkness And Frost
05. Time

The biggest surprise of 2012
Top 20 albums of 2012: 20

Additional info
Formats:
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Instrumental CD of Time I, Certificate (limited to 500 copies, exclusively available at Nuclear Blast)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Signed photo card Jari Mäenpää (limited to 1000 copies, exclusively available at Amazon.de)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Wintersun logo shirt gray/black (exclusively available at Levykauppa Äx)
  • Limited Mediabook (hard cover, wide format) CD+DVD + Shirt (black) (EMP exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case + Shirt (Nuclear Blast USA exclusive)
  • CD Jewel Case
  • Blue vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster)
  • White vinyl (180g vinyl in gatefold including poster. Strictly limited to 200 hand-numbered copies) (exclusive at Nuclear Blast mailorder)
  • Digital download
  • iTunes digital download with Time I booklet

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
One of the most highly anticipated albums of the last decade; Time I finally ends the eight year silence, but was the wait worth it?

Read more ››
published 22.10.2012 | Comments (220)

Guest review by
Bad English
Rating:
Wintersun - is it real? Well, no, it isn't. We hardly see the sun; for four whole weeks, it never shines.

Allow me to copy the style of DerRozzengarten (the greatest reviewer ever), who knows how to write proper metaphors. Such music is never meant to explain northern life for people who have never actually walked on a frozen river or cleared snow from their car before work (I'm not taking a jab at the French, Dutch, or Danish, who usually overreact when they see 1 cm of snow). Imagine the pre-internet days: it's blizzard beasts, mid-winter, the sun never shines, just 22 hours of darkness and twilight in between. There is nothing to do, only good music, books, or finding a way to channel your creativity. Outside activities, aside from collecting firewood and cleaning snow? I don't think so (but wait a minute, Jari lives in the city anyway?). Anyway, the streets are dead and frozen, the horizon is dark, and night light is ablaze on the snow. All you can do is wait for spring and then summer to arrive slowly. I've done it all my life, still do, and we all did. It's typical northern madness!

Read more ››
published 20.12.2016 | Comments (10)

Found in 97 lists
Top lists

Comments page 4 / 24

Comments: 712   Visited by: 3631 users
14.09.2010 - 10:57
vezzy
Stallmanite
I find it ironic how metal stereotypes are actually present in the very people who listen to the damn music. (or at least close to it) Doom isn't my cup of tea, but I'm fond of Saint Vitus, Trouble, Pentagram, Candlemass, Electric Wizard and Pagan Altar, just to name a few.

Wintersun are a cheesy and boring band, hell, sometimes, they sound like 16-bit music. But then again, CoB's the new trend, so it's only fair this will get recognition.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
15.09.2010 - 01:18
bluemobiusx
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.09.2010 at 08:34

Written by Guest on 14.09.2010 at 07:33

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.09.2010 at 02:52

@tornado maybe because of the way hw lots of people seem to rave about it as if were the second coming of Christ although the music is run of the mill generic power metal influenced by so-called melodic death metal whch is actually Gothenburg metal?

You just don't like Wintersun because the songs are not 20 beats per minute with the same slow dirge riff over and over with horrible out of tune vocals on top of it. Sorry, not everyone's favorite album is going to be some lame doom album.

I not only like doom, but also love death metal, thrash metal, grindcore, black metal, true melodic death metal, US power metal, heavy metal. So before spouting off nonsense, you'd better check up on someone's musical preferences. Yes my favourite genre is doom. But a a lot of doom is a lot faster than you think. But then again how would you know, the only doom you probably know is the well established stuff such as My Dying Bride (who btw, played a lotof the time on their first album a lot faster than Wintersun) and Candlemass and Swallow The Sun, who all btw never play at 20 beats per minute. And since when are Candlemass' vocals and MDB's and Warning's and Saint Vitus' and, and and out of tune? And Wintersun's are good? Please don't make me laugh.

I also enjoy every metal genre. All I'm trying to point out is that any metalhead can find something to gripe about when it comes to bands in genres they don't enjoy. Just because Wintersun isn't your cup of tea doesn't mean it can't be thousands of others'. I don't like onions, but I don't go into the local grocery store and complain about how awful onions taste. Millions of others love the things. I think they taste awful...they make me gag, but those who are enjoy them should. Let those who enjoy Wintersun enjoy the band. Listen to what you like and get on your merry way. And really, why would you even want to associate yourself with a topic about a band you don't like? And you are right, I don't know many doom bands. I have Paradise Lost's Gothic album, Swallow The Sun's latest album, Empyrium's second album, an album called Towards Darkness by a band that was called The Mass. I enjoy those very much. I just think it's easy to pick out things you don't like and call them cheesy, or boring, or ripoff, or cookie cutter, or generic, or uninspired, or a bunch of other pretentious phrases metal elitists use. It's funny that most often people use these for genres or subgenres they don't enjoy. If you hated grape soda, would you buy Grape Fanta and complain then try Grape Sunkist and complain again and say it isn't as good as your favorite cream soda? Metalheads are always comparing apples to oranges.
15.09.2010 - 01:30
Vunts

I don't mind the type of music that Wintersun play, I like some songs on their album as well, but I have never gotten around to understand why they are hyped so much. They don't do anything unique. They haven't reinvented any genres, their musicianship isn't on unheard levels, they are just another band, who can play songs that don't annoy me. Of which there are many. Yet, for some reason I still listen to other bands before Wintersun, and the only reason why I'm looking forward to this release, is because it reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever.
15.09.2010 - 03:37
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
But DNF is coming out.
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
15.09.2010 - 12:16
Vunts

Oh I see what you did there!
15.09.2010 - 12:28
vezzy
Stallmanite
Actually, it is. Now that Gearbox Software has acquired it.
----
15.09.2010 - 23:11
Vunts

Yea, I knew about that, I wasn't saying that he was bullshitting or anything like that. I was just comparing those two titles, because both of them have been in development for a long time.
18.09.2010 - 14:00
Rating: 8
Tornado Of Souls

Written by Vunts on 15.09.2010 at 01:30

I don't mind the type of music that Wintersun play, I like some songs on their album as well, but I have never gotten around to understand why they are hyped so much. They don't do anything unique. They haven't reinvented any genres, their musicianship isn't on unheard levels, they are just another band, who can play songs that don't annoy me. Of which there are many. Yet, for some reason I still listen to other bands before Wintersun, and the only reason why I'm looking forward to this release, is because it reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever.

Actually i cant really think of one band that sounds that similar to Wintersun, people say Children Of Bodom sounds like them but to me there is little or no comparison between them.
27.09.2010 - 12:48
Divine Heresy

How do 7 people have this album???? Explain!
27.09.2010 - 13:41
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Divine Heresy on 27.09.2010 at 12:48

Easy. You simply add it manually to your album collection.
----
28.09.2010 - 09:09
bluegreengod
Account deleted
When my blender breaks, i drink my fucking margarita on the rocks. C'mon guys, lets just release this album already. Figure it out.
06.10.2010 - 04:17
Ragout

Written by Guest on 08.03.2010 at 01:16

Written by abysss on 08.03.2010 at 00:55

I've just seen the realease has been set to 31.12. 2010, Yay!!

/sarcasm off

it's not the standard release date,metalstorm sets all the albums with unknown release date at 31/12

Aww, I was so happy to read that the album would be release before the end of the year, and now you say that it's a fake release date. Also I read a lot of the comments and I really don't understand why people are so extreme about this subject.

There are, on one side, people who are, like you said, irrationals fan boys, and on the other side there are internet haters. Personally I really like Wintersun, and to be honest, it's one of the few bands that gives me chills, along with Ensiferum and Streetlight Manifesto ( Yeah I really like Ska more than Metal, sorry 'bout that ). I don't think it's << THE BEST BAND EVAAAAAAAARRRRRAWR !!! >> but it's really not crap or overrated IMHO.

I would suggest just to stop speculate and wait for it, simply. That way, it'll be awesome .
06.10.2010 - 13:04
Divine Heresy

Written by vezzy on 27.09.2010 at 13:41

Written by Divine Heresy on 27.09.2010 at 12:48

Easy. You simply add it manually to your album collection.

Yes I know that, but he has it down as "having it", not a wishlist. That is merely what I am trying to get acrossed
06.10.2010 - 13:37
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Divine Heresy on 06.10.2010 at 13:04
Yes I know that, but he has it down as "having it", not a wishlist. That is merely what I am trying to get acrossed

That's what I'm saying. You can manually add albums to your collection, usually if the band doesn't have a profile here.
----
17.10.2010 - 21:34
Luneth
Account deleted
Oh boy, this is gonna be good....
17.10.2010 - 22:38
Zmaj Ognjeni Vuk
To Mega Therion
^ Cute, isn't he?
----

Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one, and they all stink.
23.10.2010 - 00:36
MacofMetal

Written by Tornado Of Souls on 18.09.2010 at 14:00

Written by Vunts on 15.09.2010 at 01:30

Actually i cant really think of one band that sounds that similar to Wintersun, people say Children Of Bodom sounds like them but to me there is little or no comparison between them.

I think that Wintersun brings a new definition to black metal cause of its perfection and performance. Jari Maenpaa shows a tedious and perfectionist aspect to his recordings.
23.10.2010 - 09:47
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by MacofMetal on 23.10.2010 at 00:36
I think that Wintersun brings a new definition to black metal cause of its perfection and performance. Jari Maenpaa shows a tedious and perfectionist aspect to his recordings.

There's something about that statement that I really don't like.
----
04.11.2010 - 07:15
Lachy
Account deleted
We will all be old dead before this album comes out a swear
04.11.2010 - 07:15
Lachy
Account deleted
We will all be old dead before this album comes out a swear
04.11.2010 - 13:12
RavenKing

Written by MacofMetal on 23.10.2010 at 00:36

You don't know shit about Black Metal if you believe Wintersun has anything to do with it.
Their music has a thousand times more in common with Stratovarius than with Black Metal.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
04.11.2010 - 13:15
Rating: 10
ashadows92iq

Wtf 2011 I'm gonna hate this band
05.11.2010 - 14:04
Vengeance Time

Been waiting forever.Just about to get to the 31/12/2010 release and now it's Dec 2011.This is F...KING BULLSHIT.I'm not following this shit anymore, if I hear on the grapevine sometime in the future Wintersun have a new slab out ,I'll check it out.I really feel like saying F...K 'EM but I Know that would be a bullshit statement 'cause when and if it finally comes out I'm gonna want to hear it.
----
THE VENOM TEARS MY SPINE
05.11.2010 - 17:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
*resists temptation to change it to 2019*
05.11.2010 - 17:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
*resists temptation to delete it*
08.11.2010 - 10:13
Destructhor

Whatta F**K DEC 2011?!?!?!
08.11.2010 - 14:08
RavenKing

If it carries on like that, Wintersun will finally take a break as long as Celtic Frost did between "Vanity/Nemesis" and "Monotheist".

Difference is Celtic Frost were officially not active anymore. It reached a point at which it's totally ridiculous and I can't take this band seriously because all we hear is excuses and the album being postponed year after year.
Not that I'm waiting for it anyway. The first (and only) album was good, no more. Quite decent but also quite overrated by metalheads in general.
----
08.11.2010 - 15:26
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Guest on 05.11.2010 at 17:48

*resists temptation to change it to 2019*

I'll just do it on April 1st next year.
----
08.11.2010 - 20:03
Rating: 8
Tornado Of Souls

I don't know why people think its been postponed again its just because they haven't given a release date metal storm just puts it at the end of the year till they hear the official release date. In any case i don't blame Jari for taking his time he has said he doesn't want to compromise his vision of what it should sound like to get it out fast on his facebook recently he has said the orchestrations may be finished by Christmas.
08.11.2010 - 21:15
RavenKing

Written by Tornado Of Souls on 08.11.2010 at 20:03

I don't know why people think its been postponed again its just because they haven't given a release date metal storm just puts it at the end of the year till they hear the official release date. In any case i don't blame Jari for taking his time he has said he doesn't want to compromise his vision of what it should sound like to get it out fast on his facebook recently he has said the orchestrations may be finished by Christmas.

Well, there's a difference between taking your time and spending an eternity without releasing anything.
I have nothing against taking the time needed to release good material (not rushing releases) but come on, 7 years is way too much. That is, if the album is released in 2011. I would not be surprised at all if it doesn't see the light of day in 2011.
----

Hits total: 164345 | This month: 111