10. Tidal Tantrum
11. Tongues
12. The Mind's Eye
13. Razonfever [Deluxe edition bonus]
14. Shadowlit Façade [Deluxe edition bonus]
15. Archetype [Deluxe edition bonus]
+ Zodijackyl Light [video] [Deluxe edition bonus]
+ Hedon [video] [Deluxe edition bonus]

After an album called The Gallery, which has been defined the mere masterpiece of this band and of the entire Gothenburg scene by a lot of critics and reviewers, one of the greatest bands ever returned with a new album. The title has two meanings if we think about the words in another way: The I of the Mind / I Am the Mind. The CD cover is strange: there are pieces of animals, plants, blood,a piece of paper, atoms and obviously the DT logo; all connected to the psychologic subject.

Listening to this album (the most brutal output of this band yet) I immediately thought that darkness has never been so tranquil and tranquillity has never been so dark at the same time in the same album; the CD is full of hidden-meaning and emotions that only with a careful listening can be heard or felt. I noticed a great use of melodic stuff in some songs; an example could be one of the catchiest songs I've ever heard: the mighty Insanity's Crescendo. It blew me away with a duet of growl and female vocals and a fascinating structure in which Sundin's guitar reigns and leads with precision, never disappointing.
There are a lot of futurist, dirty and mysterious elements in songs like Atom Heart 243,5, Still Moving Sinews or Tongues; here we notice the rhythm, the strength. In Constant and Tidal Tantrum leads the despair, however in Zodijackyl Light and Hedon we can feel the fury and the fear. Some songs are really short but they create a catchy atmosphere and an appropriate belonging to the others that gives to the whole album a great fluency.

That's a good album, and for me is a step over The Gallery; check it if you're searching for real emotions from sadness till hate.

Best songs: Zodijackyl Light, Hedon, Insanity's Crescendo, Still Moving Sinews

Written by dark awakening | 29.07.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 170 users
30.07.2006 - 11:44
Rating: 7
dark awakening

I think that the the album deserves the 8 I gave.
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
29.05.2007 - 17:35
Rating: 7
Warman
Erotic Stains
Not good nor bad. I don't get this album, I think most songs are too short and simple. Also I don't think Stanne's vocals are as good as they usually are, at the worst moments the vocals are actually bad (my favourite track on the album is The Mind's Eye, instrumental and that says a lot). And yes, this is one of their heavier albums, maybe I'm more into their melodical stuff? Still there are some songs I really like.
----
05.04.2008 - 01:51
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Not their best work.. i would give it an 8 as well.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
05.04.2008 - 11:16
Rating: 9
BloodTears
ANA-thema
This is one of my favourite DT albums from those years, I think I like it because its so heavy and I was always in love with that part of them. "Hedon" is beautiful as well as "Insanity's crescendo" probably my favourites from this one. But I must say it doesnt have that many memorable songs are other albums.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
11.05.2009 - 19:50
Rating: 8
MeloDeathViking

Yeah, this is just an 8 from me as well, which is still good, but it just doesnt click with me like the other albums do.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
11.05.2009 - 21:13
ms68

Written by BloodTears on 05.04.2008 at 11:16

This is one of my favourite DT albums from those years, I think I like it because its so heavy and I was always in love with that part of them. "Hedon" is beautiful as well as "Insanity's crescendo" probably my favourites from this one. But I must say it doesnt have that many memorable songs are other albums.

i agree. i only listen to those two songs+The mind's eye and sometimes Scythe, Rage and Roses. although it's lowest album by dark tranquillity(IMO in comparison to other albums but it's good) i don't think one can forget The Mind's Eye. it's one of the best instrumental songs i've ever heard.
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
18.08.2009 - 15:05
Rating: 8
Solstafir!

This is their album in which their form dipped a bit (after the brilliant THE GALLERY)...overall most of the songs are good, but not polished enough...don't know why but this is my least favourite album of DT...maybe the production is to blame, I really don't know...
25.04.2018 - 14:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 29.05.2007 at 17:35

Not good nor bad. I don't get this album, I think most songs are too short and simple. Also I don't think Stanne's vocals are as good as they usually are, at the worst moments the vocals are actually bad (my favourite track on the album is The Mind's Eye, instrumental and that says a lot). And yes, this is one of their heavier albums, maybe I'm more into their melodical stuff? Still there are some songs I really like.

I say same, short songs but somehow its boring, its same rhythm, more like punk
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.11.2018 - 05:23
Dark_Zephyr

I also happen to think that this is a good solid album however I do think it is more memorable for its atmosphere than any particular songs on their own. It is kind of weird because as a whole I do think the album is a good one but if asked about my favorite DT songs or asked to recommend any DT songs, I likely wouldn't think to choose any from here. For those who enjoy Gothenburg style metal you can't go wrong but it isn't an essential album by any means either. 8/10 is an accurate score. Very little weaknesses and consistently solid but doesnt blow your mind the way The Gallery, Damage Done, or Character do in my opinon

Hits total: 12373 | This month: 31