17. Blackout
18. No One Like You
19. Six String Sting
20. Big City Nights
21. Can't Get Enough
22. Still Loving You
23. In Trance
24. Bolero
25. Ready To Sting (Appearance Of The Scorpion)
26. Rock You Like A Hurricane

This is an excellent DVD with an excellent performance by a very old and.. yeah.. you get the point, band. Starting with the "Hurricane 2000" intro, then kicking it into full gear with the second part of "Coming Home", this DVD is pretty much a surge of energy by a band that just never stops rocking.
Nearly all albums are represented, and the more mediocre songs serve as breaks from rocking out to possibly some of the greatest German heavy rock ever created. The show was recorded at Wacken Open Air 2006, advertised as a night to remember, and it pretty much looks like it was such a night.

The performance is absolutely killer, same as the sound and video quality. All of these should be, of course, taken for granted when watching a Scorpions concert, and then there's Rudolf's back and forth rocking, James Kottak unleashing his rage on the drum set and providing heartfelt backing vocals and Klaus's tambourine and drumstick throwing number, all show that this band do their job well and enjoy doing it quite a lot.
The DVD also features three of the musicians who have been with Scorpions in the past, namely Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker on guitar and Herman Rarebell on drums.

The first joins the band after a few songs to rock out some of the songs on the albums released in the 70s such as "Pictured Life", "We'll Burn The Sky" or "Speedy's Coming". A few songs later Rudolf's little brother Michael joins the band to play the songs he co-wrote on Lovedrive. Rarebell plays only a few songs, but his appearance does serve more than just giving James Kottak a break, as playing with former band mates always brings about great reminiscences, as i'm pretty sure Klaus says when he introduces him in German.
All past and present band members also join in near the end for a long and atmospheric version of "In Trance", wherein Rudolf puts aside his guitar and does a perfect headstand at age 58.

In all honesty, the only thing i find wrong with this DVD is the fact that Klaus's vocals are a bit moody on the first 2-3 songs, but after he gets warmed up....
All in all this is an extremely good DVD, extremely fun to watch, highly recommended to anyone with even a slight interest in the Scorpions.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: -
Originality: -
Production: 10

Written by Valentin B | 26.12.2009

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 45 users
26.12.2009 - 13:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Gotta disageree with you on the video quality. Or to be more specific the editing. The editing of this dvd is totally horrendous and spoils the watching experience. The editors seem to suffer from adhd. Shots not lasting than 2 seconds. When you hear Mihael, Uli, or whoever soloing they don't focus on the guitarist but on Klaus Meine.
This dvd is best listened to and not watched. So play the dvd and switch of the tv/computer screen and just enjoy it as a live album recording.

I would rate this with a 7 at most due to the abovementioned editing.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2009 - 14:05
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2009 at 13:51

Gotta disageree with you on the video quality. Or to be more specific the editing. The editing of this dvd is totally horrendous and spoils the watching experience. The editors seem to suffer from adhd. Shots not lasting than 2 seconds. When you hear Mihael, Uli, or whoever soloing they don't focus on the guitarist but on Klaus Meine.
This dvd is best listened to and not watched. So play the dvd and switch of the tv/computer screen and just enjoy it as a live album recording.

I would rate this with a 7 at most due to the abovementioned editing.

well i did notice the very fast editing, but only during Coming Home and a bit during Bad Boys Running Wild, and i think there's a point to that, as in to give you some kind of "OMG ITS TEH SCORPIONZZ ON TEH STAGE!!" feeling during the really fast and energic first song. as for the camera not focusing on the one doing the solo, well, they do give him a little more time as i see it, and there's tons of other stuff happening on stage like Klaus throwing drum sticks and dancing or Rudolf being a crazy motherfucker, etc. so i don't really mind, it remains a magical piece of concert footage.

what do you think of them not including "Wind of Change"?
26.12.2009 - 14:08
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 26.12.2009 at 14:05

Thank Fuckign God for that.

Btw, during Bolero also Michael Schaker's son joins them on stage,
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.12.2009 - 14:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.12.2009 at 14:08

Written by Valentin B on 26.12.2009 at 14:05

Thank Fuckign God for that.

Btw, during Bolero also Michael Schaker's son joins them on stage,

i didn't know he's his son.. i thought he was a roadie playing one of his guitars, i thought to myself "playing guitar with Uli Jon Roth, Michael Schenker and Mattias Jabs on stage on one of Michael's guitars, what a lucky bastard"
26.12.2009 - 14:49
Rating: 10
Mountain King
K i K o
I love this DVD! some of the heavy songs are played here like Coming Home, Make It Real, Pictured Life, In Trance, Lovedrive, Another Piece Of Meat etc...which is very important, because i want my #1 band to be exposed properly, and not only through Still Loving You, Wind Of Change and the other ballads....
anyway as i said it might be Scorpions' best DVD...I just wish they played The Sails Of Charon, i wanted to see both Uli and Matthias do the amazing solo...
26.12.2009 - 14:55
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Heh, I was there. That mechanical scorpion contraption that they had made it truly a Spinal Tap-worthy moment
26.12.2009 - 22:52
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by jupitreas on 26.12.2009 at 14:55

Heh, I was there. That mechanical scorpion contraption that they had made it truly a Spinal Tap-worthy moment

lol was the break as long as it seems on the DVD? as in, were people thinking "hmm, they're not gonna play Hurricane, let's go back to drinking" ?
27.12.2009 - 01:36
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Written by Valentin B on 26.12.2009 at 22:52

lol was the break as long as it seems on the DVD? as in, were people thinking "hmm, they're not gonna play Hurricane, let's go back to drinking" ?

Can't tell you that since I was drinking heavily myself so time was kinda... hard to tell at this point LOL
16.01.2010 - 23:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by jupitreas on 27.12.2009 at 01:36

Written by Valentin B on 26.12.2009 at 22:52

Can't tell you that since I was drinking heavily myself so time was kinda... hard to tell at this point LOL

just re-watched that bit and the scorpion is fucking BIG, believe me.. you should watch it again, it's longer than a normal human and the tail is also really big. anyway not that it's supposed to matter as long as the real Scorpions play on stage and rock everything to pieces
17.01.2010 - 05:22
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Hey man, i have no idea what it looks like on the dvd since i haven't seen it, however, believe me, that scorpion looked RIDICULOUS at the actual show. it was pathetic and the hundreds of laughing people around me are testament to that.
17.01.2010 - 10:12
Valentin B
Iconoclast
15.11.2012 - 12:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Rewatched it again, and damn, they are quite bad that night as well.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 5241 | This month: 7