Metal Storm logo
Buying a CD VS Burning a CD

Original post

Posted by I_Die_Often, 27.12.2009 - 01:04
We all like to save a little money, are you happy burning a CD, or would you rather buy it and support the bands you like.
I would rather purchase my CD, give the few cents to the people who have put the effort into the recording, and have the booklet and artwork, read the lyrics and comments for a song.
I will have one burned for me of a CD I might not have purchased in the first place, and if I like it, go out and buy it.

What do you do?
27.01.2011 - 21:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.01.2011 at 16:54

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 27.01.2011 at 16:52

Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.01.2011 at 15:57

...but at the end of the day I have rent and other pills to pay, which significantly cuts into my budget.

then ffs go into detox, cause kicking that habit will save you a lot of money

hahaha maybe that will be my motivation Marcel. Less junk food = more CDs. Never even thought of it that way.

i believe marcel was referring to your admitted pill-popping problem. "rent and other pills to pay"...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
27.01.2011 - 21:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BitterCOld on 27.01.2011 at 21:00

...but at the end of the day I have rent and other pills to pay, which significantly cuts into my budget.

hahaha maybe that will be my motivation Marcel. Less junk food = more CDs. Never even thought of it that way.

i believe marcel was referring to your admitted pill-popping problem. "rent and other pills to pay"...

Wow - a mistake by not noticing my mistake.

Regardless, I should consider cutting shit food out of my diet and maybe I'll have some more coin for CDs - heck, maybe even enough for vinyls!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
27.01.2011 - 21:24
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 27.01.2011 at 21:04

Written by BitterCOld on 27.01.2011 at 21:00

Wow - a mistake by not noticing my mistake.

Regardless, I should consider cutting shit food out of my diet and maybe I'll have some more coin for CDs - heck, maybe even enough for vinyls!

As Craig said I was referring to you pill-popping problem
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.01.2011 - 18:21
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I've done a bit of both, but nowadays, I've quit downloading for free for the most part, and it's more as a kind of limit to me than anything. I found I had acquired so much, that I couldn't have the time I wanted to listen to it all. Usually, I'll try to give an album about 10 listens, just to give it a chance. Some I like on the first listen, some take time to grown, naturally. It's a much better feeling to own a cd, vinyl, tape or other audio format and listen to it like that, the way it should be experienced. That's not to say I wouldn't download things that are extremely hard to find and are extremely expensive, or even once they can be obtained, the cd won't work (Skullflower's "Xaman" for example). I would collect such things in the future, but I'm a poor student right now
29.01.2011 - 02:11
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by spirit_inblack on 28.01.2011 at 18:21

I've done a bit of both, but nowadays, I've quit downloading for free for the most part, and it's more as a kind of limit to me than anything. I found I had acquired so much, that I couldn't have the time I wanted to listen to it all.

Same for me... I don't even remeber the last time I downlaoded music tbh. Because I just think I have most of the stuff I need at the moment. Now I'm just going to search for most of the stuff that I downloaded and replace it with the real deal. That's also why I suck at buying cds from recent years I'm too busy with the 90s
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.01.2011 - 06:53
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.01.2011 at 02:11

Same for me... I don't even remeber the last time I downlaoded music tbh. Because I just think I have most of the stuff I need at the moment. Now I'm just going to search for most of the stuff that I downloaded and replace it with the real deal. That's also why I suck at buying cds from recent years I'm too busy with the 90s

i will cop to downloading music, but in looking at my buying habits, outside of "sale" disks, i'd say 75% of what i buy i checked out beforehand, and a good chunk of it dates back more than 5 years. although i must also confess to taking more "blind" (deaf?) chances on new releases in 2010 than any of the 10 years prior.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.01.2011 - 15:49
Sangre Sani

I'm buying CD's, but sometimes I download an album before I buy it. On the other hand sometimes I like to buy a CD that I have never heard and have cool or really bad surprise.
I like to have a CD in my hands, cover, booklet, plastic case. Then I'm proud of having a record and only then I can speak out loud "I have this album" with clear music-conscience/
16.06.2011 - 14:37
evilwayz

I've done a bit of both, but nowadays, I've quit downloading for free for the most part, and it's more as a kind of limit to me than anything. I found I had acquired so much, that I couldn't have the time I wanted to listen to it all. Usually, I'll try to give an album about 10 listens, just to give it a chance. Some I like on the first listen, some take time to grown, naturally. It's a much better feeling to own a cd, vinyl, tape or other audio format and listen to it like that, the way it should be experienced. That's not to say I wouldn't download things that are extremely hard to find and are extremely expensive, or even once they can be obtained, the cd won't work (Skullflower's "Xaman" for example). I would collect such things in the future, but I'm a poor student right now

I agree with this. When I used to download I downloaded a lot of music that might be good according to reviews and such and quite often I just listened to it once before moving on to something new. It became more a matter of collecting than listening. Occasionally I even lost interest in listening to music to some extent because I never really had time to familiarize myself with albums/artists that may have had the potential of becoming new favorites if I just had given them some more time.
16.06.2011 - 23:16
Mattybu

I buy CDs when I can. Like looking at the collection, that's all it really comes down to.
20.06.2011 - 22:19
IronAngel

Written by evilwayz on 16.06.2011 at 14:37

I agree with this. When I used to download I downloaded a lot of music that might be good according to reviews and such and quite often I just listened to it once before moving on to something new. It became more a matter of collecting than listening. Occasionally I even lost interest in listening to music to some extent because I never really had time to familiarize myself with albums/artists that may have had the potential of becoming new favorites if I just had given them some more time.

This is a problem I have. I'm determined to follow several different music scenes and keep up on new releases, so I have to download and otherwise acquire a load of music. But the sheer volume is sometimes exhausting and demotivating. I can't find the time to really get to know all the cool stuff I hear once. On RateYourMusic, I keep a list of interesting 2011 albums I've heard and that are worth revisiting. There's already 141 albums on it. That's almost one album per day. Add to this the albums that I buy, which are often older (my last purchase was the entire Simon & Garfunkel catalogue, for example), and there's very little time to listen to all the downloaded or otherwise available stuff.

Maybe I should limit the number of albums I listen to. Maybe it would improve the experience. But on the other hand, a big part of the fun is following what's going on in the music world and checking out new acts to see if they have a future going for them, and so on. It's just part of a good expertise in my hobby. The really good albums get enough time, anyway: I've probably listened to the new PJ Harvey two dozen times, and there are some 20 other albums this year that I really digged, got to know and some of them bought.
25.06.2011 - 05:19
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Buy.
Ill download a couple tracks off albums before the purchase to make sure its the right things to do. Without buying CD's, its hard to support the scene.
29.08.2012 - 03:05
I_Die_Often

Bandcamp has me downloading lots of good sounding bands right now.
Actually my son browes for things and loads them on my itunes when he comes over.
This has turned me on to lots of quality music, I just need more time to listen to it all.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
29.08.2012 - 05:01
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I buy direct from the band, mostly. NEVER burning, I find that totally pointless. If you want it, but can't pay, just download it, then it doesn't take up space.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
29.08.2012 - 09:54
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well i thought burning cds become kinda obsolete with broadband internet...or someone still does it
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.08.2012 - 16:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.08.2012 at 05:01
I buy direct from the band, mostly. NEVER burning, I find that totally pointless.

Well, I buy cds... and those cds I put into my computer... I just feel safer having a back up and I can listen via de computer when I don't have enough batteries for my discman. Using my discman less = It will last longer
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.08.2012 - 00:33
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.08.2012 at 16:31

Written by Boxcar Willy on 29.08.2012 at 05:01
I buy direct from the band, mostly. NEVER burning, I find that totally pointless.

Well, I buy cds... and those cds I put into my computer... I just feel safer having a back up and I can listen via de computer when I don't have enough batteries for my discman. Using my discman less = It will last longer

That's importing, not burning

I import everything, I like to look at my cds mostly, sometimes I usethem for background noise while playing guitar/gaming/whatever.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2012 - 20:04
Oaken
Hipster
Since real albums aren't available here, my complete collection is downloaded from the internet. However, I plan to start burning CDs soon to make up for that. It'll be much cooler with a physical collection, even though it's wholly burnt.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
30.08.2012 - 20:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Oaken on 30.08.2012 at 20:04

Since real albums aren't available here, my complete collection is downloaded from the internet. However, I plan to start burning CDs soon to make up for that. It'll be much cooler with a physical collection, even though it's wholly burnt.

That's what I think is totally pointless. It would just be a fake collection, that just takes up space. I know that you can't get Cd's, but still...

I have one burnt CD that my dad found in the parking lot of his work
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
30.08.2012 - 20:28
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Boxcar Willy on 30.08.2012 at 20:23

Written by Oaken on 30.08.2012 at 20:04

That's what I think is totally pointless. It would just be a fake collection, that just takes up space. I know that you can't get Cd's, but still...

I have one burnt CD that my dad found in the parking lot of his work

Well, as you know, I have no access to real CDs, so burnt ones will make up for my want to have a collection, whether real or fake.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
31.08.2012 - 00:54
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Another topic on this? yawn...
----
rekt
31.08.2012 - 01:59
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by tea[m]ster on 31.08.2012 at 00:54

Another topic on this? yawn...

There is another one? This isn't about downloading.
----
Rod, let me love you.