02. Patterns In The Ivy II

[Legacy Edition bonus DVD]
+ 5.0 Audio Mix Of The Original Album
+ The Making Of Blackwater Park

Top 20 albums of 2001: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 5
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Fredman Studios from August to October 2000.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt
Co-produced by Steven Wilson
Engineered by Fredrik Nordström & Steven Wilson.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Fredrik Norström while overlooked by Opeth.
Mastered by Göran Finnberg at the Mastering Room.
Photos by Harry Välimäki.
Cover and booklet designed by Travis Smith and Opeth.

"The Leper Affinity [live]" recorded by Brent Carpenter & Pontus Norgren and mixed by Pontus Norgren.
The 5.0 mix on the DVD was done by Jens Borgen for Northern Music Company.
The documentary "The Making Of Blackwater Park" was recorded, directed and edited by Fredrik Odefjard.

Guest review by
Rupophobic
Rating:
Passion. That's what Blackwater Park is all about. Pure, unadulterated passion. Forget that Opeth display musical ability and know-how that is rivaled by few. Forget that the ending to The Leper Affinity goes from what can only be described as one of the greatest jam sessions ever, to a beautiful, yet melancholic pianistic epilogue. Forget that Harvest is one of the greatest acoustic songs ever written. Forget that Blackwater Park contains the perfect metal riff. Forget that Mikael Akerfeld quite possibly has the best voice in all of music. Forget that every moment of this album will make you stand in awe of what you're hearing. Why should you forget all that? Because none of it matters.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (162)

Guest review by
Storchillarn
Rating:
There are few bands that dare to continuously expand their musical sphere with each release, expecting their fans to accept the changes - even fewer succeed. Mikael Åkerfeldt, song writer and front man of Opeth, has pushed Opeth to do so since the band's inception and perhaps it's this constant change, not giving the audience a chance to adjust to one particular niche, which keeps them from ending up like so many metal bands before them: repetitive and uninspired. 2001 was the year Opeth opened the floodgates of creativity and released what many believe to be their magnum opus, an album so hyped you might doubt its brilliance. I'm here to tell you not to doubt. This is Blackwater Park.

Read more ››
published 19.06.2010 | Comments (15)

Staff review by
ScreamingSteelUS
Rating:
This charade has gone on long enough. It's time someone gave this crappy album an honest assessment.

Read more ››
published 01.04.2018 | Comments (42)

It's hard to believe that human civilization peaked on March 12, 2001, but we of Metal Storm are well aware of the fact that Opeth's Blackwater Park is the single most important and amazing work of art ever to grace our unworthy human senses - and today this pillar of sonic achievement turns 20 years old.

Now, iconic reviews aside, I don't actually believe that Blackwater Park is the greatest album ever released - in fact, it's not even my favorite Opeth album - but there's no denying that it is a milestone in its genre, easily one of the definitive recordings of progressive metal. It ranks among the most significant and influential works in its sphere, standing tall even within Opeth's discography; with a career practically founded on the production of successive magna opera, Opeth will likely never have a single, incontrovertible outlier to be crowned their best, but Blackwater Park does have something like a mythology surrounding it. Maybe you don't have to treat it like the apex of heavy metal, but it's still a damn good progressive death metal record that we can all enjoy, and what more reason do you need to give it a spin?

ScreamingSteelUS's picks | More picks ››

Found in 236 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 236   Visited by: 4759 users
28.12.2009 - 21:06
Reza
Account deleted
I believe you overrate it. IMO it's not the best Opeth album.
28.12.2009 - 21:34
Warlock84
Whether or not it is their best album is open to debate and personal opinion, but still a phenominal effort nonetheless. Which can be said of any album Opeth releases. Blackwater Park was the first Opeth album I listened to, and I think because of that it will always remain my favorite.
----
All we are is the passion that burns inside us
28.12.2009 - 21:46
Rating: 7
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I would always prefer Morningrise over all other albums, but this is great stuff too
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

29.12.2009 - 10:33
Rating: 9
Elio
Red Nightmare
Solid and good album of course (it's Opeth) but I wouldn't mention this among my personal 3 fav Opeth albums. Maybe not even in the top 5.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.12.2009 - 13:11
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Elio on 29.12.2009 at 10:33

Solid and good album of course (it's Opeth) but I wouldn't mention this among my personal 3 fav Opeth albums. Maybe not even in the top 5.

Thank Fuck.. I thought I'm the only one here who thinks this album is not Opeth's best work ever.. Because most of folks here says something like that.. But for me Watershed and Ghost Reveries sound MUCH better.. Though this album has my favorite Opeth song of all time, The Funeral Portrait..
29.12.2009 - 13:16
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Hamird on 29.12.2009 at 13:11

Written by Elio on 29.12.2009 at 10:33

Thank Fuck.. I thought I'm the only one here who thinks this album is not Opeth's best work ever.. Because most of folks here says something like that.. But for me Watershed and Ghost Reveries sound MUCH better.. Though this album has my favorite Opeth song of all time, The Funeral Portrait..

Still Life is their best by far imo and after that Morningrise and only then Blackwater Park, Watershed and Ghost Reveries I deem as their two worst ones by far.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

29.12.2009 - 13:24
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.12.2009 at 13:16

Still Life is their best by far imo and after that Morningrise and only then Blackwater Park, Watershed and Ghost Reveries I deem as their two worst ones by far.

Why the worst? I think these two beat all other albums of them.. Of course maybe that's because of lack of trueness in me blood. Because I don't like their old albums as such.. While many Opeth fans worship them. Watershed comes first for me after all..
31.12.2009 - 22:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.12.2009 at 13:16

I almost completely agree with you... That is because I think that Morningrise is the best one and Still life is a close second. And yes, their latest two albums are their worst by far.

Blackwater Park is in the middle of all their albums imo. everything they did before is better than this album but everything they did after isn't as good.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2010 - 00:19
Zuzuz0r
For me their worst is Deliverance, and I'm not saying that I don't like it, I just enjoy it less than other albums, indeed, I love songs like A Fair Judgement and Deliverance, but I must say that I enjoy Ghost Reveries and Watershed better than Deliverance, and well about BWP, it's a great album and of course I enjoy it a lot, but it isn't their best, I agree with everyone that says that Morningrise is better than BWP.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
09.01.2010 - 12:43
Rating: 10
JunN_Vai
This album is the most easy listening album from Opeth. I think that's why many peoples like BwP...
(even Mike Portnoy put this album for the second best album from 2000-2009/this one decade)
13.01.2010 - 22:15
dfinch10
Blackwater Park is like that kid who you went to high school with who everyone loved and was the coolest guy in the school and you kind of hate him for it but still realise he's a pretty cool dude. Still Life is like that kids friend who is almost as cool as him but just missing that magical something. MAYH is the really weird artsy kid who you say to one of your friends "man that guy must be a serial killer or something" and your friend replys "no man you got it wrong. thats guys cool as hell". thats the way i like to think of it at least.
22.01.2010 - 06:48
BenWasHere
This is definitely my favorite Opeth album. I don't know what they did differently on this album from all their others, but they did it right. It's probably my favorite album of all time, or definitely up with them.
13.03.2010 - 11:12
Builtforsin88
Fucking badass! bleak and harvest, wow.
09.04.2010 - 17:54
advent
I agree that Morningrise is superior ,,,,this album is great but it was just a turning point for them that i didn't like
25.04.2010 - 09:33
INÆRIS
Written by Ellrohir on 28.12.2009 at 21:46

I would always prefer Morningrise over all other albums, but this is great stuff too

I tend to side with you on the matter, Morningrise has it. Although I go through moods where Still Life seems best, or Watershed, or Orchid, it goes through all of them, but usually it's Morningrise for me
----
Still Life, Still Death
25.04.2010 - 09:35
INÆRIS
Written by dfinch10 on 13.01.2010 at 22:15

Blackwater Park is like that kid who you went to high school with who everyone loved and was the coolest guy in the school and you kind of hate him for it but still realise he's a pretty cool dude. Still Life is like that kids friend who is almost as cool as him but just missing that magical something. MAYH is the really weird artsy kid who you say to one of your friends "man that guy must be a serial killer or something" and your friend replys "no man you got it wrong. thats guys cool as hell". thats the way i like to think of it at least.

That's pretty cool. Agreed
----
Still Life, Still Death
25.04.2010 - 19:11
Opeth1992
I'd have to say that this is my 3rd favorite Opeth album. I have all of their albums, but more often than not my favorite is MAYH, but it's constantly changing all the time. BWP is definitely amazing, and I can definitely see why it get's the raving reviews that it does. It's so diverse and dense, like there are many different levels of sound and melody on the disk. It's so hard to choose a favorite Opeth album, since they are the most talented metal band I know of imo, and I love every single one of their albums, even Damnation (although it gets a lot of shit, I appreciate the nice change of pace, it just proves how amazing they are) I know I probably sound like some stupid fanboy, but I'd give this album a 10 in a heartbeat. With songs like The Leper Affinity, The Drapery Falls, and the title track, how could you not adore this album.
08.05.2010 - 07:39
Jay-WalKeR
I think opeth still life after the album was among the groups top metal. Opeth album Blackwater park with a new progressive concept defined. Song The Leper Affinity stormy start this album is. I think this album should always among the top 5 all times Be.
13.06.2010 - 21:52
qlacs
"The Quaker"
I don't like this album. It doesn't deserves this good place on metalstorm. I tried 3 times to listen it through and I failed every time.
----
11.07.2010 - 18:55
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Written by Guest on 28.12.2009 at 21:06

I believe you overrate it. IMO it's not the best Opeth album.

Totally agree.
----
04.08.2010 - 17:58
advent
Written by Ellrohir on 28.12.2009 at 21:46

Agree
18.08.2010 - 04:32
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Everything about this album and Opeth in general screams: average. I just love it how Akerfeldt himself sounds like he is going to fall asleep before the first 30 seconds of Dirge For November are over. That makes two of us, Mikael. You've found a great way to make money and fans, but you get no respect from be, busynessman.
18.08.2010 - 12:34
Reza
Account deleted
Written by qlacs on 13.06.2010 at 21:52

I don't like this album. It doesn't deserves this good place on metalstorm. I tried 3 times to listen it through and I failed every time.

Then why you rated it with a 9 ?? !!
11.10.2010 - 21:22
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.08.2010 at 04:32

Everything about this album and Opeth in general screams: average. I just love it how Akerfeldt himself sounds like he is going to fall asleep before the first 30 seconds of Dirge For November are over. That makes two of us, Mikael. You've found a great way to make money and fans, but you get no respect from be, busynessman.

I stand by the statement that Akerfeldt sounds like he is going to fall asleep before the riff kicks in in Dirge for November, but everything else I take back. I am not sure why I didn't like Opeth at first, but now I love them. Ordered Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park today. Sorry, Mikael, I make mistakes sometimes. Here's one corrected.
29.11.2010 - 18:09
Deathcycle
How could anyone not love this album ? IMO if you can't find something you like about this record then maybe you don't like metal,or music at all for that matter.
30.11.2010 - 20:25
Greatest album of all time ! every metal fan should have this album
20.12.2010 - 10:17
mz
Before listening to this album I couldn't understand why opeth is so popular in metal fans.i cant choose the best track of this album everything is prefect .
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.02.2011 - 19:18
Gurth Bennas
Wow! 9.1 is low for a masterpiece! I'm not a loyal fan of opeth but about this album I can say nothing!
----
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul
Ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

(One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them)
16.02.2011 - 21:27
Rating: 7
akvan
Written by mz on 20.12.2010 at 10:17

Before listening to this album I couldn't understand why opeth is so popular in metal fans.i cant choose the best track of this album everything is prefect .

I agree with you and everybody says it's not true is a ........
----
Think about it . Every generation gets some new frontier to tackle . Einstein got relativity , The Nasa cowboys got the moon . All the easy stuff is taken , Artificial consciousness is the next frontier !
11.05.2011 - 10:09
Guib
Thrash Talker
Its an Instant Boner...
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here

Hits total: 142446 | This month: 366