Metal Storm logo
Avenged Sevenfold - Drummer Dead At 28

James Owen Sullivan, drummer and backup vocalist for Avenged Sevenfold, has been found dead at his home in Southern California, authorities have confirmed.

Police Lt. John Domingo said the 28-year-old Sullivan, who went by the stage name "The Rev", appears to have died of natural causes on Monday in Huntington Beach. Police were notified by firefighters who had responded to Sullivan's home about 1 p.m. The Orange County coroner's office is investigating the death.

Avenged Sevenfold formed in Huntington Beach in 1999 - Sullivan was a member from the beginning - and won Best New Artist at the MTV Video Music Awards in 2006. According to their MySpace page, the five-man metalcore band was working on their fifth album.

The band released the following statement expressing their sadness: "It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we tell you of the passing today of Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan. Jimmy was not only one of the world's best drummers, but more importantly he was our best friend and brother. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jimmy's family and we hope that you will respect their privacy during this difficult time. Jimmy you are forever in our hearts. We love you."

Source: ocregister.com
Band profile: Avenged Sevenfold
Posted: 29.12.2009 by Thryce

Comments page 3 / 4

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 94   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 493 users
30.12.2009 - 07:23
DP_Megachiva
Account deleted
Meh... I cannot put into words how little I care about this news or his band...
30.12.2009 - 07:29
kkktookmybaby
Written by ItalktotheWind on 30.12.2009 at 04:03

First I would like to say that death is not a tragedy, most musicians die before they make shitty music anyways (too bad for dimebag that he already started damageplan) but unfortunately this young man was involved in one of the worst bands to ever shine a note into my head. I don't think it is good that he died, but im not going to drop all of my opinions and ideas about someone because they died. Michael Jackson for example, I dont like his music, I am not glad he died, but im not going to mourn it.

Secondly, I think, on a real metal website, and the internet in general, people shouldn't be called immature for stating their dislike for a person and their music even if they have died. The fact that he died from natural causes is bullshit, the guy is like a modern motley crue but didnt have enough luck to stay alive.

sorry to say but the reason most people dont like "true" metal heads is the way that they act like theyre so much better who doesnt listen to the same music. ESPECIALLY on the internet. theres always some idiot that that puts "this isnt real metal. you are all stupid. go listen to sepultura, exodus, or slayer that is REAL metal"

that being said, i was personally a big fan and if not for avenged sevenfold i probably never gotten into hardcore metal. the rev was also one of my biggest musical influences. R.I.P.
30.12.2009 - 09:31
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Man, i have avenged sevenfold but this is fucking sad. rest in peace, rev.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
30.12.2009 - 10:09
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well, noone forces anyone to mourn about someone...

but you are coming here to express fully your disrespect, show your hatred, offending dead man, offending the band, taunting other people who came here to say "RIP"...now that SUCKS, you "so much mature" a "so much very cool" guys...

sometimes i am loosing faith into people...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

30.12.2009 - 10:14
INÆRIS
So sad to see talent like his end so soon. And also no hopes of another Pinkly Smooth album.
----
Still Life, Still Death
30.12.2009 - 13:27
Sanzo
I'm not a fan in the least of the band but it's never good when somebody dies. Especially when they die so young. It's a damn shame. Friends and family are in my thoughts for this tragedy.
30.12.2009 - 18:38
silenius
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.12.2009 at 14:57

Now emo nation has a legitimate reason for pretending to be in mourning.

That made me laugh my as off.

well the earth is overpopulated so in the big picture its great when people die.
30.12.2009 - 18:44
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by silenius on 30.12.2009 at 18:38

That made me laugh my as off.

well the earth is overpopulated so in the big picture its great when people die.

I don't know about how GREAT it is when someone dies, but there are definitely a lot of benefits. I think the hordes of environmentalists on the planet suffer from orgasm en masse in the event of human deaths such as this...

I can't even begin to imagine what happens to them when a lumberjack is crushed to death by a tree.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.12.2009 - 18:47
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by silenius on 30.12.2009 at 18:38

dont forget to remind yourself this in the time some of your relatives will pass out...
----

30.12.2009 - 18:48
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 29.12.2009 at 23:09

Doc's award for win of the week

That cracked me up.

Anyways, hell yeah! I had Rev in the pool!

That's the only significant award I've ever won! Thank you, kind sir.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
30.12.2009 - 18:55
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Ellrohir on 30.12.2009 at 18:47

dont forget to remind yourself this in the time some of your relatives will pass out...

We get it -- you're empathetic. Some of us (my apologies if I'm speaking incorrectly on behalf of others) ACTUALLY wouldn't care if our relatives "passed out" (by which you mean die). Death is a process of life no matter who it involves -- loved ones, children, the elderly, celebrities, whoever. I refuse to give false condolences to someone I have no affiliation with whatsoever and others apparently feel the same way. I've lost a variety of relatives and let's just say I'm no more "touchy" about that than I am about the "Rev" here.

However, it's great that you're connected the way you are to positivity regarding humanity. Keep it up, because it's a lot easier to be pessimistic like me.
----
30.12.2009 - 20:06
Thrash666
I fuckin hate this band. They are garbage and not metal at all. But dead at 28?? that shit sucks and its awful. So im not going to all of the sudden be a huge A7X fan.... but a death is always sad news, even if you hate the band. Its out of respect to just say something. R.I.P. Rev
----
LONG LIVE THASH!!!!!!!!!
R.I.P. "Dimebag" Darrell Abott
Drink a "blacktooth" for Dimebag
30.12.2009 - 23:57
DP_Megachiva
Account deleted
I don't see why everyone should be mourning or regretting his death... millions of people die everyday, for me he was as irrelevant as the rest...

I also think that showing false simpathy towards him is absurd: everybody expects that you praise someone who died, regardless of how you thought of him when he was alive... he was part of a crappy band, he doesn't deserve anything from me
31.12.2009 - 04:18
Arrwyn
I have been reading some of the responses to this and it has somewhat angered me. Yes, he died at a young age of "natural causes", but he died with rich and fame! How much more can you ask for? Some people I know have acted depressed and whatnot...really? I mean, dude, this guy probably would have never befriended you nor care to. And if you want to talk about people dieing at a young age, how come no one really cares about all of the 18 year old and young adults getting blown up down range to ensure that you can go to sleep at night? No one ever notices...

Anyways, back to topic. Sad, sure. But really life ruining or depressing? Not even close. I bet you they will find a new drummer by the end of January. And... not even close to the greatest drummers in the world... maybe inspiring to some of the hardcore scene...?
31.12.2009 - 04:35
Lachy
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.12.2009 at 07:23

Meh... I cannot put into words how little I care about this news or his band...

No words need either
31.12.2009 - 05:24
Frankenchrist
Rest in peace.
----
Blat Blat
31.12.2009 - 06:02
more evolved
Written by jupitreas on 29.12.2009 at 13:31

Maybe someone killed him since Avenged Sevenfold sucks?

i wrote a few reviews and had some fun on this site under another username, but got sick of the "my band is harsher than yours....you don't know extreme" attitude of all the morons. so now i sign in and see the news and find out that one of the morons is a staff member.....rallying mob mentality around the death of a 28 year old kid. i have never heard one bar of avenged sevenfold, but i don't relish in his death and try to get applause from the audience for a pointless comment on his death. i guarantee you that you would fail a lie detector if you said you would rather be "staff" member of an obscure heavy metal website than a drummer for a successful band that achievd success but was questioned by geeks about their intentions. i think i hear your mother calling you for dinner so pull your anaal nakrasthmph off your stereo and go eat your veggies.
31.12.2009 - 06:14
more evolved
Written by Elijah on 30.12.2009 at 01:31

Written by jupitreas on 29.12.2009 at 13:51

Written by DrunkenFuck on 29.12.2009 at 13:40

Jesus Christ show some fucking respect. The guy's dead. Come on. In any other AX7 thread I would have bashed them just the same, but this is different man. 28 years old, that's just too young no matter how bad your band is.

So hypocrisy is a sign of respect for you? Curious.

Quoting Cop Shoot Cop:
"Everybody loves you when you're dead
And everyone is suddenly you're dearest friend
Nobody talks no dirt about you
But life it just goes on above your head
When you're dead

Everybody miss you when you're gone
They'll reminisce about you
When they hear your favorite song
They'll think that they said something wrong
They'll wonder if there was something they shoud've said
When you're gone

And I'm never gonna tell a lie
And I'm never gonna wear a tie
And I'm never gonna say goodbye
Goodbye"

Huh. Guess that's where The Chaser's War on Everything got the idea for their "Eulogy Song."

my comment on the "staff" member,,,,i wrote a few reviews and had some fun on this site under another username, but got sick of the "my band is harsher than yours....you don't know extreme" attitude of all the morons. so now i sign in and see the news and find out that one of the morons is a staff member.....rallying mob mentality around the death of a 28 year old kid. i have never heard one bar of avenged sevenfold, but i don't relish in his death and try to get applause from the audience for a pointless comment on his death. i guarantee you that you would fail a lie detector if you said you would rather be "staff" member of an obscure heavy metal website than a drummer for a successful band that achievd success but was questioned by geeks about their intentions. i think i hear your mother calling you for dinner so pull your anaal nakrasthmph off your stereo and go eat your veggies.
31.12.2009 - 06:23
more evolved

Jesus Christ show some fucking respect. The guy's dead. Come on. In any other AX7 thread I would have bashed them just the same, but this is different man. 28 years old, that's just too young no matter how bad your band is.

Quoting Cop Shoot Cop:
When you're dead

When you're gone

Goodbye"
are you quoting avenged sevenfold? how do you know that to quote that? did you look at your c.d. jacket? why do you care? why as a "staff" member to a website do you need to make 14 year old comments about somebody's death? why does someone as intelligent as you work for a "true" metal website that posts news about avenged sevenfold?....and you wonder why you don't have any friends (your mother does not count buddy).
31.12.2009 - 06:33
more evolved
Written by Thryce on 29.12.2009 at 13:12

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 29.12.2009 at 12:57

Written by JosipS on 29.12.2009 at 12:54

Dead at 28 from natural causes? thats interesting to say the least.

It has happened a lot before.

Sure, but this guy had a history of being a heavy drug user too...

your staff brother (jupireas) fans the flame of everyone elses juvenile perception of metal and their critics....

i wrote a few reviews and had some fun on this site under another username, but got sick of the "my band is harsher than yours....you don't know extreme" attitude of all the morons. so now i sign in and see the news and find out that one of the morons is a staff member.....rallying mob mentality around the death of a 28 year old kid. i have never heard one bar of avenged sevenfold, but i don't relish in his death and try to get applause from the audience for a pointless comment on his death. i guarantee you that you would fail a lie detector if you said you would rather be "staff" member of an obscure heavy metal website than a drummer for a successful band that achievd success but was questioned by geeks about their intentions. i think i hear your mother calling you for dinner so pull your anaal nakrasthmph off your stereo and go eat your veggies.
Written by Elijah on 30.12.2009 at 01:31
So hypocrisy is a sign of respect for you? Curious. Quoting Cop Shoot Cop: "Everybody loves you when you're dead And everyone is suddenly you're dearest friend Nobody talks no dirt about you But life it just goes on above your head When you're dead Everybody miss you when you're gone They'll reminisce about you When they hear your favorite song They'll think that they said something wrong They'll wonder if there was something they shoud've said When you're gone And I'm never gonna tell a lie And I'm never gonna wear a tie And I'm never gonna say goodbye Goodbye"
Huh. Guess that's where The Chaser's War on Everything got the idea for their "Eulogy Song."
my comment on the "staff" member,,,,i wrote a few reviews and had some fun on this site under another username, but got sick of the "my band is harsher than yours....you don't know extreme" attitude of all the morons. so now i sign in and see the news and find out that one of the morons is a staff member.....rallying mob mentality around the death of a 28 year old kid. i have never heard one bar of avenged sevenfold, but i don't relish in his death and try to get applause from the audience for a pointless comment on his death. i guarantee you that you would fail a lie detector if you said you would rather be "staff" member of an obscure heavy metal website than a drummer for a successful band that achievd success but was questioned by geeks about their intentions. i think i hear your mother calling you for dinner so pull your anaal nakrasthmph off your stereo and go eat your veggies.
more evolved - Today at 06:23 Quote | Edit | Delete

Written by Mulldarran on 29.12.2009 at 13:40

Quoting Cop Shoot Cop:
When you're dead

When you're gone

Goodbye"

are you quoting avenged sevenfold? how do you know that to quote that? did you look at your c.d. jacket? why do you care? why as a "staff" member to a website do you need to make 14 year old comments about somebody's death? why does someone as intelligent as you work for a "true" metal website that posts news about avenged sevenfold?....and you wonder why you don't have any friends (your mother does not count buddy).
31.12.2009 - 09:34
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
For someone who is "more evolved" you sure seem to have trouble mastering the use of BB.

Anyway, please go read my blog that I've written about this topic. Also, I think it behooves me to specify that my views in no way represent those of the rest of the staff. I'm just a guy with an opinion, deal with it.
31.12.2009 - 09:39
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Simply - it is "metal" bashing A7X and its members, especially now, when one is dead...live with it or be called poseur and whimp
----

31.12.2009 - 11:37
silenius
I...like the word puts, its fun to say, and it makes my dick tingle!
01.01.2010 - 03:55
JD
Account deleted
To be honest i don't like him and his band... but yeah he died young 28
02.01.2010 - 02:13
soadbyob
Account deleted
Shit...so fuckin excited for this next album, damn...RIP, Rev.
02.01.2010 - 09:18
Jay
Perkele
Death at a young age is always a tragedy. Jimmy Sullivan died at age 28 which does make his death a tragedy. He will be missed by his family, firends and fans.

I never liked Avenged Sevenfold nor can determine if one is a good drummer or not. But that doesn't mean that I don't feel sorry for his death. Anyone who writes in this topic just to bash Jimmy Sullivan or Avenged Sevenfold, is just intellectually and mentally retarded.

IMO
----
This one goes to 11
02.01.2010 - 19:59
Megadeth88
Meh, it's a shame "The Rev" passed away. But that doesn't change the fact that Avenged Sevenfold is still a mediocre band with a few good songs.
04.01.2010 - 22:33
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Death is not a tragedy, death is reality. I think that it's pretty fucked up that people have become so detached from reality that they think the death of some random rockstar who they've never even met is a tragedy. People die all the time, I don't see why this guy's death is any more tragic than that of a random junkie.
06.01.2010 - 10:21
Ilham
Giant robot
Written by Ellrohir on 30.12.2009 at 10:09

Hey, I don't want to wake you up, but that's exactly what mature life is about.
06.01.2010 - 12:06
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Written by Ilham on 06.01.2010 at 10:21

Written by Ellrohir on 30.12.2009 at 10:09

Hey, I don't want to wake you up, but that's exactly what mature life is about.

you should know, that i have already claimed some time ago, that i never want to became mature because of that
----

Hits total: 9646 | This month: 6