05. Bloody Night
06. Day Of Fighter
07. Queen Of Dragons
08. The New Kingdom
09. The Sign
10. 12th Level

Heavy metal
Recorded: Potemkin Studio, Italy 2005
Label: SG Records (originally released in 2005 by AB Records)
Total Running Time: 56:48

The Mercalli scale is a scale used for measuring the intensity of an earthquake. Unfortunately there's nothing earth-shattering about this release. In fact the music hardly reaches the intensity of a moth farting.

It started out pretty good though. The very first moments it looked like this five-piece was keen to set out their stall as a Traditional Heavy metal band. But then... then the vocalist starts squealing like a seagull. And that's when it started to sound awfully familiar; this was the same guy (I'm almost sure it's a guy) as in my Ibridoma review.

Wandering the metal underground since 1992, it is only November 2005 when Scala Mercalli releases its debut full-length 12th Level to far less fanfare than the band had imagined. From what I read on the internet, the album wasn't really received with open arms by press and audience, but I think I found out why. And it doesn't take Sherlock fucking Holmes to crack the case either. Smooth arrangements are nonexistent, songwriting is unimaginably terrible and not entirely cheese-free, and the vocals mostly sour the enjoyability of the record anyway. Yet, for reasons unknown to yours truly, SG Records decided to re-issue this yawn-inducing affair at the end of 2009.

As an old saying goes, there's no school like the old school. But this heavy metal D student sure skipped a lot of classes. Whatever, there's no room for school dropouts. Class dismissed, this album is of no particular relevance.

PS: The band's MySpace player only contains songs of their new album Border Wild, which sounds notably better than this unconvincing abomination. A remarkable improvement! So go get that one instead.

Written by Thryce | 29.12.2009

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 56 users
30.12.2009 - 12:06
frankeli
Account deleted
Uuuuu bad, verz baaad )
30.12.2009 - 22:21
Fat & Sassy!

I'm a pretty big fan of the moth-fart joke. XD
09.01.2010 - 09:07
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Is this some kinda Mercalli scale band name in some other language?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
04.02.2010 - 15:41
frons79

Written by LeChron James on 09.01.2010 at 09:07

Is this some kinda Mercalli scale band name in some other language?

Nope, the band is from Italy and the name is Scala Mercalli (of course, in italian)

Hits total: 4340 | This month: 11