Metal Storm logo
Favorite non-metal album

Original post

Posted by I_Die_Often, 31.12.2009 - 00:55
What is that one CD you have, that is not metal, that is one of your most favorites?
One that you believe belongs in everyone's collection.

For me it is Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
I love how the entire album sounds and feels, David Gilmours playing is full of emotion.
The song Wish You Were Here touches me every time I hear it, takes me back to when my father passed away...
Dark Side Of The Moon may be more popular, but for my ears, this is one of the greatest albums ever.

What is yours?
04.06.2010 - 06:39
Derwood

There are two particular standout albums for me.

The Who - Quadrophenia
Easily the most overlooked album in their discography. This album features one of the greatest rhythm sections ever at their peak. The interplay of Entwhistle and Moon on tracks like "The Real Me," "Bell Boy" and "5:15" is simply unsurpassed.

The Clash - London Calling
For my money, the absolute peak of the first wave of British punk. If it wasn't for the unfortunate inclusion of "Train in Vain" the album would be as close to perfection as any band has gotten. Aside from the title track, "Four Horseman," "Death and Glory," "Brand New Cadillac" ... so many great songs.

Honourable mention goes to U2's The Unforgettable Fire. I've never quite figured out why, but I absolutely love this album.
----
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck!
05.06.2010 - 13:04
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
At the moment three albums are in my highly addictive state:

1 - Nu:Tone - Back Of Beyond

Beautiful mix of the ambience of Liquid Funk with the power beats of Drum&Bass.. some tracks like JetStream and Beatnik are travelling masterpieces.

2 - Dido - Life For Rent

Althou I saw her constantly on TV and radio some years ago (and already admired her voice), I never put my hands at some of her Full-lenghts... and this one is beautiful, chillout and peaceful music thanks to Dido angelic voice.

3 - E.S. Posthumus - Unearthed

The first work of instrumental orchestral E.S. These guys usually made songs for movie soundtracks, but whatever. Unearthed is completly symphonic orchestra (different from their recent work Cartographer, which features some female vocals and calmer music). Epic stuff! ''Menouthis'' and ''Pompeii'' are the most powerful and my highlights.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
05.06.2010 - 20:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Uirapuru on 05.06.2010 at 13:04

2 - Dido - Life For Rent

Althou I saw her constantly on TV and radio some years ago (and already admired her voice), I never put my hands at some of her Full-lenghts... and this one is beautiful, chillout and peaceful music thanks to Dido angelic voice.

Ha you're a Dido fan too? Life For Rent is a great album, though a little too upbeat to topple No Angel as my favourite.
06.06.2010 - 04:11
Kennoth

Don't think I have any

Not very versatile music taste, I know. If I'd had to take a wild pick, it'd be something from Eminem
----
*insert something deep and profound*
06.06.2010 - 05:50
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Guest on 05.06.2010 at 20:58

Written by Uirapuru on 05.06.2010 at 13:04

2 - Dido - Life For Rent

Ha you're a Dido fan too? Life For Rent is a great album, though a little too upbeat to topple No Angel as my favourite.

Yes I am o/ .. long time fan of her voice. And I love her ''Alternative Pop'' style, with soft melancholic melodies along the use of electronic effects and even some subtle percussion (like through the song ''Isobel'' and the climax of ''Take My Hand'').

I agree, ''No Angel'' is definetly better, my favorite songs belongs to that album, I just heard it so much that my addiction has not the same magnitude But I still regard it as one of my favorites.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.06.2010 - 11:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm.. i don't listen to many things outside of metal, especially when it comes to full albums. but i guess The Devil's Blood's first EP was pretty sick too(even though it trots quite a fine line between 70s rock and metal), definitely my favorite non-metal album so far.
24.07.2010 - 06:55
Javier_000

It taken me over 2 years LOL to say this but _ now_ i listen other music apart of metal.

Apart of metal i have one album i've been listeing again and again.

Hillwood - South Park Mexican

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE6q8kwNkzw
----
i freaks my draulics phuckin' hoes in college... beetches swinging on my nuts is so stylish...
27.07.2010 - 10:40
Cyroth

I think my favorite non-metal album might be Pendulum's Hold Your Colour or Sub Focus' Sub Focus
----
29.07.2010 - 12:58
Dark Blood
The Avenger
I have a few. Lets see...

Dido -Life For Rent (I dont consider myself a fan cause I dont follow her work, but I really enjoy this album a lot. Such an angelic voice indeed)
Red Hod Chilli Peppers -Californication and Blood Sugar Sex Magic (I think these are also the best RHCP albums, no question)
The Cranberries - Bury The Hatchet (Always liked Cranberries since I was a kid, and this album was important in my childhood)
Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (Now here's one of the first albums that I was really into to when I was a kid. A techno masterpiece)

Also like some movies and games soundtracks and Silent Hill always had great songs. Silent Hill 2 OST also plays a part in my favorites.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
08.08.2010 - 21:25
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Dark Blood on 29.07.2010 at 12:58

Dido -Life For Rent (I dont consider myself a fan cause I dont follow her work, but I really enjoy this album a lot. Such an angelic voice indeed)
Red Hod Chilli Peppers -Californication and Blood Sugar Sex Magic (I think these are also the best RHCP albums, no question)
The Cranberries - Bury The Hatchet (Always liked Cranberries since I was a kid, and this album was important in my childhood)
Prodigy - The Fat of the Land (Now here's one of the first albums that I was really into to when I was a kid. A techno masterpiece)

Also like some movies and games soundtracks and Silent Hill always had great songs. Silent Hill 2 OST also plays a part in my favorites.

All those albums are awesome in my opinion. Except The Cranberries one which I've never heard.
08.08.2010 - 23:41
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Written by Guest on 08.08.2010 at 21:25

All those albums are awesome in my opinion. Except The Cranberries one which I've never heard.

Check out this song then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUFPooqKllA
I always loved this Cranberries song since that album came out, and its probably one of my favourites. The video is kinda stupid though... but somehow that's not how I remember it...
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
09.08.2010 - 18:43
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Cyroth on 27.07.2010 at 10:40

I think my favorite non-metal album might be Pendulum's Hold Your Colour or Sub Focus' Sub Focus

Great albums! Pendulum's one was probably the most successful Drum&Bass works of all time. From Sub Focus I also like their EP's, like Airplane/Flamenco, powerful stuff. o/

Another great album of the genre who belongs to my favorites is this:

Warlords Rising from Future Prophecies. More ambience orientated than the others, but just as great. =)
----

----
13.08.2010 - 06:07
Orpheus

3 favorites:
Yes - Close to the Edge
Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet
Genesis - Foxtrot
There are much more. Metal isn't my favorite genre, really.
27.08.2010 - 05:43
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Lust for life iggy pop
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.09.2010 - 01:47
InnerSelf
proofread free
ColdPlay - X&Y ... I have always loved Coldplay and everything about them
they write great music and top-notch lyrics and even Viva La Vida did not disappoint
there are some more probably Eminem and The Cranberries

EDIT : Forgot to mention the great Are You There by Mono
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
17.09.2010 - 20:17
Reza
Account deleted
"Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication" , "Papa Roach - Infest"
22.11.2010 - 16:39
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 17.09.2010 at 01:47

they write great music and top-notch lyrics and even Viva La Vida did not disappoint

Agreed. I don't understand all the hate Coldplay gets. X&Y is a good album I used to listen to a long time ago especially "Clocks."
Yeah, Viva La Vida didn't disappoint but it was weaker than their older stuff.
22.11.2010 - 16:41
Lovecraft
Account deleted
No Yeah Yeah Yeahs? Guano Apes or Jet?
I don't think I can find fans here anyways.
22.11.2010 - 16:44
Lovecraft
Account deleted

Pendulum is a very good band. I haven't heard Hold Your Color though. But I heard most of Immersion and all of In Silico. Awesome stuff.
22.11.2010 - 16:45
Lovecraft
Account deleted

The Fat of The Land is amazing! Better than their newer stuff.
22.11.2010 - 16:50
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Guest on 22.11.2010 at 16:41

I really like the Guano Apes
22.11.2010 - 16:51
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by Diabolos on 22.11.2010 at 16:50

Cool to know I am not the only one! What album (if I may ask) is your favorite?
22.11.2010 - 16:54
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Guest on 22.11.2010 at 16:51

Written by Diabolos on 22.11.2010 at 16:50

Cool to know I am not the only one! What album (if I may ask) is your favorite?

Hmm, that's pretty hard to decide, it's either "Proud Like A God" or "Don't Give Me Names" (although I mostly listen to their compilation "Planet Of The Apes", because it has all the best songs on it )
22.11.2010 - 17:20
0rpheus

The Fountain OST by Clint Mansell
----
I would prefer not to.
22.11.2010 - 19:57
Cyroth

Written by Guest on 22.11.2010 at 16:44

Pendulum is a very good band. I haven't heard Hold Your Color though. But I heard most of Immersion and all of In Silico. Awesome stuff.

If you think In Silico is awesome,the you should be blown away by Hold Your Colour.

Oh...yeah...Dawn of Ashes' The Crypt Injection is again an awesome album,so is In the Acts of Violence.And guess what they're on MS because their new album is a metal album,although I haven't listened to it yet.
----
22.11.2010 - 23:02
Lovecraft
Account deleted
@Soul-in-dark, I will.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot Harvey Danger, Muse, and sometimes Mute Math. And again, I doubt there are fans here.
23.11.2010 - 10:56
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2010 at 21:00

Artist - Album - "Song"

Alan Parsons - A Valid Path - "Return to Tunguska"
Dire Straits - Money for Nothing - "Money for Nothing"
Eric Clapton - Complete Clapton - "Layla"
Foreigner - Complete Greatest Hits - "Jukebox Hero"
Journey - Greatest Hits - "Who's Cryin' Now"
Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (1980) - "Games Without Frontiers"
Sinéad O'Connor - The Lion and the Cobra - "Troy"
Supertramp - Breakfast in America - "The Logical Song"
The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - "The Fall of the House of Usher: Pavane"

And my favorite non-metal song (excluding ones from the albums listed above) is definitely Jefferson Airplane's "White Rabbit"!

Sorry for the "top 10" list so to speak: I just couldn't narrow it down to ONE album...

Awesome list you got there.
23.11.2010 - 13:47
JD
Account deleted

Guano Apes

Love that chick.
23.11.2010 - 14:10
Lovecraft
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.11.2010 at 13:47

Guano Apes

Love that chick.

You mean Sandra Nasic? Yeah, she is cool.
23.11.2010 - 14:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 22.11.2010 at 16:39

Written by InnerSelf on 17.09.2010 at 01:47

Agreed. I don't understand all the hate Coldplay gets. X&Y is a good album I used to listen to a long time ago especially "Clocks."
Yeah, Viva La Vida didn't disappoint but it was weaker than their older stuff.

I don't actually care for those who hate Coldplay just because they are mainstream
and yes Viva la Vida was weaker but still has some great songs in it
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.