Metal Storm logo
Oh no, not another "suggestion" thread, but I want Prog Metal!

31.12.2009 - 17:33
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Being 37 years old and a huge fan of Prog Metal I can honestly say MetalStorm has been the best internet find I've ever made; I would have never discovered bands like Riverside, Agalloch, Disillusion, Dark Suns, Oceans of Sadness and Enochian Theory without MetalStorm's content and its members! So I ask you all, jot down some must-hear prog-metal and the like.
----
rekt
01.01.2010 - 13:12
Hellish Star

Try out the DARKOLOGY cd, awesome stuff!!
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
01.01.2010 - 15:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ricco will agree but Psychotic Waltz be best what I can suggsest to you
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.01.2010 - 16:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Can't go wrong with Arcturus, Ayreon (and Arjen Lucassen's various side projects), Cynic, Evergrey, Gojira, Green Carnation, In the Woods..., Maudlin of the Well, Sieges Even (more prog-rock than metal I suppose), Symphony X... and as Bad English said, Psychotic Waltz.

And for some heavy/prog metal, you could always check out Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, Lethal, or Savatage. Those are most of the big prog bands I know, or bands who've released at least one significant prog metal album. I don't listen to many bands in the genre, but hopefully these ones satisfy your taste. Good luck with your search!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.01.2010 - 16:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.01.2010 at 16:45

or Savatage.

Only Streets and their more recent albums are slightly progressive. And funnily enough those albums don't have any classics amongst them. The true Savatage classics are still and will always be Sirens and Hall Of The Mountain King and to a lesser extent Gutter Ballet.
After Streets Savatage went quite a bit downhill to be honest,
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

01.01.2010 - 17:16
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.01.2010 at 16:54

or Savatage.

Only Streets and their more recent albums are slightly progressive. And funnily enough those albums don't have any classics amongst them. The true Savatage classics are still and will always be Sirens and Hall Of The Mountain King and to a lesser extent Gutter Ballet.

I remember listening to their "From the Gutter to the Stage" compilation about a year ago... It didn't really leave a big impact, but most prog I listen to doesn't seem to connect with me (the bands I listed earlier are essentially all of the big prog bands I know aside from Dream Theater, most of which I don't enjoy but figure fans of the genre would)... That being said, I haven't listened to any of Savatage's individual studio albums, but that bit of information about their career certainly doesn't hurt.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.01.2010 - 00:24
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I don't like all prog, but I think I've tried quite a lot. e.g. I don't like Dream Theatre or Evergrey
Here are some of my favourites that no one above me has mentioned:
Redemption - The Origins Of Ruin (you probably know this one already)
Threshold - Dead Reckoning (almost hard rockish, but damn good and heavy)
Oceans Of Sadness - The Arrogance Of Ignorance (definitely among my favourites from 2008)
Star One - Space Metal (don:t really like most of the Ayreon stuff, but this one sounds great to me)
Shadow Gallery - Room V (actually the whole disco is pretty amazing.)
Symphony X - Paradise Lost (if you are okay with Power Metal, this band would be v cool)
To-Mera - Delusions (very hard to digest album and atypical prog with female vox, so not for everyone)
Devin Townsend - Addicted / Physicist (As a fan of Strapping Young Lad, I checke them out and wasn:t disappointed)
Persefone - Shin-Ken (prog melodeath really, so I don't know whether you'll like it or not. the japanese theme is quite unique)
Protest The Hero - Fortress (absolutely bonkers and schizophrenic music, but you don:t have time to get bored)
Into Eternity - really nice of a mix of three types of vocal styles.

but i guess these are still pretty mainstream. oh yeah, the lastest freak kitchen and waltari are pretty cool too
----
loves 小巫
04.01.2010 - 14:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I would recommend three bands, three very different sounds: Green Carnation, In Mourning and Darkwater.

Darkwater has a more power metal edge, Green Carnation has a more darker, somber edge, and In Mourning has a more death metal edge. So a lot of varied stuff I enjoy. Depending on what you prefer it might be a good choice. Both In Mourning and Darkwater have only released an album so that's an easy choice and by Green Carnation I would recommend "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" to start with.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
04.01.2010 - 21:54
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 01.01.2010 at 16:54

or Savatage.

I agree, still Dead Winter Dead is a pretty nice album.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
05.01.2010 - 12:22
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Thanks alot peeps...alot to digest!
Check out my album collection and maybe someone will suggest "I see you like (insert band) so you might like (insert band)"
Keep it up!
----
rekt
05.01.2010 - 13:12
Charly546

Well, I see that you don't have any Psychotic Waltz. I think they were recommended to you earlier, so this should be considered a quote of that post followed by my message "Seconded!" (I'd probably use more than one "!", given that this band should really be on top of the "check out" list.) Instead of trying to describe their sound, I'll just leave a couple Youtube links.
First album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jtjuZpI0xs
Start of second album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IppNvtzx4I8&feature=related
Also from second album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EESXxWg6rwU&feature=related
Last album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJcRzfurefQ&feature=related

Then, seeing that you gave Coroner's best album "Grin" a 10, I think that you'd like Anacrusis' "Screams and Whispers". Again it's kinda hard to exactly say what they are, so I'll leave it up to you to decide and I'll just take the role of providing audio samples.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3RFVFkkpvA
If you found it interesting, then they have all their albums available for download on their website: http://anacrusis.us/media%20files/MP3/Albums/Albums.html
05.01.2010 - 13:56
TheOwl

Some great bands suggested already.

Try to find a Canadian band called IN THE NAME - simply amazing prog metal... they only did one album in the 1990's and then disappeared.... check this sample http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUz_ZP27QAo
also anything you can get from ENCHANT will most likely amaze you
05.01.2010 - 19:59
Hellish Star

Written by tea[m]ster on 05.01.2010 at 12:22

Check out my album collection and maybe someone will suggest "I see you like (insert band) so you might like (insert band)"
Keep it up!

And if you like Darkology, also try to find OUTWORLD, same singer (was also vocalist at second Beyond Twilight cd)
----
www.myspace.com/hellishstar

Metal To Infiity Webzine: http://users.telenet.be/metaltoinfinity/MTIindex.htm
06.01.2010 - 17:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Ag Fox on 03.01.2010 at 00:24

Protest The Hero - Fortress (absolutely bonkers and schizophrenic music, but you don:t have time to get bored)

I think you should have mentioned that it's Metalcore with progressive elements.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
06.01.2010 - 19:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.01.2010 - 00:02
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by BloodTears on 04.01.2010 at 14:11

I would recommend three bands, three very different sounds: Green Carnation, In Mourning and Darkwater.

Darkwater has a more power metal edge, Green Carnation has a more darker, somber edge, and In Mourning has a more death metal edge. So a lot of varied stuff I enjoy. Depending on what you prefer it might be a good choice. Both In Mourning and Darkwater have only released an album so that's an easy choice and by Green Carnation I would recommend "Light of Day, Day of Darkness" to start with.
oh yeah... how could i forget darkwater and in mourning? silly me. I think I'll need to get around to check out Green Carnation soon
----
loves 小巫
07.01.2010 - 19:32
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by Ag Fox on 07.01.2010 at 00:02

Written by BloodTears on 04.01.2010 at 14:11

oh yeah... how could i forget darkwater and in mourning? silly me. I think I'll need to get around to check out Green Carnation soon

You can't remember them all

I highly recommend Green Carnation even their acoustic album "Acoustic Verses" but not a lot of people like them, I admit. Not a lot of people like Riverside either and they are absolutely brilliant. So, don't be put out by that.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.01.2010 - 20:39
Fhuesc

I would say To-Mera, some people here find it really boring and uninspired, but i on the other side faint amazing. Their second album is the best to me.

Even though it's more power than progressive, Angra is a really great band. In this case i would recommend avoid Fireworks since is kinda bad, on the one you should listen is hard for me since i find Rebirth, Holy Land and Temple of Shadows equally good.
----
Hasta la victoria, siempre!
Until victory, always!
07.01.2010 - 20:50
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Thumbs up to Fhuesc for suggesting To-Mera as I find them rather good, though they are hard to get into. But also I forgot about recommending Adagio (first two albums). Underworld (the second album) is totally amazing - a masterpiece of prog metal.

Also Control Denied, a side project of Chuck Schuldiner. One great album of dark complex prog a la Death (duh).
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
07.01.2010 - 21:22
prk

Temple of shadows is the best angra album imo; although it starts out kind of mediocre the latter half of the album is completely insane and showcases some nice variety

shadow gallery - tyranny, although all of their albums before digital ghosts are excellent (withholding judgement on digital ghosts for now)

Seventh Wonder is a pretty underrated prog/heavy band im just getting into recently myself but waiting in the wings has a bunch of great songs
----
well that's just like... your opinion, man...
07.01.2010 - 23:26
Crazy Booduh

I'll second Adagio. Underworld is a freakin' masterpiece. They kind of had a style change with their last two albums but I still really like all of their CDs.

You should also check out Dark Empire. They had Jens Carlsson (Savage Circus, Persuader) on vocals but he split after their last album. Humanity Dethroned was amazing though.
12.01.2010 - 18:57
Fat & Sassy!

Written by tea[m]ster on 05.01.2010 at 12:22

Keep it up!

I actually did do this, but you seem to not be too fond of Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element... which is what I was going to suggest. I don't really understand why people find the album "average". In fact, I think the album is BRILLIANT, and POS is (maybe WAS, now) one of the few progressive bands that actually deserve the title of, ya know, progressive rock/metal.

I have seen that people have recommended Green Carnation too. Good stuff. Light of Day, Day of Darkness is pure prog magic.
12.01.2010 - 19:30
Darkside Momo
Retired
Have you tried Alchemist yet?
Extreme, progressive, crazy, with ambiant, tribal and electronic elements.
Really great stuff, check the Spiritech and Austral Alien albums (their best two by far)
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
14.01.2010 - 04:04
cold103

Check out these 2 albums if you haven't already:

"Into The Electric Castle" by Ayreon
"Painting on Glass" by The 3rd And The Mortal

I love them both.
15.01.2010 - 01:59
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
One word: Suspyre

Their 2008 album "When Time Fades" is possibly the best prog metal album Ive heard in the past 5 years. Similar to Symphony X only better, more varied and epic. Much more difficult to get into than Symphony X, but thats never a bad thing. Check them out! SO good
15.01.2010 - 15:18
macraigma

I agree Suspyre is a good band.
----
"Now for the weak an abortion
Celebrate perfection that grows
The flesh, a gift of science
The soul a fault of a god"
16.01.2010 - 12:07
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Everyone has been great with the suggestions...I'll try yo find some material on these bands via youtube, myspace etc. stay tuned! I listened to Hourglass - surprised no one mentioned them - pretty good prog metal!
----
rekt
16.01.2010 - 19:32
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Progressive Metal Albums

Ice Age - The Great Divide (1999)
Amaran's Plight - Voice In The Light (2007)
Super String Theory - Principles Of Transformation (2006)
Ark - Burn The Sun (2001)
Conception - Solar Serpent from In Your Multitude (1995)
Matraz - Gritare (2004)
Abydos - Abydos (2004)
Mindflow - Mind Over Body (2006)
Royal Hunt - Paradox (1997)
Pagan's Mind - Through Osiris Eyes from Celestial Entrance (2002)
Crimson Glory - Transcendence (1988)
Therion - Theli (1997)
Nekropsi - Yollar from Mi Kubbesi (1996)
Shaman - Ritual (2002)
Mind Key - Journey Of A Rough Diamond (2004)
Anubis Gate - Andromeda Unchained (2007)
Myrath - Confession from Hope (2007)
Eternity X - The Edge (1997)
Octopus - Coda (2008)
16.01.2010 - 21:42
cold103

Written by Introspekrieg on 16.01.2010 at 19:32

Eternity X - The Edge (1997)

"The Edge" is a pretty good album. It's Eternity X's best album by far IMO.

16.01.2010 - 21:47
Darkside Momo
Retired

Ark - Burn The Sun (2001)

Great great album, highly recommended

Therion - Theli (1997)

While I agree it's fantastic, I wouldn't classify it as prog...
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"