Reviewer:

696 users:
Band: Therion
Album: Lemuria
Release date: May 2004

01. Typhon
02. Uthark Runa [feat. Mats Leven]
03. Three Ships Of Berik, Part 1: Calling To Arms And Fighting The Battle
04. Three Ships Of Berik, Part 2: Victory!
05. Lemuria
06. Quetzalcoatl
07. The Dreams Of Swedenborg
08. An Arrow From The Sun
09. Abraxas [feat. Mats Leven]
10. Feuer Overtüre / Prometheus Entfesselt

2004, a year dedicated to Therion, a year that Christofer Johnsson poured his soul into composing two monumental albums, "Sirius B" and "Lemuria". Stunning and imposing at times, whilst at others emotional, orchestrations being accompanied by the superb and utterly expressive operatic female and male or heavy/power voices, unerring and inspired guitar riffing and wonderful ecstatic heavy or dreamy solos in the air are the main characteristics that form those brilliant releases.

"Lemuria", once a city of utter brilliance, infinite knowledge and wisdom, yet somehow it vanished under the waves of the sea forgotten in its own oblivion. Johnsson reached "Lemuria" and composed a great album worthy of the greatness of this ancient city; heavy and aggressive at times whilst at others so emotional, so dreamy and touching. "Lemuria" is a piece of art whose melodies overrun your heart and soul bringing enlightment through the thoughtful at times and mystic at others lyrics of Thomas Karlsson harmonizing beautifully with the music and the overall feeling of the album. O "Riders of Theli, let your souls float amongst the waves of wisdom, let memories of a forgotten time lead you to your own "Lemuria"?

The album opens with "Typhon", an elegiac composition with stunning heavy guitar riffing accompanying the expressive operatic voices and Christofer's extreme voice (yes, the almighty Dragon's voice can be heard once more!) praising the name of "Typhon", one of the most almighty among the Titans, a symbol of those that choose to defy the "written laws" of gods. "Uthark Runa" follows and continues the album in an imposing way with wonderful guitar work and expressive interpretation both by the choir and Mats Leven leading to the "Three Ships of Berik" (Part I and II) telling us of the march of the united Gothic tribes under the sign of Berik against the Roman Empire (Part I) and finally marching in triumph victorious (Part II), a metaphor of how the name of the Gothic tribes became synonym of Art during the period of the Renaissance and Romanticism "conquering" the world.

The album flows wonderfully with the beautiful melodies of "Lemuria". The operatic voices evoke a tranquil atmosphere harmonizing in a unique way with the inspired guitar chords and floating symphonies that overrun your soul; for one more time the gifted voice of an old member of Therion and good friend of Christofer, Piotr Wawzreniuk, echos giving meaning to every single word he utters - a great song evoking the majesty and perfect symmetry and wisdom of this ancient city. "Quetzacoatl" follows continuing the album in a heavier mood with inspired guitar work and serene orchestral pieces reaching "The Dreams of Swedenborg". Deeply inspired melodies with the guitars and the operatic voices accompanying Piotr's descriptive interpretation evoking visuals of the lyrics in the air form a great composition escalated by a wonderful guitar solo.

The album continues and I remain speechless, all the words lose their sound as "An Arrow from the Sun" strikes me down. What can I say when such melodies entwine with my soul in combination with the esoteric lyrics, when the interpretation of the vocalists keep you enchanted as you hold in your arms "a key to time and space" opening the pathways to "journeys within". "Abraxas" follows, a composition that could easily be a part of "Crowning of Atlantis" combining wonderful heavy guitar riffing with intense beautiful-sounding symphonies and operatic voices leading "Lemuria" to its end with "Feuer Overture/Prometheus Entfesselt" which is based on heavy guitar riffing, wonderful-sounding symphonies and a Rammstein-ish feeling at times.

Lose yourself in the melodies of "Lemuria" and who knows, maybe you'll find the way that leads to your very own "Lemuria"?

Written on 18.01.2005 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Staff review by
Deadsoulman
Rating:
Sirius B for the experiments, Lemuria for the aggression. Maybe this was the calculation of Christopher Johnsson before recording both albums. How come two albums, that have been recorded at the same time, in the same studio by the same musicians, are in the end so different?

Lemuria is what we could call a 'normal' Therion album. The only major difference with the previous album Secret Of The Runes is a higher dose of aggressiveness, the fact that Lemuria is more heavy and maybe less symphonic. The opening is a kick-ass song; actually 'Typhon' is probably the most brutal song recorded by Therion, as well as the first one with growlings, for a few years. The epic track 'Three Ships Of Berik' also contents growlings, and this 'new' vocal direction leads to more variety in the music, which is a really good thing in my opinion... The rest of the album doesn't have screams or growls, but most of it is still heavy, catchy and punchy, more like usual Therion. 'Uthark Runa' and 'An Arrow From The Sun' are the kind of songs that you can expect from Therion, heavy, with great lyric vocals and nice arrangements all along, in the end catchy songs, of those that have made the band's reputation. 'Abraxas' is in the same vein, the kind of song you wouldn't have been surprised to hear on an older album. The riff of this song is particularly interesting, it's quite brutal and groovy at the same time. Another great song. The closing track 'Feuer Overture...' is a bit special. Maybe it's the lyrics in German, or the spoken harsh vocals, but this song has no real connection with the rest. It's a good one, but it doesn't really fit in the entity that is Lemuria...

Read more ››
published 29.11.2004 | Comments (1)

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 84 users
31.07.2006 - 01:46
Bitch Boy

I love this album, especially Quetzalcoatl, Lemuria and the part one of Three ships of Berik. BTW what do you mean by a "Rammstein-ish feeling"??
31.07.2006 - 07:07
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Therion has done a great work with these amazing songs.
In this album there are songs which create differents atmospheres, like "Three Ships Of Berik, Part 1: Calling To Arms And Fighting The Battle" it makes me imagine ancient tribes running and fighting with swords, wow! great music. The songs "Lemuria" and "Quetzalcoatl" create an atmosphere of brilliant ancient cultures, in all their splendour
"The Dreams Of Swedenborg" and "An Arrow From The Sun" are excellent songs too, the first specially for the guitar and the second for the beautiful soprano voice in the beginning.

Excellent album, made by one of the greatest metal bands ever
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
31.07.2006 - 09:48
Rating: 8
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Lemuria is definitely my choice out of the two CDs Therion put out that year and this CD has everything that is "Therion" all in ten tracks. Great review! "Lemuria" is utterly mesmerizing.
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
04.08.2006 - 04:05
Zendrian
Account deleted
This album is a master piece i dont get bored whit it, all the songs are ameizing specialy typhon and tree ships of berik (part one).
exelent review derrozzengarten
20.09.2006 - 23:58
DarkAngelCosmo
Account deleted
one of my favorite albums so far.....believe it or not..even my grandfather who is 90 years old thinks this is a great band
coool isn't it?
22.09.2006 - 07:58
Rating: 9
Robstar

Good album indeed , not of of my favorite I prefer their old stuff ..
But yeah good album ...
Therion kicks ass ...
----
Nothing is unreacheable
17.07.2008 - 20:38
Rating: 10
ioannisk

The Dreams of Swedenborg, Lemuria: masterpieces!!!!!!!!!! This is an huge album!!!!!!
25.11.2009 - 18:06
Rating: 10
Dominus
The Shooter
I love this album, is a master piece !!!

Hits total: 6000 | This month: 13