Metal Storm logo
What should be the non-metalheads stereotypical metal song?

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 03.01.2010 - 17:12
Hmm, probably a song that everyone knows, has an anthemic feel about it and possibly a fast part somewhere, something like Seek and Destroy, Heaven & Hell, Fear of the Dark, Master of Puppets, Breaking the Law, The Hellion/Electric Eye, Holy Diver, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Crazy Train, Symphony of Destruction, Denim & Leather, You Got Another Thing Comin', Wild Child by Wasp..

i find it pretty difficult from that list to choose anything.. probably You've got Another Thing Comin' but that's just me.

anyway if you want total stereotypical metal though, as in something like, when showing it to someone who hasn't heard metal in his life, something you can say "90% of metal sounds similar to this" regardless of how many people like/dislike the band, like it or not it's Manowar's anthems, they are imo by far the most typical metal band, it doesn't get much more typically metal than Kings of Metal, Call to Arms, Metal Daze, The Gods Made Heavy Metal, Return of the Warlord or (of course) Warriors of the World United.
05.04.2012 - 03:06
Grody2themax

Before I really got into metal it all just sounded like drums, grunts/screams, and heavily distorted guitar that I couldn't make out a melody at all for. So, instead of something really good. I'd have to say that something like Cannibal Corpse's Hammer Smashed Face is a good pick to represent metal. Even though its not nearly the best song in the whole genre of metal its something that a lot of people can't handle and thats good imo. I don't want the average person to think highly of metal because its definitely not for everyone.

I refuse to believe that anyone thinks Nickelback is metal. I notice some metalheads have this elitist view of their intellect vs different people's intellect. Yea, some people aren't as into music as you are, but you'd have to be fucking retarded to think they're stupid enough to think of metal as some shitty Bon Jovi song.
05.04.2012 - 13:56
Pazu

Quote:
If you could choose a song that best represents metal to a non-metalhead what would it be?

That's really difficult, since metal is probably the most diverse musical genre out there. If that's true, then something by Amorphis would probably be as good an summary as possible. They play a weird mix of traditional heavy metal with folk, death and progressive influences. If I had to pick a song, I'd choose 'Song Of The Sage'.
06.04.2012 - 06:51
Mattybu

There's simply too much lyrically and stylistically to give someone an idea of everything metal has to offer in one song, but I think the song for me would be Postmortem/Raining Blood by Slayer. That is some fucking metal right there.

OR, like that 10 second part of Ghost Love Score by Nightwish that's on shock sites. That embodies the true spirit of metal \m/ (I say that with tinges of sarcasm but also seriousness; despite it being on a bunch of shock sites, when you listen to that whole song that part hits hard)
07.04.2012 - 13:19
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Something by Machine Head - maybe "Beautiful Mourning".
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
27.03.2013 - 13:50
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
This song. Full of mainstream appeal, great lyrics, and a good voice to capture their attention, but also full of that metal speed and aggression. I imagine this whole album is a great entry point into metal for the current generation.
----
27.03.2013 - 14:10
Jtbmetal123

I would probably show them Metallica Master Of Puppets. Everybody knows and loves that song.
16.04.2013 - 23:13
nasmith

As overplayed as it is, "Master of Puppets."