04. Moonlapse Vertigo
05. Face Of Melinda
06. Serenity Painted Death
07. White Cluster

Top 20 albums of 1999: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 18
Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Maestro Musik and Studio Fredman studios during the Summer of 1999.
Produced by Mikael Åkerfeldt.
Sound settings and additional engineering by Isak Edh & Fredrik Nordström.
Mixed by Fredrik Nordström & Opeth
Mastered at The Mastering Room by Goran Finnberg.
Booklet design by Travis Smith and Opeth.
Photos by Harry Välimaki and Travis Smith.

All music & lyrics written by Åkerfeldt.

Remastered version by Jens Borgen was released in 2008 through Peaceville Records which included reworked artwork, 5.1 surround sound, and a video of "Face Of Melinda" taken from The Roundhouse Tapes.

Staff review by
Deadsoulman
Rating:
Thanks to Still Life, I have become an Opeth fan, simply because it has all I ask: at the same time violent and calm, heavy and melodic, metal and acoustic, the long songs, the wonderful singing, the perfect musicians, the sublime quality of the songwriting... I still wonder how can one not give the highest rating to an Opeth album, and especially to this one, which is for me their best.

Read more ››
published 18.09.2003 | Comments (30)

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
Technicality, Progression, Complexity, a lot of solos, and some other good things describe Opeth's music, Still Life is one of those albums that everyone loves, that everyone talks about, so I decided to buy it, actually I have this album since 2000 but anyway that does not matter.

This album is generally good, of course for those persons that consider Opeth's music as Death Metal this album will be hideously boring and dull, but dudes Opeth is not only death metal, in fact the best thing in Opeth is their versatility and flexibility in the music they create, of course also the complexity and everything else is brilliant, but the main thing is their adaptability.

Read more ››
published 21.01.2005 | Comments (18)

Guest review by
Xaphiris
Rating:
I don't know a lot of bands who, like Opeth, progress so much after each album and stay so good. Alongside the brutality of death metal, which is the fuel of Opeth, there is a very strong progressive side which are of past generations, old and even obscure rock and metal bands from he '70s. Their progression was short lived, but thanks to Mike Akerfeldt, their soul lives on in Opeth.

Read more ››
published 10.08.2006 | Comments (19)

Found in 120 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 2666 users
04.01.2010 - 06:46
Immortal

Such an awesome album, I've been listening to this for about 6 years now and I'm still not bored of it.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche
04.01.2010 - 12:04
Rating: 8
Warman
Erotic Stains
Yes, this is an amazing album. But somehow most of the songs doesn't get to me, like other Opeth tracks. "The Moor" and "Benighted" are masterpieces though.
----
04.01.2010 - 16:01
Rating: 10
Elio
Red Nightmare
It's really hard to pick a "favourite Opeth album", but this one is very close to the definition.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
07.08.2011 - 19:06
Rating: 9
aerobat97

"Face of Melinda" and "The Moor" are amazing songs.
27.09.2011 - 20:31
Regolith

'Perfect. Absolutely perfect. This is the single most influencial piece of musical work ever (for me). From start to finish it is amazing. The whole album is put together perfectly. Songs flow togther in perfect fashion. Riff after riff your musical senses are assulted, tickled, pleased or un-nerved.

Did I mention it's perfect?

'Moonlapse Vertigo' is my personal favorite, as well as 'The Moor', 'Face of Melinda' and 'Serenity Painted Death'.

I highly recommend you get it, sit down, hit play, look at the album art, read the insert/lyrics and let it sink in.
28.02.2012 - 01:54
musicalkaratekid

I don't know what it is about listening to this album at midnight with absolutely no disturbances whatsoever, but its something magical, I'll say. Originally i didn't actually know this was a conceptual record, but i don't think it really matters, given the fact that this album some of Opeth's best riffs and melodies, sometimes together in one song. That's all I can say.
01.03.2012 - 20:56
Pelagial

Very very good
03.05.2012 - 14:59
Tiglath Pileser

Has anybody heard the 5.1 remix of this album? Especially The Moor and Godhead's Lament are amazing. Amazing riffs, changes in rhythm and mood, touching lyrics.

Quite a perfect album, accompanied with some beautiful melancholic artwork. Perfection indeed!
10.06.2012 - 01:24
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
One of the greatest concept albums I have ever heard in music period. The acoustic break in "Godhead's Lament" is one of the most beautiful moments I have ever heard.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
06.08.2012 - 06:34
Void Eater
Account deleted
I hate this album because it's so fucking good that whenever I try to listen to anything else by Opeth, I stop and play something from this album.
11.09.2012 - 20:22
Angry Chair

Second best to Blackwater park but only just. Simply a masterpiece.

----
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot
11.09.2012 - 20:50
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Still one of the best progressive albums
12.11.2012 - 20:57
Erik M.

One of Opeth's best albums for sure: an obvious masterpiece. I like every track a lot except for Benighted (though it's still good). The Moor is probably my favourite track (the intro is amazing).
15.11.2012 - 16:47
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Probably my favorite Opeth album... Always found it superior to Blackwater Park.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
28.12.2012 - 01:54
megadeath13
Account deleted
Most similar sounding album to Blackwater Park and its nearly as perfect!
17.01.2013 - 18:02
Rating: 7
Norther

Few years ago i got a song of that band , i still remember i liked only the finish of song but now is time to take that album , i saw good votes/comments so how many songs i like i give a beer \m/
29.01.2013 - 01:12
InnerSelf
proofread free
Talk about a brilliant album, you have two absolutely timeless tracks : Godhead's Lament and Serenity Painted Death and then another 5 brilliant tracks ... I think in terms of the more extreme Opeth riffs (Death Metal riffs), this album has the best of those.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
24.05.2013 - 02:54
quisableed
Account deleted
I think i'm in love with melinda
07.07.2013 - 17:58
mz

Quiet a fucking masterpiece in every fucking way possible. Extreme vocals are probably the best death metal vocals I've ever heard and also riffing is just prefect. A timeless classic without any doubt
The only thing I can do is this :
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
27.02.2014 - 21:07
EtaArgus

Perfection is the word here.
28.02.2014 - 00:03
Daniell
_爱情_
Godhead's Lament - my favourite song.
10.06.2014 - 17:35
Sang Dalang Abu

Surely after 11 years past.... "Still Life" owning.
Make me loveee all masterpiece songs in this album.
14.08.2014 - 12:16
telephonebear
Account deleted
Written by deadone on 16.06.2014 at 04:59

Definitely a landmark album. Serenity Painted Death is one of my favourite Opeth songs!

Only thing that pisses me off is I've been unable to get a replacement copy since mine died (old CD player ate it somehow with a big unfixable scratch) unless I want a 5.1 version. Every time I've ordered it, it never arrives.

i got the stereo double disc pack. tbh i watched the bonus face of melinda live video but other than that i never touch the second disc. it comes in quite a nice case, but i would have just got the normal audio cd if i could
22.08.2014 - 06:27
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
More spiteful and intense than the rest of their discography, but still as intricate and nuanced as Blackwater Park. The guitar work is unsurprisingly outstanding, and their concept of complexity and variation is showcased effortlessly with some captivating moments. I won't bore anyone reading through this slew of mini-reviews with more complaints about acoustic breaks and clean vocals, but that is the only reason this doesn't get more love from me. When they're doing what I like Opeth to be doing, they're a force.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.08.2014 - 06:53
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Guest on 14.08.2014 at 12:16

Written by deadone on 16.06.2014 at 04:59

Definitely a landmark album. Serenity Painted Death is one of my favourite Opeth songs!

Only thing that pisses me off is I've been unable to get a replacement copy since mine died (old CD player ate it somehow with a big unfixable scratch) unless I want a 5.1 version. Every time I've ordered it, it never arrives.

i got the stereo double disc pack. tbh i watched the bonus face of melinda live video but other than that i never touch the second disc. it comes in quite a nice case, but i would have just got the normal audio cd if i could

Is that the one in the red case where the booklet is attached to the case? That's the one I've got. The 2nd disc has some sort of fancy stereo (or something like that) version of the album. I've only heard it once, cause it needs to be played in the dvd player instead of a cd player. It sounds a bit different, bit like a different mix of the album.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
23.08.2014 - 00:04
telephonebear
Account deleted
Written by M C Vice on 22.08.2014 at 06:53

Is that the one in the red case where the booklet is attached to the case? That's the one I've got. The 2nd disc has some sort of fancy stereo (or something like that) version of the album. I've only heard it once, cause it needs to be played in the dvd player instead of a cd player. It sounds a bit different, bit like a different mix of the album.

yep, thats the one. as i said ive never even properly heard the stereo mix. the box is quite nice, apart from the fact it doesnt fit in a cd rack which always annoys me. i like the how the booklet has an image in the style of the cover on each page representing the story. i think it might be the only way to get the cover that doesnt have the torn and damaged effect
09.03.2015 - 19:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This album don't works for me, well title ''Still Life'' yes still life it is after this, but comparing what was before I talk about 1-2 albums, and this, well I don't judge, but seems band needs some changes, or its just me, listening a-z in such short period of time basically in days
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.04.2015 - 20:19
me<3mertl

I really don't like progressive metal,but this is simply amazing!
26.07.2015 - 22:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by me<3mertl on 17.04.2015 at 20:19

I really don't like progressive metal,but this is simply amazing!

I don't like now, only few bands but more I live more I like this band, now many better bands out there, don't see anything special into this
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.11.2015 - 20:28
MeloMania

My friend listened to this album while high, and his head exploded in sheer amazement.

Hits total: 52977 | This month: 95