03. Fight Or Die
04. This Means War
05. We March
06. Heroes Never Die
07. Underworld
08. Let The Battle Begin
09. War Age
10. When Tomorrow Comes

After To Glory We Ride almost exactly a year ago, Warbringer is the second album of self-proclaimed "battle metal" band No Remorse No Retreat. I can't tell you who's behind this five-piece outfit from Wales as both band and label keep the members identities a secret. The official biography is rather sparing as well and runs as follows:

"No Remorse No Retreat rose from the ashes guided by the spirits of the fallen. Now the horde march to war! Wielding Gibsons like modern day axes and armed with mesa-boogie rectifiers, the onslaught has begun! Resistance is futile! Nothing stands in the way!
Bring your eardrums to the slaughter and perish in the noise, the fire and the fury!
"

While the attitude seems rather Manowar-esque (luckily without band-photos sporting nothing but loincloths), the music isn't completely unsimilar either. NWOBHM goes dirty seems to be the motto and as such the band sounds like a raw, thrashy and dirty version of heavy metal from the isle. Lyrically the song titles should give you a perfectly clear picture of what these guys sing about, especially as some of the titles are repeated forty-something times throughout the respective track.

Not only text-wise but also musically this isn't the band you want to listen to if originality is your thing. While the massively down-tuned guitar work doesn't sound bad at all, it doesn't sound unfamiliar either, what does give their sound something like a personal stamp is the very rough vocal approach. As for the songwriting; I'll just say it's all being kept a little bit too simple for my tastes. The raw oldschool production on the other hand is great and compliments the album perfectly.

Warbringer isn't a bad album per se, actually it has a few moments where it really shines. But in the end it's lack of innovation and diversity makes it forgettable and an album only to be fully enjoyed by hardcore fans of the genre.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written by Bas | 07.01.2010

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 158 users
07.01.2010 - 18:57
GT
Coffee!!
Who cares about originality anyway I think I might check this one out
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
07.01.2010 - 20:20
Valentin B
Iconoclast
LOL i love how they brag about their instruments
07.01.2010 - 21:17
deadrival

Downloaded the album it kicks ass!! How is it not origional?? They dont sound like any other band i know,i couldnt even put them into a catorgory.This is real metal ,they are excellent!. This is what metal needs;D:beer:
08.01.2010 - 20:09
Magatouve
Account deleted
Sounds amusing and great for a gig... but it seems this band don't go live, which is a real shame
08.01.2010 - 21:19
deadrival

Maybe we can tempt them to USA? It would be great to see them,they are my newest favorite band:) awesome
08.01.2010 - 22:46
Vána

This band actually tours a lot, I've seen them 3 times in Winnipeg, Canada.
09.01.2010 - 00:19
Magatouve
Account deleted
Written by Vána on 08.01.2010 at 22:46

Do they? their website doesn't even have a section for live gigs? Also, taking into consideration them concealing their identities, I thought they don't perform live! Maybe with masks?
10.01.2010 - 01:10
Vána

Written by Guest on 09.01.2010 at 00:19

Written by Vána on 08.01.2010 at 22:46

Do they? their website doesn't even have a section for live gigs? Also, taking into consideration them concealing their identities, I thought they don't perform live! Maybe with masks?

My apologies, I only read the comments briefly and thought this was about the band Warbriner, not the album. I only realised just now. I don't even know this band and have never seen them.
10.01.2010 - 01:21
Magatouve
Account deleted
I was wondering, how come a Welsh obscure new band happened to tour Canada 3 times

Anyway, it happens a lot. After many bands started to call themselves after metal songs, or vice versa, things have become somewhat confusing
10.01.2010 - 19:06
deadrival

Shame:( maybe one day.

Hits total: 6470 | This month: 15