Metal Storm logo
Wizard

Original post

Posted by Baz Anderson, 31.07.2006 - 17:19
German power metal band Wizard never get mentioned much compared to other bands, at least they dont from where I am sitting.
I therefore actually dont have any idea how many people know or like them, or what peoples opinions on them are other then some people think they are nothing special and dont bring anything new into their albums.

I guess that does have some truth to it though - they are not such a different band compared to others, but does that really matter if they play good music?
I think they sound like early Blind Guardian even though on this site it is Helloween that has them under similar bands and not Blind Guardian

So any people out there that do know them or want to get to know them - pop in here and leave a message.

I have all of their albums apart from the newest one. I dont know which is my favorite though - they all have their good points.
If i had to pick one though, it would probably be 'Head Of The Deciever' - they are all good albums though and worth getting in to.
23.05.2007 - 00:20
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Written by Susan on 22.05.2007 at 20:35

At first I didn't love it (too much cheese to digest at once, maybe?) but now I can appreciate all the power metal goodness!

I had the same reaction of their latest album, and I was already a fan of theirs
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
23.05.2007 - 19:20
APOHAKC
The Bard
I love new album from the first listening, I never found Wizard cheese and actually they are one of the most under rated bands on whole metal scene if you ask me. They start playing long time ago and some of their albums are classics. Their lyrics are also very good, at least to me (some of my friends hate them), especially on Odin album, they wrote better lyrics about Nordic mythologie than dozens of Viking/Black/Folk/Pagan or whatever bands
----
They say that we are gone but I can't let you down
The heathen faith will rise again we won't fail now
I know we cannot die forever is our time
Give my people back to me free from Christianity!!!!
09.09.2007 - 17:44
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
So I have just paid 62.50 Euros to buy Son of Darkness CD!!! And that does NOT include shipping!! : (yes iti is called "Obsession")

How much does it cost the band to re-issue a CD?!
----
"Rhaegar fought valiantly, Rhaegar fought nobly, Rhaegar fought honorably. And Rhaegar died."
Ser Jorah Mormont
09.09.2007 - 18:33
Baz Anderson
Staff
wow!! that's crazy..
you must be rich!! haha
09.09.2007 - 18:48
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
Not really! But this was my argument:

I have been looking for this particular CD for years, and here it is, so will I justify my complaints later on if I do not get it saying I cannot find it, but it was available to me at a certain price and I let go of it?!

Hmmm so I decided to put a bid on the item, unfortunately others wanted it too,, so the bid went higher, and actually if the other guy increased his bid by a couple of more Euros I would have lost the bid!

Next mission: find the second Wizard CD
----
Ser Jorah Mormont
09.09.2007 - 22:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
hahahaha well good for you!! I nearly payed some high prices for some rare Sinner albums.. but decided against it in the end just sticking with downloaded versions
still.. I have quite a lot of real Sinner albums, a few rare ones..
10.09.2007 - 00:36
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Bararey on 09.09.2007 at 18:48

Not really! But this was my argument:

I have been looking for this particular CD for years, and here it is, so will I justify my complaints later on if I do not get it saying I cannot find it, but it was available to me at a certain price and I let go of it?!

Hmmm so I decided to put a bid on the item, unfortunately others wanted it too,, so the bid went higher, and actually if the other guy increased his bid by a couple of more Euros I would have lost the bid!

Next mission: find the second Wizard CD

What is the second? I can sell you Odin Digipack CD, limited edition
----
10.09.2007 - 01:02
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
@Aronax,

LMAO,, not for that price I wouldn't do it again

And the second album is "Battle of Metal" that one if you have it we can renegotiate
----
Ser Jorah Mormont
10.09.2007 - 01:51
APOHAKC
The Bard
Not for that price, I'll give you for 50 euros, but just because you are my friend

Sorry, I don't have 2nd album But if I find it, I'll let you know, and I won't sell it for such price, price cut for fellow metalstormer
----
10.09.2007 - 04:18
Lowelas OF FIRE
Account deleted
Man these guys caused their myspace to really suck , they have like no older songs to stream in the player!
10.09.2007 - 16:39
APOHAKC
The Bard
I can't blame them, they changed their sound a little, and they want to promote it now, nothing strange, and I love new songs, maybe even more than old.
----
10.09.2007 - 20:05
Baz Anderson
Staff
I think the newer albums ("Head Of The Deceiver" [their best album!!] onwards) are definitely better than the old ones.. there is no doubt about it at all - they are such metter musicians
yeh, the old albums have some good songs but they are nothing compared to the newer ones
10.09.2007 - 20:10
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.09.2007 at 20:05

I think the newer albums ("Head Of The Deceiver" [their best album!!] onwards) are definitely better than the old ones.. there is no doubt about it at all - they are such metter musicians
yeh, the old albums have some good songs but they are nothing compared to the newer ones

Maybe you would like to buy Odin digipack limited edition from me Barry?
----
10.09.2007 - 22:40
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
Written by APOHAKC on 10.09.2007 at 20:10

Written by Baz Anderson on 10.09.2007 at 20:05

Maybe you would like to buy Odin digipack limited edition from me Barry?

i might be interested, but not for the price Bararey was talking about earlier of course
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
11.09.2007 - 03:58
APOHAKC
The Bard
Of cause not, exchange is possible.
----
11.09.2007 - 04:02
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
I can see that none of you are "passionate" in obtaining CDs (or addicted call it whatever you like )

I don't understand you, Aronax, wanting to sell Odin,,, that's a great album!

And Bas come on, that price i think was reasonable for an album that is hard to find (I paid $35 for darkmoon's demo though,, much cheaper compared to this one!), especially that Wizard is not intending on re-issueing them, according to your interview with the drummer
----
Ser Jorah Mormont
11.09.2007 - 11:20
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
i didn't say anything about the price, i know that that album is almost impossile to get by now..i just stated the obvious that i wouldn't pay that much for odin, which is way easier to get, i myself would pay even much more for the first two darkmoon demos for example, i (kinda) understand you, don't worry!

btw guys and gals, what's your favourite track on goochan?
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
11.09.2007 - 15:44
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
In Goochan I like "Lonely in Desert Land" and "Call to the dragon" as well as the "Witch of the Enchanted Forest"

So is the band playing/planning on playing live this year?
----
Ser Jorah Mormont
11.09.2007 - 16:11
Baz Anderson
Staff
"Call To The Dragon" and "Sword Of Vengeance" are probably my favourites on the new album - I haven't listened to it in a while now though so I think maybe it's due another go

Wizard aren't much of a touring band really.. they would if they could but the demand for them outside of Germany just isn't so great unfortunately
11.09.2007 - 16:43
APOHAKC
The Bard
Written by Bararey on 11.09.2007 at 04:02

I can see that none of you are "passionate" in obtaining CDs (or addicted call it whatever you like )

I don't understand you, Aronax, wanting to sell Odin,,, that's a great album!

And Bas come on, that price i think was reasonable for an album that is hard to find (I paid $35 for darkmoon's demo though,, much cheaper compared to this one!), especially that Wizard is not intending on re-issueing them, according to your interview with the drummer

I am definitely not passionate in obtaining CDs, I only buy original vinyls, and they are even more expensive here, cause, they are harder to find. I agree that Odin is great album, my ex girlfriend bought me that limited edition in France four years ago, I would never sell it, but the truth is that I am in lousy financial situation right now. I already sold Thanatos Angelic Encounters digi pack signed by Stefan Gebbedi cause I owe some money around.

From Goochan, my favorite would be Witch Of The Enchanted Forest, Pale Rider and black Worms, but I love all songs, I remember when I got that album, I put it in GTA and listen it during whole game, and, it is for a long time since I have 98% of the game, I remember Grave Digger's Liberty Or Death was actual in that time too, so I listened first Grave Digger, than Wizard, than Grave Digger, than Wizard...
----
11.09.2007 - 19:47
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
huh, see I don't get that,, why do people buy vinyls?! I mean the sound quality on those things are really not that good!
----
Ser Jorah Mormont
11.09.2007 - 20:33
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Bararey on 11.09.2007 at 19:47

huh, see I don't get that,, why do people buy vinyls?! I mean the sound quality on those things are really not that good!

haha, its the whole feeling of putting the needle on yourself and watching the record spin round making music..
I find it fascinating
12.09.2007 - 00:52
APOHAKC
The Bard
YEAH me to!!!! ...and to be honest, if you have good machine, than vinyls sounds MUCH better than CDs
----
12.09.2007 - 16:57
Bararey
Winter is Coming
Elite
The CD spins too,, get one of those clear CD players

well sorry I still don't get it,, they are harder to find, more expensive, BIG, and you cannot take it with you, plus it must damage a lot quicker than the CD! I only see the downside of it

And when I see people at the store buying vinyl records they are mostly older guys who i think are trying to relive their childhood, so if my analysis is right, you two should start acquiring Compacts
----
Ser Jorah Mormont
12.09.2007 - 17:52
Baz Anderson
Staff
hahaha all my music collection is in CDs.. I buy CDs.. it's just that I like the vinyl a lot as well
I have the original two "Keeper" Helloween albums and the "Live In The U.K." album all on vinyl and the drawings and notes in them are much much much better than in the CDs..
CDs are more convienient but you can't ignore the vinyl
12.09.2007 - 18:06
APOHAKC
The Bard
Vinyl till death, no surrender, no retreat!

I am definitely not older guy, but I still prefer vinyl sound. I have whole Black Sabbath discography, all Iron Maiden albums till No Prayers For The Dying, including that one, few Anthrax vinyls, Abigail and Abigail II from King Diamond (currently chasing Voodoo for 45 euros) and many more, mostly UG bands.

Sure, I like CDs, but much less than vinyls, and you can tell some girl, do you want to go to my place and listen some vinyls..
----
26.11.2009 - 21:39
I actually saw them in a listeners also bought in itunes for grim reaper another largely unknown but brilliant band